NEW! diffractionbegone results

jimdgoulding

Re: NEW! diffractionbegone results
« Reply #60 on: 26 Nov 2007, 07:45 am »
Sat-  I thought your speakers looked pretty delicious if I do say so.  Good feedback on those bad boys, too.  I know you enjoyed the festivities.  I know I would have.  Good job, Mike, I'm sure.     

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #61 on: 26 Nov 2007, 12:15 pm »
Actually Jim,now that you brought it up, there were those who thought that your wool surrounds were more like masks that veiled or clouded the soundstage. In fact I was inclined to agree at the time. I don't know if it was the components that were being hooked up at the end of the day or what. I wasn't getting those reactions at the beginning tho with the Butlers/Modright setup which some thought were the best setup of the day with my Lorelei's. But I will say I did hear a negative reaction from them, I'd be lieing if I said I didn't.

Bottomline, at home and in my system, and after A/B'ing the hell out of them, your woolies are a nobrainer and make a very positive contribution to my already deep soundfield. :D I just can't explain why I didn't feel the same way at the end of the day at Mikes tho?  :dunno:

I do know that most of the audiophiles I've met so far are minimalists, they don't want anymore in their systems than possible to cloud/mask or in any way change the total accuracy of what they think they're suppose to hear,,, accuracy is everything. NOT ME. I have so much fluff in my system, it's like a kid having a banana split with the works on it.  :lol: Bybee's, Z-Sleeves, Z-der Blocks, BPT, ERS, Alan Mayer Power Enhancers, Quantum Symphony Pro,,, and of course the woolie surrounds. Is my sound accurate, no damn way. Is it involving? It moves the hell outta me and makes me happy everytime I turn it on and even more so, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything after hearing all these totally clean clear systems. I do enjoy listening to these systems but I'm sure the perfectionists wouldn't feel the same way if they could tryout a deep, oh so very deep soundstage. Unnatural they'd say. Well unnatural works just right for me.  :lol:

Just had to get this off my chest,,,,,,,  :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

ZLS

« Reply #62 on: 26 Nov 2007, 12:32 pm »
I agree with Satfrat, and the end of the day I enjoy my system better with the surrounds.  Foolishly, I thought that was the point.  Perhaps J. Gordon Holt considers me scum of the earth because my goal in listening to my system is happiness and emotional involvement not accuracy. 
    The surrounds do eliminate a distortion, how can that be a bad thing?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #63 on: 26 Nov 2007, 03:27 pm »
Wow!  My little woolies got auditioned?  Is the glass half full or half empty?  To each their own.  My imaging and staging benefit from the use of the surrounds along with the retrieval of information not heard previously.  Musical and spatial information like a more truthful linearity to the construction of things in time and a greater awareness of their position in space is going on in my room.  Space itself is heard to be more linear in simple recordings.  Or the short version- time, form, and space seem more truthful to me, hence, communication is improved.  I’m about that.  The fundamental sound has not changed, however, just my relationship to it has.

It don’t matter which side of the walk a person is on, they either get it or they don’t.  And in fairness, everybody has a different set of variables.  I do think my thing is better appreciated in a more intimate setting, however.  But I would dig hearing those Time Pieces anywhere!  Peace.  Jim

Wind Chaser

« Reply #64 on: 26 Nov 2007, 04:05 pm »
Jim,

I understand your "woolies" are designed for boxed speakers.  Does that mean quasi OB's need not apply, or is there potentially some conceivable benefit assuming they could be made to fit?

The fabulous GR Research OB-5 pictured above.

The RAW OB2X pictured below

jimdgoulding

« Reply #65 on: 26 Nov 2007, 04:42 pm »
Wind-  Do the 5's use domes for high frequency?  If so, yes, I think there would be a benefit and I can fit. The fact that they are boxless can be a good thing, I believe, but there is some culpable area adjacent to the tweeters.  At this time, I'm not sure about a benefit to vertical ribbons.  Another member a few posts back has those and I decided to try and let him be the test case.  What if I were to tell you to try me later?  I don't want to lose you, please understand, I'm just trying to get on solid ground before I can say.  Thanks.  Jim

Wind Chaser

« Reply #66 on: 26 Nov 2007, 04:50 pm »
Wind-  Do the 5's use domes for high frequency? 

Not a dome.  I believe it is a VR.

At this time, I'm not sure about a benefit to vertical ribbons.  Another member a few posts back has those and I decided to try and let him be the test case.  What if I were to tell you to try me later?  I don't want to lose you, please understand, I'm just trying to get on solid ground before I can say.

I appreciate that, Jim.  Perhaps if Danny or Al sees this they may comment.

John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #67 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:34 pm »
John-  I just got off the phone with the technical editor of Positive Feedback Online who, with her husband, is designing a speaker for production using a vertical ribbon.  They compose Jena Labs, if you happen to be familiar.  She has auditioned a pair of my surrounds and was very complimentary and will be sending me specifics of her design once the cabinets are ready for a little help from ole Jim.  Now, Ive known about about her intentions for some time but what I didn't know, until now, is that the ribbon she is going to production with is a vertical ribbon.  When I told her about your and another member's inquiry she said, and I quote, "Oh hell yeah, there'll be a benefit".  That's good enough for me to extend my guarantee and conditional confidence.

I propose to hand cut yours using another source of felt (it's black, but don't tell Sat) so I can keep it at the AC price of $29.99 plus shipping.  Were I to machine press like I do surrounds for round drivers, it would cost me the price of a linear yard of material and another template.  I'm not willing to go there quite yet.  Might you be a dealer?  Please advise.  Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:43 pm »

I propose to hand cut yours using another source of felt (it's black, but don't tell Sat) so I can keep it at the AC price of $29.99 plus shipping. 

Jim

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:        :nono:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #69 on: 26 Nov 2007, 10:31 pm »
Sat-  You are a funny devil.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #70 on: 26 Nov 2007, 11:09 pm »
I propose to hand cut yours using another source of felt (it's black, but don't tell Sat) so I can keep it at the AC price of $29.99 plus shipping.

Jim,

That's between you, me and the fence post.  For the time being, I am speakerless.  I will dabble once I'm in custody of my OB2X.  I also have a 2A3 SET on the way and plenty of time now that I am technically on a short leave with insomnia.

John

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 26 Nov 2007, 11:21 pm »
Sat-  You are a funny devil.

Just having a little fun.  :lol: That what you get for calling me out.  :thumb: I tried to PM ya dude but your your storage is maxxed out. Delete dude or you ain't getting no more business!!!  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2007, 11:25 pm »
Might you be a dealer?  Please advise.

As in am I, no; but could I, would I?  Maybe, but I'd have to experience this for myself first.  I most certainly plan to dabble.  Anything that can make a box speaker sound less like a box speaker is a very good thing! :thumb:

John

Looks like I might have to acquire some box speakers again... :cry:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #73 on: 26 Nov 2007, 11:36 pm »
Ok, Wind.  OK, Sat.  Thanks.  All clear.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #74 on: 27 Nov 2007, 05:12 am »

Thanks to Danny's excellent work at GR Reseach, I'm past the full range single driver thing...  Nonetheless do you think your product would have any effect on small (4" or less) FR single drivers?

John

jimdgoulding

« Reply #75 on: 27 Nov 2007, 06:25 am »
Absolutely.  I think that's what Zack is listening with.  I'm happy to accommodate.  Jim

Please be a little more descriptive for me.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2007, 01:52 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #76 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:14 am »
Members-  Please accept my apology for my opening remark on my last post.  I was a little under the weather last nite- it was a good year alright just too much of it- and accept my assurance that it won't happen again.  I realize that there are those of you who don't talk like that, don't appreciate my having talked like that, and may have children visiting here, too.  I regret my indiscretion.  Sorry.  Jim

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:44 am »
Members-  Please accept my apology for my opening remark on my last post.  I was a little under the weather last nite- it was a good year alright just too much of it- and accept my assurance that it won't happen again.  I realize that there are those of you who don't talk like that, don't appreciate my having talked like that, and may have children visiting here, too.  I regret my indiscretion.  Sorry.  Jim

Ya'know Jim,,, you can always go back any modify it. That option is always available. Hell, I'm doing that all the time, usually for spelling mistakes. But if it makes ya feel any better, I say F***in' A all the time myself, but I say it, not type it,,,,,,,, unless it's in a PM to you that is.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:51 am »
Thanks, mate.  I did.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #79 on: 28 Nov 2007, 08:32 am »
Wolfny-  I haven't had a chance to listen to the Rave compilations but color me stunned by the four individual recordings.  Like, they took over my room and could have charged admission!

I had lost track of the sequence of what was playing when I heard that beautiful theme played by the bassist on Last Tango.  What a great nice arrangement, too.  I hadn't given it any thought until I heard the bass solo.  Is that Eddie Gomez?

The Dutch thing has a ton of instrumentalists but what I just loved was that I never heard any congestion.  Very clear and distinct.

I loved the Ben Vaughn thing, too.  Especially the liveliness to the drums.  Everything in this, really.

But it was the Paul Chambers disc that blew my mind the most.  That's got to be an old recording what with the wide left/right channel separation and the mono miking of the piano.  On the tunes where the guitarist was comping a little off the mike I got a sense of a more natural stage and of course the placement of the drums in the right channel sounded stunningly real if confined.  Don't think I have ever heard brushes on a drum head sound more convincing.  And the few times the drummer struck a cymbal with a stick it just sounded so pure and delicious.  I could of used more of that.  Tone and timbre was good as all get out.  Modern recordings don't sound this good.  It was this recording where I felt touched by the most life.

In the last three, in particular, everything was sharp as a mosquito's peter with tons of air and photographically rendered but by no means two dimensional.  At least, around here.  I ain't no dummy.  Consistent throughout was excellent staging.  The Paul C. disc could have benefited from more modern thinking but I damn sure wouldn't have replaced those old mikes or sound board.  No sir.   

Now, I'm gonna see if I can get some info about these online.

Damn, Wolf, I don't know how to thank you.  Jim