NEW! diffractionbegone results

eico1

Re: NEW! diffractionbegone results
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2007, 04:28 am »
Is this different that the concept patented by Dunlavy? If not I'd expect that fact to be noted in the most obvious places.

thanks

steve

ooheadsoo

« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2007, 05:07 am »
I dunno what Dunlavy patented, but putting wool on baffles in general is certainly not one of them.  Check out Green Mountain's speakers and Lipinsky monitors.

They probably patented some obscure aspect of putting felt on the baffle just so they could say "it's patented."

eico1

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

eico1

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2007, 05:39 am »
A real life example:

And some discussion of the theory behind Dunlavy and Lipinsky implementation:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=68010

steve

ooheadsoo

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2007, 05:49 am »
I'm not a patent lawyer, but even if that patent were to be upheld, if created in 1976, in the US, the 20 year protection would have expired last year.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2007, 06:42 am »
I've had them on my Loreleis for about a week now and have logged about 3-4 hours dedicated listening each night. I used neoprene rings for a couple of years and have GIK panels at my first reflection point. The improvement over the neoprene rings is subtle but worthwhile. Clearer, more coherent imaging. A bit more upper frequency detail. Improved imaging wide of the speakers. Not a major revelation in my case but a very nice refinement, easily worth the cost. Only negative is appearance. The neoprene rings blend in with the tweeter face while Jim's product does not. 

It's a good product. The cuts are smooth. Jim does a good job. Could use a couple more velcro tabs IMO but those can be easily found. If you have no first refelection treatments you should realize a much greater benefit.

They are staying on my Loreleis.

PS- I long ago decided to not post first impressions. Too many "OMG- Blown away, they've been in use for 5 minutes" type reviews out there.

Just wanted to add that my Lors are black ash. That may be why the black neoprene rings blend in better.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2007, 06:47 am »
I've had them on my Loreleis for about a week now and have logged about 3-4 hours dedicated listening each night. I used neoprene rings for a couple of years and have GIK panels at my first reflection point. The improvement over the neoprene rings is subtle but worthwhile. Clearer, more coherent imaging. A bit more upper frequency detail. Improved imaging wide of the speakers. Not a major revelation in my case but a very nice refinement, easily worth the cost. Only negative is appearance. The neoprene rings blend in with the tweeter face while Jim's product does not. 

It's a good product. The cuts are smooth. Jim does a good job. Could use a couple more velcro tabs IMO but those can be easily found. If you have no first refelection treatments you should realize a much greater benefit.

They are staying on my Loreleis.

PS- I long ago decided to not post first impressions. Too many "OMG- Blown away, they've been in use for 5 minutes" type reviews out there.

Just wanted to add that my Lors are black ash. That may be why the black neoprene rings blend in better.

Sounds like you'd be better off than myself with oak Lorelei's. I just want that wool to blend in with the bottom driver.  aa Jim recommended a wool dye to try but the name escapes me. I was going to try shoe polish myself.  :oops:

Robin

hanguy

Another happy customer
« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2007, 06:58 am »
Received the surrounds for about 10 days but have not had a chance to listen to them until the last couple of days.

Prior to this change to my speakers, I added No Rez to the speaker cabinets and the imaging got a lot better. Adding the surrounds to my speakers now further solidify the images. Without the surrounds, the images were just floating better the speakers. With them, the intrument images sit more solidly in space and have more defined edges.

I found that by moving the surrounds just a tiny bit can help adjust the front to back depth.

With the cost of these surrounds, this is a no brainer purchase.

Good job, Jim.

Mike

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 10 Nov 2007, 07:32 am »
Steve said he would expect that were my product based on John Dunlavy’s concept it should be noted.  It has been my intention to do that from the start.  I have paid tribute to John Dunlavy elsewhere in Audio Circle and in my avatar.  I have also cited his findings from time to time although I may not have here.  I don’t remember.  When I applied with the USPTO in May, I used words very similar to what is described in the original patent only I specified it to be an aftermarket product (I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade as this is in use elsewhere).  I have been given a Patent Pending number although I expect every applicant is so long as the description doesn’t set off any alarms.  It did not, so it would seem.  I check with them monthly to see if there has been any progress. 

Dunlavy staggered his driver faces that he might time align the voice coils of his individual drivers for better time and impulse response.  This made the need for reflection control all the more necessary because the faces above and below his tweeter create a shelf or large cavity for tweeter waveforms to misbehave.  The man is a legend and a pioneer but I actually think Vandersteen’s approach makes more sense.  That is to make the individual enclosures free standing in a line so that the voice coils coalesce.  At the cost of some efficiency, I would imagine. 

For owners of traditional box speakers, I manufacture my product.  I custom fit as best I can.  Owners of traditional box speakers are my target market and those who stand to gain and are gaining from my efforts because of the purity of the signal they are getting minus early reflection.  It might interest you to know that I have replaced surrounds on two Dunlavy speakers.  They’re getting pretty long in the tooth. 

I have nothing but respect for John Dunlavy and mean to honor his findings and expand use of his principle to a larger audience.  We'll bust the top off a bottle of single malt someday.  

Cheers,
Jim Goulding

Fellas-   DYLON permanent fabric dye!  DO NOT coat them.

« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2007, 08:29 am by jimdgoulding »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 10 Nov 2007, 07:42 am »

Fellas-   DYLON permanent fabric dye!  DO NOT coat them.

Are you saying I can't do the washer method of dyeing like I would do with other clothing dyes? That's the only way I've ever dyed stuff Jim.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:05 am »
Er, ah . . you bet your damn skippy that's what I'm saying!  Get you a shallow pan or baking dish.  You know, one that's large and rectangular.  Mix in half the pack of dye with hot water.  Stir it around.  Lay one of both of your surrounds in there side by side for four hours, turning them over every hour.  Baste those bad boys occasionally just like you would a turkey, turkey.  Rinse in cold water and air dry.  They'll look good!  But you fingers might look odd for awhile.  LOL.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:13 am »
But you fingers might look odd for awhile.  LOL.

No glove....no love.... :lol:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #33 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:26 am »
Why didn't I think of that?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:32 am »
Jim....

See any problem using your product on these....

Shamrock Audio Keelin speakers ? Thanks..... :thumb:

Chris

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:41 am »
No.  Absolutely not.  I'm delighted.   

lonewolfny42

« Reply #36 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:52 am »
No.  Absolutely not.  I'm delighted.   
Good..... 8)

Filled out your form....but your paypal  page is where ??? :scratch:

Return
to this site and go to the
next page to pay by
PayPal or credit card.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2007, 09:02 am by lonewolfny42 »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:08 am »
It's on the "Quotes/pics" page at my website.  You'll see a BuyNow button.  Let me trouble you for the distance from the tweeter basket to the speaker edges and the height of the enclosure.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:16 am »
It's on the "Quotes/pics" page at my website.  You'll see a BuyNow button.  Let me trouble you for the distance from the tweeter basket to the speaker edges and the height of the enclosure.
Tweeters are off set.....1 inch on one side....2 inches on the other side.
They are 20 1/2 inches tall.
Shamrock Audio has an archived Circle here....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:19 am »
Bueno!  Were you able to PayPal alright?   Five working days you'll have your package. Thank you.  jim   

Oh.  As I sometimes have to remind customers . . your postage costs is $1.84.  Cheers.