Hemp drivers in Aperiodic 8

FFzz

Hemp drivers in Aperiodic 8
« on: 11 Apr 2018, 12:56 am »
I encountered a pair of A8 with hemp drivers. Not sure if these are ones with alnico magnets. Does anyone know? Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hemp drivers in Aperiodic 8
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:09 am »
Alnico is a cylinder/tube magnet,

Ferrite is a flat donut shape.

FFzz

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2018, 02:04 am »
Many thanks!

The speakers are not with me. Even if they do, I am not sure if I will be able to see their back ends. Is there any other way for me to tell without opening the cabinets?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2018, 02:08 am »
Hard to say :scratch:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2018, 04:39 am »
Many thanks!

The speakers are not with me. Even if they do, I am not sure if I will be able to see their back ends. Is there any other way for me to tell without opening the cabinets?
There is the old fashioned way:
Say him to listen the speakers if it has the know Alnico sound signature its Alnico, if not its Ferrite, they have very different sound signatures.

Alnico magnet have great synergy with SE tube amps and Ferrite have a good synergy with transistors amps.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2018, 07:52 am »
There is the old fashioned way:
Say him to listen the speakers if it has the know Alnico sound signature its Alnico, if not its Ferrite, they have very different sound signatures.

Alnico magnet have great synergy with SE tube amps and Ferrite have a good synergy with transistors amps.

Who is kidding whom here?

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2018, 11:47 am »
Many thanks!
Is there any other way for me to tell without opening the cabinets?

Yes, call Louis (the manufacturer) and ask him. He might find the serial numbers helpful, or might not need them. He's well known for his helpfulness.

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:03 pm »

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2018, 02:48 pm »
Hi FFzz,

Thanks and the only way to tell with the 8 inch drivers from the outside is to measure the gap between the main cone and the edge of the whizzer.

The alnico has a smaller gap at 5 mm and the ferrite has a larger gap at 8mm.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the helpful posts and I will be posting some new pictures of a sub or two next week.

Thanks again,
Louis

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:14 pm »
Having owned Dynaco A25's (the first commercial aperiodic-tuned speaker AFAIK), I've often wondered why aperiodic loading didn't catch on more. I've heard of the North Creek and Omega examples but I think North Creek is gone and the Omega aperiodics are long discontinued. Chief benefit of this approach is a relatively flat impedance curve, making for an easy amp load. Curious why Omega stopped using it, as their speakers are popular among users of low-power amps which stand to benefit.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2018, 09:15 pm »
Who is kidding whom here?
My Alnico FR have sweet sound, my Beyma Ferrite has a ''plastic'' sound due the PP cone.