Re: RED, RED WINE!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Wine Spectator 97 Super Tuscan under $60
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2007, 08:23 pm »
2004 is going to be a very good year for Tuscany and this wine is just being released. http://www.vinsrare.com/index.php?main_page=product_vino_info&cPath=28&products_id=1837
A 2000 vintage (comparable) goes for $100 and a 1997 (better vintage) goes for $125.  It's a "bargain" for a "collectible" wine. 

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with this wine store although I have purchased many cases of wine from them.  I think this one and The Chicago Wine Company http://www.tcwc.com/ consistently have good prices on "higher" end wines.  Of course you can still find bargains at your local wine stores.

I think I scored another one.  :dance: :dance: 2004 will officially be reclassified from 93 to 97 on the upcoming Oct 31 issue of Wine Spectator.  Already this offer and other similar ones are pulled for this wine.  In Europe, they are being sold at 60 Euro.  I am guessing they will be priced much higher when they get offered again.  Quoted from WS, "the best Saffredi ever."
 :wine: :wine: 
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2007, 08:36 pm by woodsyi »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2008, 04:03 pm »
These guys are re-offering this wine again.  I don't know how long it will last but it's a great price (especially the case price) for a really delicious wine ready to drink now.  If you haven't tried a good CDP before, this will be a great opportunity.  I got a case on order on the first order.  :thumb:

http://www.vinsrare.com/2001.cuvee-du-vatican-chateauneuf-du-pape-fine.wine-1745.html

:wine: :wine: :wine:

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:07 pm »
Well, amazing what you pick up while at the store..

This is the 1985 Masi Campofiorin "ripasso". (ca 63$, current price in Norway - I know. Blood letting!!)
While working besides school (Mech engineering..) I worked at a bar/brasserie.
I can remember tasting this wine there, and it really is superb!
My only red wine choice these days (a couple of bottles a year is my consumption..2 or 3 maybe).
(The Campofiorin, younger years reside, but this bottle is my prized one!!)

The perfect food would be Deer steak with mushrooms.
1- 1/2 pounds round steak
5 slices bacon, chopped
2 cups seasoned bread cubes
3/4 cup beef broth
1/3 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
Salt and pepper
6 toothpicks

Mushroom Gravy

3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1- 1/4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper

Directions 
Cut round steak into six equal-size portions. Place meat between waxed paper, or a zipper-lock bag, and lightly pound with a mallet (or heavy skillet) until about a 1/4-inch thick. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, combine bread cubes, beef broth, garlic and onion. Fry bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove cooked bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Combine bacon with bread mixture.
Place pounded steaks on a flat surface and divide bread stuffing equally, about 1/3 cup each, onto meat. Roll each piece snugly and secure with a toothpick. Return skillet to burner and heat reserved bacon grease over medium-high heat. Place rolls in pan and brown evenly. Transfer rolls to a lightly greased baking dish.
To prepare gravy, melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour and continue stirring until flour mixture (roux) is light brown in color, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in beef broth and water, a little at a time, to blend with flour mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in wine and mushrooms, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour gravy over browned rolls, cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove toothpicks before serving.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2008, 07:01 pm by Imperial »

F-100

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:24 pm »
These guys are re-offering this wine again.  I don't know how long it will last but it's a great price (especially the case price) for a really delicious wine ready to drink now.  If you haven't tried a good CDP before, this will be a great opportunity.  I got a case on order on the first order.  :thumb:

http://www.vinsrare.com/2001.cuvee-du-vatican-chateauneuf-du-pape-fine.wine-1745.html

:wine: :wine: :wine:

Currently out of stock. :(

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2008, 01:29 am »
Bah... waddayaknow... the 1985 Masi Campofiorin "ripasso" is getting to old.
I was talking to a wine expert the other day here, she said that it had "turned" and that one should rather look for the
1995 Masi Campofiorin "ripasso". As this one is just aged to perfection these days.
So I've got a bottle now of the 95 vintage.
Well, I'll open the 95 in two weeks at a get together, and we'll see!

Imperial

low.pfile

« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2008, 01:40 am »
my plan is to go home reconnect the TT and put on some albums and finish off the Turley Zinfandel 2005 (my first bottle) left over from last night Vday dinner.... shhh don't tell the GF.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2008, 03:30 pm »
Currently on sale again.
http://www.vinsrare.com/2005.pierre-usseglio-chateauneuf-du-pape-fine.wine-1563.html
I have tasted it and it's a bargain at this price.  It's a little frisky and needs several hours of breathing before drinking but it's really gorgeous.  It's a fabulous vintage that will last 20 years.  Considering the 06 (a lesser vintage in the region) release is set at $8 higher, it seems to be a no brainer to get as much of this as possible while they have it.  This store really knows their CDPs and Italian wines -- not much for US or Bordeaux. 

F-100

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2008, 07:21 pm »
Thanks for head up, Woodsyi. I'm going to order a few bottles from them. :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2008, 08:42 pm »
Thanks for head up, Woodsyi. I'm going to order a few bottles from them. :thumb:

You will like it.  The more I thought about it the more it makes sense to get more.  I just took on another case.  :thumb:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #29 on: 6 Mar 2008, 01:14 pm »
Interesting thread.  Every link to Vins Rare that I clicked, resulted in an out of stock message, except for the current one.  I entered 12 into the cart, and it was automatically adjusted to 8.  I assume they're running out of this.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 6 Mar 2008, 02:02 pm »
Interesting thread.  Every link to Vins Rare that I clicked, resulted in an out of stock message, except for the current one.  I entered 12 into the cart, and it was automatically adjusted to 8.  I assume they're running out of this.

Hank,

I am in no way affiliated with them but they have good deals on CDPs and Italian reds now and then.  Their Burgundy stock is extensive but the price isn't right for me.  I get notified whenever they have new wine in stock -- I guess they want you to keep buying. :lol:  I only pass on what I think is a good deal and they don't last long -- thus the dead link.  As you can guess, I like Chateauneuf du Pape a lot and tasted quite a few.  Pierre Usseglio is consistently good and undervalued.  Even the '02 was quite decent.  Enjoy the 05 and don't forget to let it breath before drinking.  :wine: :wine:

Now let's what kind of craziness is going on with the 05 Bordeaux prices!

rpf

« Reply #31 on: 6 Mar 2008, 04:18 pm »
Check out this wine. It's really good and a bargain. Had it in a restaurant in Mass. for $45. My dealer, from whom I ordered a case, said it should come in around $25./bottle before a case discount. Everyone's raving about the '05 Burgundy vintage and this looks to be one of the few affordable reds.

http://www.idealwine.us/france/raquillet/RaquilletVVST.pdf

This is the distributor's web site but your local dealer should be able to place an order.

Rob

rpf

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2008, 04:23 pm »
Just realized you can't link to the main site from the review. Here it is:

http://www.idealwine.us/

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 6 Mar 2008, 08:14 pm »
Just realized you can't link to the main site from the review. Here it is:

http://www.idealwine.us/

Rob,

Thanks for the information.  I find the rating don't mean so much for Burgundy as other regions.  With the Pinot Noir grapes, it's the wine maker that makes the difference.  I don't think I had a Mercurey or any from Cote Chalonaise before.  So this will be a treat -- I got it for under $20 from corporate wine.  05 is supposed to be great for red burgundy but mostly for the wines from Cote d'Or.  De Beaune was in the lower 90s and Chalonaise lies further south.  :o: I hope it's good.  Here is to bargain hunting and François Raquillet!  :wine:

P.S. Corporate Wine is in Woburn.

rpf

« Reply #34 on: 6 Mar 2008, 11:34 pm »
Rob,

Thanks for the information.  I find the rating don't mean so much for Burgundy as other regions.  With the Pinot Noir grapes, it's the wine maker that makes the difference.
[/quote]

Less so than for most places definitely, but the vigneron is always of primary importance. A great one will make good wine in a mediocre vintage. 

[/quote]

I don't think I had a Mercury or any from Cote Chalonaise before.  So this will be a treat -- I got it for under $20 from corporate wine.  05 is supposed to be great for red burgundy but mostly for the wines from Cote d'Or.  De Beaune was in the lower 90s and Chalonaise lies further south.  :o: I hope it's good.  Here is to bargain hunting and François Raquillet!  :wine:

P.S. Corporate Wine is in Woburn.
[/quote]

It reminds me most of a Chassagne-Montrachet. It's young of course, so let it breathe a bit, but if you like Pinot Noir (who doesn't   :drool:) you'll find this very pleasurable. It's earthy but not of the "barnyard" type Burgundy - which I don't enjoy.

Good price: I'm hoping that's what mine comes in at also with my case discount.
Corporate Wine is an interesting site. Thanks.

Salut,
Rob

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2008, 12:19 am by rpf »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2008, 07:05 pm »
I just scored another bargain at a local wine shop.

It's only a "village" level but what a village and what a year.  Fabulous in Cote de Nuits, '05 was just good everywhere in France.  This is a very elegant and nuanced wine.  Not forward at all but packs layers and layers of fruit in a shy reserved way.  You really have to swirl it and taste the layers.  It's like listening to a small ensamble on a pair of efficient single driver speakers on a SET amp like my Omega Superhemps on my 300B amp.   The shop had this for less than $40 a bottle.  I took all 5 they had in stock.  If you see this wine around this price, grab it and you won't regret it.   :wine:
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2008, 08:32 pm by woodsyi »

BobM

« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2008, 07:44 pm »
I've been exploring Spanish wines lately. They seem to be inexpensively priced for the quality that they bring to the table. A bunch of different grapes that I never heard of before, in a variety of styles.

Bob

rpf

« Reply #37 on: 26 Sep 2008, 08:11 pm »
Hey Woodsyi, thanks.

Did you ever get the '05 Raquillet Mercurey Ville Vignes? If so, what did you think of it if you've tried it yet?

I ordered a case through my local store back in March and still haven't received it. First the importer/distributor supposedly wouldn't sell it until the '04 was gone. Then they sent the wrong one (a single vineyard bottling costing twice as much and not as good). Then they were supposedly waiting for more to come in from France. Then everyone in France was on vacation (August). Now, I don't know - but I'm  :evil: .  It's also no longer on Corporate's web site. Anyway...

Just had a 2006 Cabernet from California produced by Wyatt that has impressed me. Well balanced: lots of fruit with lots of structure (no overblown or vegetal Cali Cab this) and drinking well now. All for a $13. list!  Worth twice the price. Given a 90 rating by Parker.

Wyatt's 2006 Pinot Noir is also supposed to be very good (bought a bottle though I haven't tried it yet) and runs from $15 - 20 in the NY metro area according to Snooth.com.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 3 Oct 2008, 02:06 pm »
Double post --see below.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 3 Oct 2008, 02:07 pm »
Hey Woodsyi, thanks.

Did you ever get the '05 Raquillet Mercurey Ville Vignes? If so, what did you think of it if you've tried it yet?

Just had a 2006 Cabernet from California produced by Wyatt that has impressed me. Well balanced: lots of fruit with lots of structure (no overblown or vegetal Cali Cab this) and drinking well now. All for a $13. list!  Worth twice the price. Given a 90 rating by Parker.

Wyatt's 2006 Pinot Noir is also supposed to be very good (bought a bottle though I haven't tried it yet) and runs from $15 - 20 in the NY metro area according to Snooth.com.

Sorry about the late response.  I meant to reply and then I got tied up with other issues on the board.  :oops:

I got an e-mail from Corporate wine saying that they were out of stock and would not be getting any in.  These too good to be prices at times have a way of turning up NIS.   :dunno:  Curiously, I just got an e-mail from them promoting their label -- Jarhead wine.  Apparently they are ex-Marines in the business together. 

I have never seen Wyatt anywhere around here.  I did run into a good screw-top Oregon Pinot at a restaurant -- 2004 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir by Argyle. It's a refreshingly youthful wine with good fruit and balance but not very nuanced.