My very unprofessional review of the RAW Apex II

tdangelo

« on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:37 pm »
First off let me say that I don't write many reviews and mostly just post my opinion on how a component sounds to me.. To start, I ordered my speakers in late Dec. 05 if I remember correctly. During the time I ordered, my dealer advised that RAW was upgrading the Apex to the series II. The series 2 had a much better and much more $$ crossover along with the Sound Fusion spikes and other mods etc... Since I purchased during the transition period the dealer said I would get some of the crossover upgrades (platinum bypass) but not all and I would still pay the much lower price since I ordered just before the increase. Well, it took about 6+ weeks to make them, which I was informed of before I ordered so I was OK but a little impatient.  Well, when the speakers finally arrived a few months ago, Fedex delivered them totally destroyed. They were shipped in wooden crates that had the tops and bottoms of the crates ripped off. You can imagine the damage caused to the tops and bottoms of just about every corner on both speakers.... I installed them while waiting for Fedex to come pick them up. A few things I noticed was my binding posts weren't placed like I ordered them and I didn't have the crossover upgrade I was told I'd get. I immediately call Al (Raw Acoustics) and we talked for a bit. Al said he wasn't under the impression I'd get any upgrades but offered to send my the Plat. caps and I'd install them. As we talked a bit more and I got more upset with the whole situation (I felt the crates weren't up to snuff & order messed up etc...) Al graciously agreed to build me a brand new pair of Apex II's - full Sonicap crossovers revised cabinets etc.. the whole enchilada or I could get my $$ back including shipping. Bear in mind the Apex II's sell for about 3K more than the Apex I. That sure was a super nice gesture for Al to upgrade me due to all the inconvience. Within about 3 weeks of that call I had a new pair of Apex II. This time the crates were MUCH sturdier and the Apex II survived intact. They were shipped Air Forward this time instead of Fedex Ground Destroyers  The veneer on this new pair was just as nice as the first and look even better with the satin gloss laquer base's... After I hooked them up I played them loudly for several hrs a day while at work - I finally sat down and listened critically one night and noticed that Diana Krall's voice was kinda floating around... Hmmmm... My wife immediately noticed it too. I checked my speaker wire phasing and it was correct. Checked the channel phase on my Tact - ok... Hmmm I thought - one or more of the midranges must be wired out of phase. I call Al and he says that must be it so I unscrewed the
midranges and sure enough - one midrange was mis-wired. Al said he had some temporary help that did the wiring.... As soon as I soldered it correctly and listened I was jumping around for joy, ehehhe.... Diana's voice was now perfectly centered with full body just like if she was there  

I've been through several speakers in the last 2 years including the VMPS RM40's, VSA VR4-JR's and Audiostatic Wings(transparency still can't be beat). The Apex II are the first that I can just listen to and not think about what can I improve or why doesn't that sound good etc... After playing with their positioning a bit they have stayed their since.... In the past I was always moving speakers around to try to alleviate some aspect that didn't sound right. Not with these! The sound coming from them is so enchanting that its soothing to the ears. Imaging is spectacular and has a holographic quality - you can almost get the feeling you can look around a singer.

Bass was never a problem in my small room - its so tightly controlled it was never boomy (I do have LOTS of room treatment). When I added the Soundfusion spikes I initally thought bass output was reduced but have come to realize it's just even more clean!! Bass has great weight and speed - stand up bass is incredible - you can follow every string pick etc... What I like most about them is that they really disappear in my room(big feat in a 12x14x9 room) - they don't call attention to themselves like my old RM40's did. The RM's had a BIG sound that made my ears tired even after spending months of tweeking to no avail.... The Apex highs are silky smooth and never tiring - just right - midrange is fast and transparent. I really don't have anything bad to say about these and really feel they are perfect for my budget/room/taste etc....
I did have a problem with one extremis woofer(rattled) - I sent Al an email and had a new driver shipped that day!! Customer service from RAW has been excellent. I guess I could go on and on about how they sound but I just recommend if your interested in them find some way to hear them yourself. They really are special speakers. Several friends that have been over to listen that have heard my other speakers and agree that these are in a completely different class - when I tell them the cost they don't believe me ;-)
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2007, 01:08 pm by tdangelo »

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2006, 08:28 pm »
Thanks Tony and glad you really enjoy them finally :wink:

Just to notify those the APEX original design was a smaller cabinet as well as had a large issue with the crossover design and we redesigned both the cabinet as well as the crossover.
Nothing the same but the driver layout.

The APEX II has a stronger mid balance over the APEX due to a larger mid compartment and the shape of this area as well.Then add a few more inches to the over all size in height and depth for a lower tuning and more controled release of the woofers in the cabinet design over all has a stronger presence as well.

Plus the APEX II Tony has is the Platinum series, these use full Sonicap caps plus ever cap value has a Platinum bypass cap on each cap value threw the crossovers.

As Tony noted the price difference in the original Apex and the APEX II has a lot to do with the crossover parts we are using as well as the cabinet size difference (LARGER) plus the price as noted online includes crating and shipping everthing thing delivered to your door.
Then add Extoic Veneer options.

All the best Tony enjoy
Still getting a system to use them drives :wink:

tberd

Re: My very unprofessional review of the RAW Apex II
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:58 pm »
 tdangelo ,

I've been looking hard at those for my master suite . Could you comment more comparing your past speakers ?

tberd

tdangelo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:01 pm »
tdangelo ,

I've been looking hard at those for my master suite . Could you comment more comparing your past speakers ?

tberd

Hi, not really sure what your looking for?  I actually don't have these speakers anymore.

Tony

tberd

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:04 pm »
 tdangelo ,

sounds like you go through audio gear like I do . What speaker was next in your audio journey ?

tberd

tdangelo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:06 pm »
tdangelo ,

sounds like you go through audio gear like I do . What speaker was next in your audio journey ?

tberd
I'm trying to stop - really  :scratch:  I got some Vandersteen 5A's.

Tony

tberd

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:06 pm »
 tdangelo ,

my bad , I was looking for pros and cons vs. the VR4's and the wings . I've already owned the RM 40's like yourself .

tberd

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:07 pm »
tdangelo ,

tberd

Tony

I think you will find it much easier to get off the merry-go-round with the 5A's.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:10 pm »
tdangelo ,

my bad , I was looking for pros and cons vs. the VR4's and the wings . I've already owned the RM 40's like yourself .
tberd
to my ears the Apex was much better at everything that all the previous speakers ;)  Hows that? heheh -  The only exception is the Wings were a little more transparent.

tdangelo

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:10 pm »
tdangelo ,

tberd

Tony

I think you will find it much easier to get off the merry-go-round with the 5A's.

George

I agree George ;)

tberd

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2007, 02:13 pm »

Yup ,  sounds good to me .

tberd