SP3: No sound from the centre channel

WillyP

SP3: No sound from the centre channel
« on: 19 Apr 2018, 08:53 pm »
Hi,

It has happened a few times now that there is no sound coming from the SP3 centre channel when playing a DVD (with a 5.1 sound file). Sometimes there is sound, but it is distorted.

There is a workaround: After I played the test tones (with the Test button on the remote control) everything is fine.

Who has an idea what is causing these issues? Needless to say that they are quite annoying. The SP3 and 9BSST2 are only a few months old.

Thanks for your help.

Willy
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2018, 03:06 pm by WillyP »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP3: No sound from the centre channel
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2018, 10:38 pm »
Hi Willy

Email Stan and see if he can help.

James

sbleszynski@bryston.com

WillyP

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:22 pm »
Hi James,

I have emailed Stan last Friday, but until now I haven't had an answer from him so probably he is very busy.

The problem with no sound from the centre channel has happened again but this time the workaround with the test signals wasn't successful and I had to switch the SP3 off and on.

It looks like the issue arises after I have switched input. At the moment, only two inputs are in use: an analogue input for my streamer (audio-only via 2 channel by-pass) and a digital input for my Blu-ray player via HDMI. After I have been listening to music from my streamer my SP3 seems confused when I switch to my Blu-ray player.

Hopefully, there is a simple solution.

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2018, 02:27 pm »
OK I will forward this today to Mike and Stan and see if they can help.

james

stanb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:13 pm »
Hi,

If it is intermittent and involved distortions then it looks like a hardware issue. What surround modes are you using?     Did you check cables?  I would try using an alternate Center output from the Aux-L socket (you can select the Aux-L,R to output Center and Sub from the MISCELLANEOUS menu).  It may tell us what part of the output chain is failing.
I recommend to have this unit serviced or looked at by a dealer.  Regards,

Stan

-----
Hi James,

I have emailed Stan last Friday, but until now I haven't had an answer from him so probably he is very busy.

The problem with no sound from the centre channel has happened again but this time the workaround with the test signals wasn't successful and I had to switch the SP3 off and on.

It looks like the issue arises after I have switched input. At the moment, only two inputs are in use: an analogue input for my streamer (audio-only via 2 channel by-pass) and a digital input for my Blu-ray player via HDMI. After I have been listening to music from my streamer my SP3 seems confused when I switch to my Blu-ray player.

Hopefully, there is a simple solution.

Willy

stanb

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:33 pm »
Also I didn't receive your email.  My work email is:    S  B   at    bryston.com
Stan