Oppo is no more

JohnR

Re: Oppo is no more
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2018, 11:00 am »
It does. (Although if you really cared about SQ and VQ you would be playing Blu rays not DVDs...)

However, it's convenient....

PeteG

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2018, 11:06 am »
Sad to hear. Doesn't some audio companies use their optical drive in their products.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2018, 02:03 pm »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2018, 02:43 pm »
Wow. Didn't see that coming, but as others have said, Physical Media is disappearing.

I figured that when I committed to the Oppo 205 and shipped it off to ModWright, it would possibly be my last player unless some major new development came along, simply due to the cost.

Looks like I was right, but for the wrong reason.

:(

MttBsh

« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2018, 03:21 pm »
I noticed Amazon (?) was discontinuing CD sales soon? The world is coming to an end!! :bawl:

Salute Oppo.

Unfortunately, the world in general doesn't care about high end sound quality, they just want tunes to listen to on their buds so companies like Amazon have been slowly building up their sales of MP3 digital downloads and apparently now dumping CD sales. The problem is, they don't even offer CD quality or hi res downloads, you need to go to companies like HDTracks for those. It's sad because for many years I've bought used CDs for pennies on the dollar at Amazon, there's no such thing as used digital downloads :lol:

My guess is it's just a matter of time before physical media such as CDs, DVDs and their players are a thing of the past as the cost of digital storage continues to go down.

fredgarvin

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2018, 03:31 pm »
Does this also include their headphones as well as sonica DAC and WiFi speaker ?

I believe they announced that the Sonica has been discontinued.

RPM123

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2018, 03:36 pm »
Yes, major bummer! I wonder if they will become collectors items, given their reputation for reliability and that the company will continue to support their products?  Used and NOS prices could rise.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2018, 03:48 pm »
I wonder if ..... the company will continue to support their products?

From the Oppo Farewell anouncement:

"..... existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time"

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 3 Apr 2018, 03:57 pm »
From the Oppo Farewell anouncement:

"..... existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time"
How do they continue to exist to provide this support when existing product inventory is depleted and there is no new revenue in the pipeline from development and sale of new products  :scratch:

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2018, 04:12 pm »
For you Oppo fans out there...https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Scott - your avatar was appropriate for "the fans"!  :lol:

Is it just me or doesn't streaming rob you of good hard sound quality and video quality? I must be old school because I love putting a disc in the machine and controlling every aspect of playback I can. I have over 800 DVD's and am on a run to purchase 4K movies monthly. I noticed Amazon (?) was discontinuing CD sales soon? The world is coming to an end!! :bawl:

Salute Oppo.

It's going the way of Hi-Rez downloads. As computers get cheaper and faster in the future - resolution and accuracy will be much better. Eventually, you'll have a full 3D experience of the performers in your room.

WC

« Reply #30 on: 3 Apr 2018, 04:36 pm »
Streaming video still lacks the lossless audio that is available on Blurays.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 3 Apr 2018, 04:39 pm »
[/font]

It's going the way of Hi-Rez downloads. As computers get cheaper and faster in the future - resolution and accuracy will be much better. Eventually, you'll have a full 3D experience of the performers in your room.

[/quote]

Bingo!  To get the kind of sound that I get from my DAC, music player and computer set up, I would have to spend $10K or more for a CD player and it would not give the flexibility that my set up gives me.  When I want that tactile feel I spin LP's.   I do feel that CD is more convenient and it is play and forget.

WC

« Reply #32 on: 3 Apr 2018, 05:14 pm »
Is it just me or doesn't streaming rob you of good hard sound quality and video quality? I must be old school because I love putting a disc in the machine and controlling every aspect of playback I can. I have over 800 DVD's and am on a run to purchase 4K movies monthly. I noticed Amazon (?) was discontinuing CD sales soon? The world is coming to an end!! :bawl:

Salute Oppo.

Best Buy said that they were not going to sell any more CDs starting this summer. Have not seen anything about Amazon doing it. Amazon has pissed off its resellers selling CDs, by not letting them list items. I would not expect Amazon to follow suit, since they don't have the same inventory issue that Best Buy does.

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 3 Apr 2018, 08:07 pm »
I hope the Redbox kiosks are so cheap to operate they stay around, there are at least 1/2 dozen within a mile of my house and are my go-to source for $2 blu-ray movies. Redbox just discovered they could gross more than twice as much money by streaming the same content that is on the physical disk (but without the DTS-MA tracks).

gene9p

« Reply #34 on: 3 Apr 2018, 08:41 pm »
streaming sucks..don't kid yourself. The problem is the new generation who walk around with headphones and cross streets without looking while texting. They only care about what they can see in their hands...well...and fast food.  Streaming..yeah it's convenient like Taco Bell. I can live without both.

bacobits1

« Reply #35 on: 3 Apr 2018, 08:49 pm »
Mystery Meat like MQA

I really don't care Oppo has vanished.

raddar

« Reply #36 on: 3 Apr 2018, 08:53 pm »
streaming sucks..don't kid yourself. The problem is the new generation who walk around with headphones and cross streets without looking while texting. They only care about what they can see in their hands...well...and fast food.  Streaming..yeah it's convenient like Taco Bell. I can live without both.
:thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 3 Apr 2018, 09:10 pm »
How do they continue to exist to provide this support when existing product inventory is depleted and there is no new revenue in the pipeline from development and sale of new products  :scratch:
I suppose they will continue run bussiness as other company in other area and atend Oppo maintenance equips.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 3 Apr 2018, 09:26 pm »

Yeah, back in MY day, things were better!  - said every old guy, ever :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #39 on: 3 Apr 2018, 09:47 pm »
A company that mainly made disc spinners went out of business?
What is this world coming to?!?!