LIFEFORCE: Listening Impressions II

Johnny

Re: LIFEFORCE: Listening Impressions II
« Reply #60 on: 20 May 2007, 11:56 pm »
PM sent  :thumb:

Johnny,

Would you be happy to give STS9 a listen - please?

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #61 on: 21 May 2007, 03:19 am »
Thank you John,

Sincerely appreciated......  I'm sure STS will be impressed!

Cheers,

Hugh

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 22 May 2007, 05:51 am »
Hello Hugh,

Guess what I've got ? Well....no need to guess.

I've borrowed one of Occam's (Paul's) AKSA Lifeforce amps to listen too....and compare to my Nirvana+. I should have it here for about a month. :D
I just got my N+ back....I had loaned it out to one of the NY Rave guys...he really enjoyed it. 8)

And....on Saturday at Paul's Rave, the Lifeforce sounded really good in his system...best that I have heard his system sound. 8)

So....give me some time to listen and compare, and to try a few things, and I'll post my impressions. Got it playing now.....nice !!! :wink:

Hope all's well....and looking forward to meeting you at RMAF in October....that's a very good show. :thumb:

Chris

AKSA

« Reply #63 on: 22 May 2007, 06:28 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the post - I had not realised that Paul was away, and commend his excellent choice lending you his LF.   aa

I'm delighted you like it - he raves about it to be honest, very complimentary - and I would really value your opinion in this thread.

The Lifeforce amp is a huge leap forward from the N+, though it's a very different listening experience and likes a tube preamp out front.  The chief difference is low level detail which gives almost supernatural rendering of spatial information, but I'm sure you realise that.

Ah, yes, Denver, won't that be a challenge?  I look forward to it, it will be my first visit to the States, and I expect to find it very different to the movies...... :lol:  I have long been an admirer of the US, sometimes I think my childhood was spent reading Popular Science, and until I fell in love with Toyotas I knew more about Chev V8s than I care to admit.

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2007, 06:17 am »
Hi all,

For some 9 months now since recording my first impressions at post number 3 of this thread and immediately ordering an Aspen LF100, I have been patiently (almost certainly a lie :lol:) waiting for Hugh to produce his line of completely built up LifeForce Amps for customers.  I knew at the start that Hugh was fully committed to his upgrade programme for existing customers first up and I must take my hat off to him for that.  I don't currently have time for DIY so unlike many existing AKSA owners, I couldn’t upgrade an existing amp and needed to accept the time and cost to have one built.  So I was stuck with my trusty old integrated stereo receiver in the interim.

Well the beast has arrived and boy am I glad I waited.  The front panel is a full width solid 12mm black anodised aluminium billet that merges nicely into the finned, side mounted heat sinks when looked at from the side or above.  The top is dark charcoal steel and slotted for air circulation.  I think it looks fabulous but I suspect from a Hugh comment that his perfectionist streak is not yet fully satisfied.  Apart from the lightly milled Aspen and LifeForce 100 Mk ll labels, just two little blue LEDs and a large pushbutton switch fill in the frontal face detail.  I think it looks really good, understated and purposeful as a power amp should be.  I have tried taking some photos for those interested but they are pretty pathetic so I’ll try again tomorrow.

As to the sound, I have only just connected it and checked all is working but once again what a great first impression this amp immediately gives; a delightful revelation.  No point in saying more than that at the moment as I will post my full impressions tomorrow after some extensive listening.  One small advantage of the delays in production components is that at least Hugh was able to largely run the amp in for me; about 60 hours apparently.  So no excessive waiting for it to bed in before making final judgements.

By the way, for those on the waiting list and chaffing at the bit, at least now all the production components are (I assume) finalised and so all future orders should be so much quicker.  In fact, I saw a mini production line set up with some items well advanced.  Enough wasting of good listening time, I’m off for a bit. aa

Lyn,

Many thanks for your post, and for your hospitality yesterday at Kew.  Greatly appreciated!!  I thought the sound stellar, I really admire those magnificent Vandersteen 3As, I think they are astonishing.  The CD36 was incredible, too, detail without harshness or digititis, and the listening environment was very well sorted.  Thank you again, wonderful!!

Hugh
« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 11:55 pm by AKSA »

SeanS

« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2007, 06:39 pm »
Right.., have had my LF100s for approx a month, and I'd say have passed the 40-50 hr mark so am qualified to comment (not review), I think!

I came to AKSA after an exhaustive search of the net, considering kits in various states of completion, decided to do the 100N+, then Hugh said the LF100 was available as a module, this was good, I bought it!

So what did it replace, I had (have/now resting!) 2 x power amps, biamped, Rega Maias,  I had tried to replace them with other amps, tried quite a few, but always returned to them. I really like/d them. But the LF100's opened my eyes to another world.

My wife has an excellent ear, if I bring an amp/component home, withing minutes she says no.. and says why, and is dead right, strolls off and continues what she is doing. I toiled with building a case, meticulously wiring etc.. nervously powered up the LF100's, she was in another room, came strolling in and said, that sounds beautiful.. My mom came to visit, I was playing music, she said, "it sounds like he's in the room"... I was happy, I hadn't even asked for comment!!!!!!!

They are truly impressive, I have nothing but praise, detailed, powerful, spacious, voices have wonderful clarity, and dynamics are marvellous. I find I now listen at lower levels, but the volume knob has lost a degree of control, things just continue getting louder at times, as the music dictates. When played with some anger, I can only smile, it loses no control, only seems to gain authority.

At first it caused some confusion, I would occasionally head odd noises, once an alarm, once knocking, low frequency thuds etc.. would turn off the music to hear the cause, only to discover it is in the music.

Whats stuck on the end of it? IPL S5TL, 3 way transmission lines (Kit too), they are really good friends.

Downsides?  None, except it shows what is above it in the rack, which I guess is the aim of a good amp! I had wired my premap with 2 different cables for CD input, .5mm CAT5 & 1.xMM stranded silver plated copper. I could previously not differentiate, with the LF, the difference was really clear, so much so that I spent 18hrs straight rewiring the pre. With great rewards (to CAT5e!).

To summarize, I'm really happy.

value for money, in the end, the cost built totalled a pretty much what a good power amp would cost, retail (incl, trafos, case, imp duties etc..), but performance is on par with a very dammned fine amp, if I had my choices to make again, I'd still have a LF100...... I like it!

Why such praise? If I didn't like it I wouldn't comment, but I feel if it wasn't for peoples feedback on products they enjoy (cyber products!?) we may all have alot less choice in where we shop, what we get, and whats available online. Make vague sense?

Cheers
Sean

Sean,

Thank you for your very thorough, complimentary and considered review.  Greatly appreciated, can't see a thing I don't agree with!  And, as I have said to many already, thank you for the profound leap of faith making an internet purchase from Aspen, and for signalling your positive impressions arising from the experience.

Cheers,

Hugh

« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 11:57 pm by AKSA »

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2007, 01:59 am »
Well I’ve now had the best part of 2 days listening to what my own (gosh that sounds good) first off the production line Aspen LF100 has done for my current system.

Perhaps to set the scene, I should first make a general personal comment that after my many and varied experiences with hifi kit over the years (particularly the many mistakes and false starts), I have become a firm believer in aiming for a well-balanced system with no real weak links.  Having a good match between components and optimising the speaker positioning and the room itself, all contribute to the harmony of the whole and the LF100 has been very much a part of that plan since I first heard it.  A second thing I am acutely aware of is that we are all a little different in what we are trying to achieve and the sound of my system only has to please me (and my wife of course) and it may not necessarily suit everyone.  Nevertheless, I would be surprised if anybody visiting didn’t appreciate the SQ of what I have now that Hugh has provided a new heart.

In addition to the LF100, I currently have Vandersteen 3A speakers, an Arcam CD36 player, a borrowed GK1 pre and a fairy basic old AR turntable with Schure MM cartridge for my old LPs.  I specifically selected the speakers, CD player and amp to meet my desire for neutrality, refinement, smoothness and the clarity that comes with crisp, clean (but not hard edged) undistorted detail.  Likewise, my pre will have to meet largely the same requirements though this is where I may choose to add a touch of tube colour and warmth such as with the GK1.

So how does it all sound now the LF100 is here?  Well, although my first reaction was ‘wow’, this is not really a suitable descriptive term as the amp doesn’t stun you with artifice.  However it does make an immediate impression both amazing and delighting with its punch, precision and detail.  The realism it helps create can be breathtaking with some recordings.  I’ve had the CD player and Vandy’s for some time now and have been very well pleased but the ‘LifeForce’ has simply made things come more alive.  I don’t have the newer and better Signature model but the 3A’s can still pretty much play any nuance thrown at them.  With the CD36 extracting gobs of detail, the GK1 warming it slightly and the LF100 driving the essentially neutral speakers precisely, the performers are right there in front of me and I’m wrapt.  Base and mid base are to die for with huge punch, drive and rhythm.  Timing seems spot on.  The mid range and treble are open, natural and musical.  Pretty much exactly what I’d hoped for.

So far I have tried examples of every sort of music type I own and the LF100 presents them all beautifully.  It provides seemingly effortless power to drive the speakers.  This is great as the 3A’s are not overly efficient and Vandersteen recommends using amps producing 100 to 200 watts and stable into 4 ohm where the nominally 6 ohm speakers sit for most of the base frequencies.  Where I have noticed the most difference over my nominally equally powerful and otherwise capable old stereo receiver is with the complex musical passages of orchestral and similar recordings.   The previous tendency towards congestion and graininess has gone and location and imaging of specific instruments, has improved out of sight.  I can only assume that the power figures in themselves only give part of the story because the LF100 sure seems to punch above its weight.

Perhaps I’m saying the same ‘power’ thing again in another way but the LF100 doesn’t seem to be straining in any way.  It makes it so easy to listen to.   With previous amps (reasonable but not top drawer), I’ve had to have the volume up a bit for them to sound good (seemed to lose clarity at low volumes) but too high and harshness would creep in.  With the LF100, I can listen soft without losing detail or loud without cringing at the ensuing mushiness and so large dynamic range recordings are no problem at all.  I love this quality as much as I love the highly realistic timbre of stringed and brass instruments it produces.

At first when I started putting together my current system, I was a little worried that too much detail might end up overwhelming and detracting from the musicality.  The last thing I wanted was cold or clinical.  That has proved a false concern and in fact I’ve found the opposite true.  The ability to extract and present the myriad of minor recorded details as well as providing accurate decay, echo and reverberation detail is as astonishing as it is engaging and as well there is a totally natural instrument and singer location.  The overall impression is of openness, clarity and reality with all instruments in their own space.  The soundstage extends quite deep and well wide of the seemingly transparent speakers and the musicians occupy a tangible 3D space in front of me (or I should say, us – this ‘presence’ is what my wife constantly comments on).

I don’t have Orions or an exotic DAC or turntable but the LF100 (and borrowed GK1 for that matter) have added to very good sources and speakers to transform my stereo area into a delightful place in which to become part of, and lost in, the music.  Thanks Hugh for providing a really strong heart for my system, may it continue to beat for a very long time indeed.  Come and have a listen Hugh.  Great stuff!  aa

stvnharr

« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2007, 04:58 am »
Lyn,
What you are hearing with the LF is something you won't generally hear from other solid state class AB amps, and that is amplifying at low voltage levels which is where the small subtle low level details and spacial information are at in a recording.  This is what makes the LifeForce amps such a standout unique product.
And when you get around to making your own GK-1, don't forget to add my "Platinum" recommendations as that will lift the musical presentation much further.

Steve

DSK

« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2007, 06:57 am »
Sean and Lyn, congratulations on your LF100's and your nicely written impressions. I agree with Steve, the LF100 does not sound like any solid state amp I've heard, either class AB or class A. I've been listening to the GK-1/LF100 combo for 9 months now and am very happy to say that it is a marriage that is like an eternal honeymoon. A couple of very minor weaknesses elsewhere in my system have recently been eliminated, leaving me in even greater awe of the performance of the GK-1/LF100.

In addition to the inner detail, bass and utter lack of congestion that we praise the LF100 for, the recent improvements elsewhere have better enabled me to identify just how splendid the LF100 is in regard to the tonality, timbre and body of instruments and vocals.... ie. making people and instruments sound REAL!  This is an area where solid state amps typically don't do as well as great tube amps. In fact the LF100 is the only ss amp I've heard that performs to this level and while it may not have quite that last smidgeon of midrange 'wetness' (which I'm not entirely sure is natural anyway) of a great tube amp, overall it sounds more convincingly lifelike than any amp I've heard and has eliminated my secret and long held yearning for a tube amp somewhere in my future.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #69 on: 27 May 2007, 10:11 pm »
Steve and Darren,

Appreciate the congratulations and the explanations as to what I have been hearing with the LF100.  From a purely customer point of view, having a product that so completely meets my needs is a pleasant change from accepting the compromises of the past.

And yes Steve, I’ve been a lurking looker (the spellchecker doesn’t like that one :wink:) of the ‘Platinum’ thread for some time.  Tell the truth though, I’ve been so excited over getting the LF100 that I had somewhat lost focus on the fact that the next requirement is a (non borrowed) pre.  Better get started thinking about my options pretty quickly though I understand that the universal recommendation around here will be the GK1.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #70 on: 27 May 2007, 11:34 pm »
Hugh....

If I were the teacher, and you were the student, and the AKSA Lifeforce was your project......

I would be giving you an....

And a gold star....

Its that good !!! :beer:

Comparing the Lifeforce with my Nirvana+...easy...Lifeforce wins hands down.
The first thing you notice....the bass...stronger, fuller, detailed,and at both high and low volumes. This is the foundation for a good amp.

Mids and highs.....smoother....detailed with no sharp edges. You can listen for hours...sound flows easier.

Reading the comments posted so far, I agree...heck of an amp. :hyper:

I did compare it to my Butler 2250 amp...its a hybrid amp....similar....but the Lifeforce bass was the difference....Lifeforce had the foundation...better than the Butler. Both run cool, thats important to me, and both have plenty of power for the speakers I was using to test....Mirage M3's.

To keep it simple....just speakers and a CDP....in order to just "hear" the amp. 8)

Today....its full system time...M3's, Modwright pre, EA Turbomodded Sony 7700, Paradisea dac,Reality IC's and SC's, Black Sand power cords.
Took another jump up.....nice !!! Your right....with some tubes in the chain, you get the extra bloom....but you also keep the great detail and the fine bass foundation.

I like it !!!! :dance:

So....looks like I need to upgrade my AKSA....and what the guys have posted so far is right on target !!! :thumb:

Thanks to Occam/Paul for the loan of his Lifeforce....glad I went to the Paul's Rave. :D

And once again.....great job Hugh !!!

Chris

AKSA

« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2007, 12:05 am »
Hi Chris,

WOW!!  A+ and Gold Star!!  Takes me back, Chris!!  (Won't talk about what happened behind the shelter shed..... :lol:)

Thank you sincerely, I know you are very highly experienced assessing power amps, you have quite a few, and I really appreciate the comparison with the Butler, which I know from reputation to be a highly competent, well regarded power amp of unique design.

Steve H. said it all a while back when he emphasised the low level detail of the Lifeforce.  There is a very good reason for this;  it uses very high feedback and in fact features nested feedback.  This gives the voltage amplifier an order of magnitude more accuracy, particularly at the crossover event, and you hear this as marvellous low level detail, the traditional failing of SS amplifiers.  This draws on the work of Prof Edward Cherry, an Oz academic at Monash University who produced a unique design in the early eighties which I built but couldn't get working.  It really is the same old adage;  there is nothing new under the sun, most of it recycled, but there is a required way of looking at things before you can apply some of these ideas.

My sincere thanks to Paul for his pivotal part in all this!

As for upgrade, yes please, let's talk about it, I will do my best!!

Cheers,

Hugh

raptor

« Reply #72 on: 29 May 2007, 05:51 am »
Hi all,

Well the beast has arrived and boy am I glad I waited.  The front panel is a full width solid 12mm black anodised aluminium billet that merges nicely into the finned, side mounted heat sinks when looked at from the side or above.  The top is dark charcoal steel and slotted for air circulation.  I think it looks fabulous but I suspect from a Hugh comment that his perfectionist streak is not yet fully satisfied.  Apart from the lightly milled Aspen and LifeForce 100 Mk ll labels, just two little blue LEDs and a large pushbutton switch fill in the frontal face detail.  I think it looks really good, understated and purposeful as a power amp should be.  I have tried taking some photos for those interested but they are pretty pathetic so I’ll try again tomorrow.

I can't work out how to post a picture :scratch:, so I have made a photo Hugh sent me of the new Lifeforce my avatar so that you can have a look at it. I will be getting my Lifeforce from Hugh tomorrow, so I was one of the ones part assembled when you picked up yours.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #73 on: 29 May 2007, 07:18 am »
Thanks Neil,

That's the beast all right.  At least you have had a go at posting, I can't even take a good photo let alone post one.  Actually Hugh sent me some pictures by email after he popped around for a listen but I've been too busy listening to think about attempting to post one.  At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Congratulations by the way.  If your'e half as happy with yours as I am with mine, you'll be ecstatic. :D

LinegrohalomanUpjoy

Tribute to one Man at opposite side of Earth
« Reply #74 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:00 am »
 :)

Hello all. Me here ... finally!
My Tribute to one Man at opposite side of Earth
 - where is not summer now

They say 1 picture tells a 1.000 words.
Now, I have reead more than 1.000 words by Mr.Dean.
Still, from this 1 picture, as far as I can tell, this shows a man I would be able to trust.
As far as we can trust any of us being those strange things (egos) called human.

... sometimes an 'image', picture or other 'image', can be a lie.
I think not so in this case.
I wouldnt mind meet this man and enjoy his company, for a day or 2.
I know from his biography, life hasnt always been easy. School and such as being not all healthy.

Today, however, he may not have many reasons for discontent.
And who am I to go bury myself feeling bad, when life is 77.3 % good, for me too.
To quote an old Carlos (Brasil X) signature:
Dont Worry! Be Happy!

And when thinking of those acting Censors, when they should in reality in fact be Moderators,
we can use the good old Monty Python wisdom words in 'Life Of Brain':
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad,
Other things just make you swear and curse,

When you're chewing life's gristle,
Don't grumble,
Give a whistle  :P
And this'll help things turn out for the best.
And...
Always look on the bright side of life.

If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten,
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps,
Don't be silly chumps.
Just purse your lips and whistle.  :P  That's the thing.
And...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin.
Give the audience a grin.
Enjoy it.  :P It's your last chance, anyhow.
So,...
Always look on the bright side of death,
Just before you draw your terminal breath.

Life's a piece of shit,
When you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.

You'll see it's all a show.
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
:lol:
And...
Always look on the right side of life.
Always look on the bright side of life!
Always look on the bright side of life!

:wink:

Greg Erskine

« Reply #75 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:06 am »
Hi halojoy, lineup, groman

It's good to see you have got all your "personalities" together in one place.  :thumb:

regards

JohnR

« Reply #76 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:13 am »
 :duh: :duh: :duh:

LinegrohalomanUpjoy

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:16 am »
Hi halojoy, lineup, groman

It's good to see you have got all your "personalities" together in one place.  :thumb:

regards

thanks, greg
I once upon a time made a 'homepage' for Carlos and put it online.
It was several years ago.
He finally has got something else to put in www
.. i could not stand he having http:// as his homepage ... for so many years
But thanks to you and another man, things are now alright.
We can click Carlos www and arrive at DX-Amp

What you do to my friends, you do a bit for me, too.
Their joy is halo-joy.

AKSA

« Reply #78 on: 18 Jun 2007, 12:45 pm »
Halojoy,

A pleasure to see you here - you are very welcome!!

Cheers,

Hugh

rabbitz

« Reply #79 on: 31 Jul 2007, 01:23 pm »
I've lived with the Lifeforce 55 for a while now, so will post some impressions. This one is the newer double sided PCB V3.1.

Detail has always been there on my AKSA and other amps, but the LF55 really has great resolution which adds the last bit to the jig-saw puzzle. The adding of the small bits of information is not to be under estimated as does add hugely to the overall presentation. At first I was not completely aware of it as I was not sure what to expect, but it sneaks up on you. All this adds to greater space around the individual sounds which in turn gives a sound stage and imaging like no other. This resolution also benefits the timbre / tone (or whatever you want to call it) of the individual vocal or instrument as the low level information that makes up the full natural wave form is there.

There's no complaints with the tonal balance as it's very natural and not overblown in any area of the frequency response. In fact, the main speakers (3-way) were changed from an active woofer section to a full passive 3-way as the sonics and control were so good with the LF55.  The reduction is system complexity with only one power amp is appreciated. The LF55 has only about a third of the power of the woofer amp, but you would never know as it can boogie.

With all that resolution, I thought it might have a tendency to be edgy or harsh, but it's extremely smooth and in fact has been able to play some CDs that had previously sounded quite nasty. There's no fatigue factor here at all and can be listened to for hours at reasonably high volumes. I  posted these thoughts after a long session listening to some live music. Supertramp, "It Was the Best of Times" (2 CD) and Eva Cassidy, "Live at the Blues Alley". There's something special and atmospheric about a good live recording and the LF55 just brings it out. It's been very enjoyable to revisit a lot of the older CDs which are now reborn.

I had noticed a few sections of music that sounded a bit more recessed than I remembered and during careful listening it found that the LF55 was restoring the dynamics and depth to the sound with no compression. Dynamics are huge and can catch you off guard at times when the slam comes in.   

Partnering equipment and matching needs special attention so the resolution is not lost. I tried several pre amps, none of which were suitable, a passive pre which was not too far off the money, but settled with and am very happy using a transparent discrete buffer between the source and passive pre. The result is stunning in an understated way. It's not a combination to blow you away or have a wow factor, as that would be tiring. This is so natural, unforced and just plays music with a presentation to die for.

IMO, you can't compare the LF55 to the AKSA 55N+ as they are completely different amps for different applications and tastes. I prefer the LF55 for the full blown you beaut system, but prefer the AKSA 55N+ for a more intimate system where the added warmth and lower resolution is beneficial. I'm glad I didn't trade in my AKSA and it's not going anywhere. So I have the best of both worlds.

Hugh.... take a bow.