Mark and Daniels Ruby

bbchem

Mark and Daniels Ruby
« on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm »
 :D :lol:  Just got my pair of Mark and Daniels Rubies. If you have read my other posts, on my search for the Holy Grail, I have had 30+ pair of loudspeakers and umpteen amps. I am getting closer to the musical truth as I go along purchasing loudspeakers which I love the most. I have recently jumped to Single Driver full range speakers, and along comes MArk And Daniels who decided to turn everything upside down. I read a few reviews about them and considered the reviewers ( 6 Moons) to be trust worthy since they actually purchased 2 Rubies and one Maximus! I set up the Speakers in a room thats 15 x 20 and can hardly see them they are so small. I don't care about size, but I care deeply for Detail, soundstage, image, clarity etc; I have three subs in case of bass disappointment. I have listened for about 15 hours so far, and the speakers  have blown me away. I am talking about sound stage that defies not only their size, but better than most floorstanders that have the normal " Great Sound" reviews. The bass is shocking without the sub, it is deep tight and goes down to the 40's quite easily. But since I have 3 subs, I figured it can't hurt to add it. I am really feeling that these are two giant wonderful imaging, soundstaging babies. The price is reasonable considering that they sound as good as some of my $10,000 floorstanders that seem to overwhelm the music soemtimes. These resolve detail like nobodies business. I am using two amps>> A PRoceed AMP2 =150wpc and an older Carver 1,5T and play SACD and CD through a transport and DAC. I listen to every type of music possible, and I just keep listening to the music at this point. I usually dissect the speakers and forget about the fact that you are supposed to enjoy the music. I buy ad sell equipment frequently because I always think something will be better. These will probably last a long long time in my system. Congrats to M&D!!!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2007, 01:26 am by bbchem »

chgolatin2

Re: Mark and Daniels Ruby
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007, 02:44 am »
Can you post a link with additional info and also the 6 moon article?  Also, and if you dont mind me asking.  What what their cost? 

bbchem

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007, 11:50 am »
Here some of the links>> Many awards so far. All listeners were shocked at the Canada show and New York >>

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/markdaniel3/ruby.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/markdaniel3/ruby_3.html

http://www.mark-daniel.com/english_m/about.htm

Some Quotes>>

"I could hear deep-sea diving, uncluttered bass right from the start. The mid to high range was crystal clear and transparent. And so coherent!¬The Maximus reminded me of being in the recording studio during my days; when orchestral music played, I felt like being the conductor, with the full ensemble wrapping around me. The soundstage was wide open and layered like a big onion. Incredible detail and microdynamics - you wouldn't have to search for them, they'd come and get you. This is the most revealing speaker I've ever encountered."
- David Kan, reviewer Toronto
6moons hi-end on-line magazine
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/markdaniel/maximus.html
-------------------------------------------------------
BEST SYSTEM VALUE -
STEREOMOJO.COM
Mark & Daniel Speakers>>

Asked what room most stood out, two audio enthusiasts from Ontario said, “The white room”!
“The white room”, I queried?
“Yes. The room with all the white speakers”, they both nodded. The taller one pulled out a brochure. “Here, these!”, he smiled.
It was the Mark & Daniel catalogue.
I had just left the room for the third time in 4 days. Picking a particular product as best in show is one thing, picking a whole room and system is another. In the end, it came down to this room and the MBL room that featured the MBL 121 stand mounted monitor. Those honeys cost $12,300 per pair in a piano the Rubys cost $1600!

bbchem

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2007, 11:51 am »
I BOUGHT A DEMO PAIR FOR $1300

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2007, 12:51 pm »
So can you say that your found your match in heaven with these speakers?  Are you done with your search or once you hear another "outstanding" review on a mag you will rush to get yourself another different pair?

bbchem

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2007, 07:56 pm »
  :lol: Dear Sir, Although I probably should just hire a live band whenever I wanted to listen to music, I would probably not like that all the time and find fault with the actual players. To answer your question, I probably will always be curious if there is something else out there that may float my boat more than these. So far I have kept the small floorstanding Horn Shoppe Horns which for me have the absolutely perfect vocal uncolored and pure. The Mark and Daniels are outstanding on vocal but the real killer is that they play very complex passages with such utter detail, separation and clarity that my other 29 pairs of speakers never could do for me. Together between the bass, vocal and instrumental I can't conceive of anything within a few times the price range that can do all this.   My recent curiosity was to have >> Von Schwiekert 4JRs,  Gallo 3.1 and Zu druids. I guess I will keep wondering for a while. I

I also love the look of Loudspeakers and some like Cars seem to interest me more than others although this means nothing to the actual sound.

Regards, Bill     :thumb:

kahana

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2007, 09:02 pm »
Hi, I also have a newly acquired pair of M&D Ruby's.  I own several other speakers, including three-way monitors found elsewhere in these forums, and electrostats.  The mid-range has opened up significantly in the first few weeks.  On some recordings the bass can still be a bit overwhelming -- but this could be my room.  Othwerwise, everything written here is absolutely correct.  They are so stunningly accurate, they convey recording venue/ ambiance better than anything else I've heard so far.  As I said to Mark a couple weeks after break-in, I now want to throw away my di-poles.  Really.  I highly recommend you find some to demo and form your own opinion.

bbchem

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 12:12 am »
 :lol:

Thanks Kahana for verifying my very thoughts. What Dipoles are you talking about??? Also, you realize that saying that the bass was overwhelming is an OXYMORON given the tiny size of the monitors. Actually one of the Six Moons reviewers said that to his amazement, the bass can actually be overwhelming in certain areas. In my room the bass is astounding with or without using my subwoofer. I am most impressed about the quality of the mid bass which since I play the drums, is a wonderful sound if done right and not boomy or muddy

Regards, Bill    :thumb:

bbchem

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2007, 01:23 am »
 :roll:
I was just reading on STEREOMOJO.COM some impressions of Home Theater 2007 show of the Magico Minis($27k). I was suprised when the reviewer was comparing the Mark and Daniels MAximus ($2900) with Omni Harmonizers ($900)to the $27k Magicos and the MBLs ($12000). Read below>> Remember, I currently have the Rubys (S1600) and the Omni Harmonizers ($900)

>>> QUOTE FROM STEREOMOJO.COM HE2007 SHOW<<<<

The new Mini’s cost $27k for the pair (I think that includes the stands) and sound better than the $22k Magico floorstanders Goodmans was playing on Friday. Lowest bass notes are missing in action, but the speakers were commendably flat to around 50Hz. In addition to the quiet classical tape, we played Fanfare for the Common Man (RR CD). This is how I found out the lowest octave was missing. Above that, good slam and timbre. Still, I didn’t see the magic in these speakers, which sounded very good, but did not make me think they’re worth the money. There are plenty of players at this price point now, and most offer better dynamics, slam and extension. Alan Wolff from Magico was on hand to oversee the demo
James: Terrific sound, aided by yet another reel-to-reel machine. Maybe I shouldn’t have sold my Revox B77. Several reviewers have raved about the “Magic Mini’s”, but for $27 large I can think of other speakers I’d own first. Several others – that actually have a low end.
I’d love to compare these with the Mark & Daniel Maximus Monitors I’m reviewing at the moment. They won a Maximum Mojo Award at the Montreal Show and they are sounding better here than at the show. I liked the $12,000 MBLs I heard in Montreal (review in the works) better than the Mini’s, and for the money the $3,800 Maximus Monitors with the added Omni Harmonizer was very competitive with the MBL’s. Not only do the Max’s go low, they sound better than some subwoofers in that region. No kidding. I have been wrong before about speakers that seemed overpriced, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see about the Magicos. I have only heard them at shows.

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2007, 07:51 pm »
Hi, Since we've been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, things have been updated since the Montreal show.

Please read our review of the M&D Maximum Monitor for additional and new info.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Maximus%20Monitor%20Revew/MarkDanielMaximummonitorReview.htm

srb

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2007, 10:16 pm »
I went to stereomojo.com to read the article.

Kind of tough to read with that textured background.

~Steve

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:05 pm »
I cannot speak on behalf of the Ruby dearest - but a review of the new TOPAZ will be coming to you in October.  :thumb: