The Revelation Audio Umbilical Cord has arrived

hartwerger

Re: The Revelation Audio Umbilical Cord has arrived
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2007, 11:28 pm »
Ricky: Try Brent Jesse Recording to see if he has any of the Mullard EZ35 tubes in stock: http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm  (scroll down to the 6x5 tubes and you'll see one marked 6x5/EZ35). The Mullard tubes aren't always the best choice. I was over a friends place and the Mullards didn't sound as good on his system as mine. The Ultra faired much better with an 6x5 coke bottle tube labled Zenith. Had much better HF extension which sounded better than the Mullard at the time. What other rectifier tubes have you tried and like?

The Rev. cord is holding its own.  I really should put the stock cord back in to compare again as its been some time; just don't have the heart to do it.  Just remember, with the new umbilical cord, there is not going to be a dramatic difference in the sound of your system.  But, little nuances will creep in that will give you much more listening pleasure.  In other words, don't let your expectations get too high or you may be disappointed.   Hate to be the voice of moderation, but so many systems, rooms, and people's tastes vary that not everyone's experiences will mirror that of others.  Best to keep it all in perspective.

Berndt

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2007, 03:23 am »
I just plugged the new umbilical in. I had to solder in the new locking connectors, so there will be no a/b'ing. Out of the gate there is less grain than the stocker. You don't need to backpedal, Hartwerger. This cable is revealing without being zippy. I am also using a coke bottle 6x5g zenith, it appears to be similiarly constructed to the sylvania G rectifier. I keep coming back to the 12sx7gt's I got from Jim McShane. They are very neutral sounding with a nice bass.

Ricky, this is such a nice preamp it really deserves the tweaks, imho.
Now, I can't wait for my new amp to arrive!

ricky588

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan 2007, 12:48 am »
Thanks guys.

You know as we all do that things are never as dramatic as we hope but the great thing is putting together a system that makes you want to listen and enjoy rather than compare. I will tell you this that Lloyds pre makes the world of difference to me and playing around with the tubes gets me all goosebumpy.

On to the rectifiers, its funny even these things make a difference to. These are the ones I have tried and did not really like.

Motorola 6x5gt, Westinghouse 6x5gt. It was fun to try them.

The ones I do like are the Sylvannia 6x5gt and the VT126B.

I would like to try mullards and brimars as well as the RCA 6x5gt's.

Take care and thanks for the info.

Ricky.

ricky588

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2007, 03:45 am »
Umbilical arrived and it is in the system.

I left the pre on for a couple of hours and then went and had a listen. This has not even been burned in yet and what a difference in my set up. Female vocals that had a very slight sibilant effect has now been replaced with oh so smooth overtones, the gruff on male voices is awesome, soundstage has opened up and there is just more of the music. Little things just happen and make me want to play even louder.

The Ultra 4A has been the biggest difference in my system but this cord is now second.

Thanks guys for the tips, now I am thinking about Brads other cables but the money. Now I think the wife will say enough is enough. For now anyway.

Later folks,

Keep the music playing.

Ricky.

Berndt

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jan 2007, 05:10 pm »
When I took my u4 in to have my soldering job looked over the tech said I should try a black gate in the power supply.
It wasn't a cheap cap(120$) but between the cap and the cord I am listening to a different stereo.
I think both items need some burn in time so I'll refrain from slavering at this time. :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2007, 05:48 pm »
Bill,

'gates need hundreds of hours, typically...before that, they are really phasey and hard sounding.

Brad/RAL burns every cable for 24 hours on a cable cooker before they go out the door (unless you specify rush/urgent to him)...but they still usually need another 50 hours to settle in. The best is yet to come....a good overnite cooking does wonders for the sonic experience.  You got all those tubes now (tube whore!) - now use 'em  aa

Wish it weren't so, I'm not an EE so I don't care why.....I've just found burn-in to be so in my experience with a couple installations of Blackgates and several RAL cords purchased.

:wink: John
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2007, 07:20 pm by TheChairGuy »

steve k

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2007, 05:53 pm »
When I took my u4 in to have my soldering job looked over the tech said I should try a black gate in the power supply.

I put a pair of Blackgates in my Magic 5B power supply and found a definite improvement in clarity and tighter bass response, once they broke in. Give it about 100 hours at least of burn in though. They are pretty hard sounding until then.
steve

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2007, 05:57 pm »
Has anybody replaced the Auricaps in the preamp section with Sonicaps?

Raja

Berndt

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2007, 06:47 pm »
break in q's

if I keep my pre on do I need a source running through it to keep the cap/cable burning in?
I don't need the amp on, right?
I think my next tweak is building new boxes, maybe incorporate a remote.
I'd like two phone inputs and an extra source input too, maybe I'll build my viper eye into it...

steve k

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:13 pm »
Yes, run a source through it but you don't need your amp on.

steve k

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:16 pm »
Has anybody replaced the Auricaps in the preamp section with Sonicaps?

I replaced the stock Auricaps with Gen I Sonicaps in my SRPP circuit. While I use the CF circuit most of the time, I still prefer the sound of Sonicaps to Auricaps in the SRPP circuit. Some people like Auricaps' neutrality but I think they're sterile sounding. In my preamp, the Sonicaps are more open and more natural sounding IMO.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:26 pm »
I'm somewhat a newbie as far as tech. talk about audio gear so could you please explain what SRPP and CF signify.

Thanks,

Raja

Berndt

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:45 pm »
steve has a magic 5 which incorporates three different preamp topologies.
CF is cathode follower mode which I believe the U4 utilizes.

Steve, do you still have the auricaps in the cf stage?

steve k

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jan 2007, 09:22 pm »
Doc uses Blackgates and Russian PIO's in the CF stage. I chose not to mess with that combination. I really like the way that stage sounds stock.