Re: RED, RED WINE!

BobM

« Reply #40 on: 3 Oct 2008, 02:49 pm »
There's a group of us heading out to Long Island wine country this Sunday. Last year I found a truly amazing Castle Borghese Pinot Noir. A bit expensive at $40 but it was an amazing wine. I'll report back next week if I get something else worth reporting on.

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #41 on: 5 Jan 2009, 04:44 pm »

BobM

« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2009, 05:21 pm »
That really is an extroadinary discount for 6 bottles. However, I don't buy expensive wine without trying it first anymore. I've bought into several deals like this over the years (i.e. $30/bottle but only $50 for two), brought them home and been sorely disappointed. It's not always the rating, sometimes they've been stored bad. If you're getting a big discount there's usually a reason.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2009, 06:33 pm »
I have purchased at least 7 cases of wine from them and 6 of them were Chateauneuf du Pape.  Every one of them good.  :thumb:  They store their wine right and ship only in cool weather.  Plus, 2006 vintage hardly had time to go bad.  They come up with some bargains in Rhone and Burgundy.  Everyday price isn't the best but they will occasionally throw out a great deal.  These deals usually sellout quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised if this runs out by tomorrow. 

rydenfan

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 16 Jan 2009, 03:37 pm »
I had a bottle of '05 Carnival of Love from Mollydooker -- very, very good but I wish I saved it for later. 

My "house" wine is on sale -- 2007 Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape.  Southern Rhone is on a run.  From '98 to '07 we have all years over 90 except for the disastrous '02.  I have the vertical on this wine and it's really spoiled me for other wines.  '07 is shaping up to be another great vintage.  This string of success will not last, folks.  Stock up on CDP's while the going is good.  The odds are we will have some lean years coming....

http://www.vinsrare.com/2007-pierre-usseglio-chateauneuf-du-pape-fine.wine-2312.html

P.S.  It's pre-release sale.  You pay but won't see wine until later -- probably in the fall....

Toka

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jan 2009, 09:56 am »
While in Tuscany for a wedding about two years ago we stopped by this place:

http://www.casaemma.com

Now, I gotta tell you...I drank a LOT of wine during that trip (I mean, I HAD to), and this was far and away the best I had the entire time. I love chianti as it is but I never had anything like this before. I know tastes differ but whatever my magic number was they hit it. The olive oil was out of this world too...I licked the plate when I (thought) nobody was looking.  :oops:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
Deal on a Pommard!
« Reply #47 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:30 pm »
Backward animal, so it's said.  It must really be aggressive even for a Pommard.  I figure it will have to be laid down for at least 10 years but the price looks good. I trust Allen Medows' BH rating more than any other when it comes to Burgundy. 

http://www.supercellars.com/r/products/domaine-madame-de-courcel-pommard-grand-clos-des-epenots-2004/?utm_source=google;utm_medium=base

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 19 Feb 2009, 07:33 pm »
That was fast.  I got my case delivered and it's sold out now.  $29 delivered for a Premier Cru Pommard is a steal.  :singing:  I know '04 was spotty but I think (hope) this de Courcel will mature into a great wine.  Now I just have to forget about it for about 10 years.   :|

woodsyi

• Facilitator
Re: RED, RED WINE! 2006 Bordeaux
« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:08 pm »
Excellent price on some good stuff from 2006 Bordeaux.  It's a so so year but that makes for value in wines from good houses.
http://bassins.com/wine/bordeaux/2006-bordeaux.php

I picked up some Leoville Barton, Montrose and Pontet Canet at what I think are very good prices. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 10 Sep 2009, 08:03 pm »
2003 (very good vintage) Cote Rotie for $17.50!
La Sarrasine

The big discrepancy between WS and WA could be the reason why it's so low.  Cote Rotie is a fabulous expression of Syrah grape and this is a very low price.  I have tasted the 2005 vintage of this wine and I thought that was a bargain at $19.50.  It did need some breathing before it softened up.  There is a 6-bottle minimum.  I am going for a case. :wine:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2009, 01:18 pm »
2009 Wine Spectator 100 list is out and you have #54 is $12.99 and #61 is $9.99!

Wine Legend has Peter Lehmann Shiraz 2006 on sale with free shipping for 6 or more bottles.  I don't know much about the wine but it sounds like a bargain for a wine with a 91 rating and #54 on the annual list.  I am taking the chance and taking a case.  :wine: :wine:

#61  Monte Antico Sangiovese-Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon Toscana is on sale for $9.99 but shipping makes it more like $13.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 07:25 pm by woodsyi »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
Re: RED, RED WINE! (New top 100 list)
« Reply #52 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:23 pm »
2009 Wine Spectator #10 on sale for $18.50.  :o

Minimum purchase of 6 bottles required for this 93 rated '07 Brancaia at The Chicago Wine Company where good prices can sometimes be found.   :dance::wine: :wine:

ctviggen

Re: RED, RED WINE! (New Top 100 List)
« Reply #53 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:50 pm »
When do you drink all of this wine?  My wife and I drink maybe 2 bottles a month at the high end.  6 bottles is probably a half year for us.  I can't see buying 6 bottles of the same wine, as it would sit here for too long. 

Do you have parties, do you store this, or do you drink wine a lot?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:13 pm »
We  drink around 2 (her 2/3 to my 4/3) bottles a week.  I usually end up being the wine provider whenever we have family gatherings regardless of who is hosting them.  I also give out wine as Christmas presents.  I would probably go through a dozen case (gross) a year.  I have been known to select menu around wine.   :wink:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #55 on: 18 Nov 2009, 08:35 pm »
The wife and I drink 2+ bottles per week, and keep a refrigerated wine room in the garage with perhaps a couple of hundred bottles.  I started collecting in '84 buying the 82 vintage.  I still have a few of those around.

rodge827

« Reply #56 on: 19 Nov 2009, 01:00 am »
We  drink around 2 (her 2/3 to my 4/3) bottles a week.  I usually end up being the wine provider whenever we have family gatherings regardless of who is hosting them.  I also give out wine as Christmas presents.  I would probably go through a dozen case (gross) a year.  I have been known to select menu around wine.   :wink:

I've got the same thing going on here. My wife is firmly planted in the white wine camp and I'm dug in on the red wine side. :duel: We pop open about 4-8 bottles a week. As I write this I'm enjoying a nice J Lohr cab sauv. To celebrate what will probably be my last round of golf this year. :( But not to worry, pop the cork, fire up the tubes and enjoy the tunes. :thumb: Ah yes winter, a great time for red wine and music. Sorry clubs see you when the temps begin to rise. 8)
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2009, 01:08 pm by rodge827 »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:29 am »
4 to 8 bottles a week!   :bowdown:  I am enjoying a bottle of 2005 Brunel Les Caillloux as I write this and listening to the Triumphal March (Aida). Life is worth living.  :wine:

BobM

« Reply #58 on: 19 Nov 2009, 06:02 pm »
I only go through 1 bottle of red and 1 bottle of white per week, maybe per 2 weeks if we're not in the mood for wine. Yup, I'm the red guy and she's the white woman (cowboys and indians anyone  :lol:)

It sure makes it hard to order a bottle when we go out to dinner. We're usually limited to what they have by the glass, which isn't always too good.

I'm talking her into opening that bottle of Chateau Montelena (unfortunatley not the Chard) that I've been saving since we saw the movie Bottle Shock. Primarily because I'm curious about how good it is, and partially because I just landed a new contract.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:59 am »
2009 Wine Spectator 100 list is out and you have #54 is $12.99 and #61 is $9.99!

Wine Legend has Peter Lehmann Shiraz 2006 on sale with free shipping for 6 or more bottles.  I don't know much about the wine but it sounds like a bargain for a wine with a 91 rating and #54 on the annual list.  I am taking the chance and taking a case.  :wine: :wine:

#61  Monte Antico Sangiovese-Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon Toscana is on sale for $9.99 but shipping makes it more like $13.

Man, I just sampled and sampled some more of the case of Peter Lehman Shiraz that I received yesterday.  It's drinking gorgeously just right now.  Everyone is asleep and I am rubbing the chunk of tenderloin with garlic and brown sugar that will be my Chateaubriand for Thanksgiving and I can't stop drinking it.  It may not have the tannins to age too long but it's just succulant right now.  I would say that it matches any $30 to $50 California Syrah or Cote Rotie.  At $12.99, which is a grocery store wine price, it is a steal.  I am telling you this is a chance you shouldn't waste.  Go get a 6 pack (for free shipping) right now. :wine: :wine: :rock: