Affordable Dust Cover

Don_S

Affordable Dust Cover
« on: 12 Mar 2018, 05:07 pm »
YIKES!!!!!   :o :cry:

Dust covers starting at $300 for a plastic box!!  OK, acrylic.  I am thinking $1.99 plastic tub from Walmart. Cheap, cheerful, and brilliant white.  But hey, it is the "Sterling" brand.

Suggestions for a more affordable VPI Prime Scout cover please.

Wind Chaser

Re: Affordable Dust Cover
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2018, 05:28 pm »
Years ago I removed the dust cover from my oracle Delphi and replaced it with a large plastic bag. The plastic bag did a better job of keeping dust out, but the primary reason I ditched the dust cover is it adversely affected the sound.

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2018, 05:43 pm »
There are cheaper options on ebay, but you have to look around. Even there, a new one will set you back at least $150...

rikhav

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2018, 08:08 pm »
I make such for under 90 USD
But shipping even within the Country is very difficult, forget international

rikhav

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2018, 08:11 pm »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2018, 05:08 pm »
rikhav, have you made one for a Wilson Benesch Circle turntable?

rikhav

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:14 pm »
rikhav, have you made one for a Wilson Benesch Circle turntable?

Not yet as no one owning one has ordered from me

But it should be pretty easy to make until it's  in a square or a rectangular form as it does not require a mould to be made

Making a mould for single piece makes the price too high

rockn

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2018, 07:42 pm »
I would be interested in you making me one for that price, how would we go about this?

Bob

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2018, 10:47 pm »
Years ago I removed the dust cover from my oracle Delphi and replaced it with a large plastic bag. The plastic bag did a better job of keeping dust out, but the primary reason I ditched the dust cover is it adversely affected the sound.

They tend to resonate and carry those resonances into the turntable structure and maybe that's why. I'd put a drafting weight (basically a leather bag with a couple pounds of sand in it) on top of mine while playing and that seemed to help.

I agree, $300 seems absurd but we are talking about a limited-production piece that is basically a big box of air while it is sitting in the warehouse, so a higher overhead item than one might initially think.

Also, all the ones I had, the plastic seemed to attract dust so I'm not sure they helped all that much.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2018, 05:52 pm »
rikhav, I do not understand this sentence: "But it should be pretty easy to make until it's  in a square or a rectangular form as it does not require a mould to be made"
easy to make UNTIL it's in a square or rectangular form??

Anyway the Wilson Benesche CIRCLE is a circular format, so a circular dust cover would be appropriate.  And a mold would not be mandatory.

rikhav

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2018, 06:04 pm »
rikhav, I do not understand this sentence: "But it should be pretty easy to make until it's  in a square or a rectangular form as it does not require a mould to be made"
easy to make UNTIL it's in a square or rectangular form??

Anyway the Wilson Benesche CIRCLE is a circular format, so a circular dust cover would be appropriate.  And a mold would not be mandatory.

To make any bent shape like a sloping side panel or say sides of a circular cover , a simple cut job won't do. A special mould will be needed to get that curve and for a single piece becomes expensive

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2018, 06:38 pm »
Hi,
    I have an ARXA turntable I'm restoring. The dust cover takes a diamond cutter to put it back on when the record is playing. Thats important! When the sun is shining thru the window look at all the dust. The dust will just go right back into the grooves upon your 20 minutes of play. The design of the AR-XA had no hinge on the player and the dust cover could abrade the edges of the AR's walnut base.
     I went to Home Depot and spent about 20 bucks to get every thing I needed to make something better. The cover is a clear storage box called Sterilite and they have pieces of plywood already cut to size. Wander around the hinge department and when in the wood isle look for strips of red oak or anything else.
   My cover stays up when needed and comes down to protect against dust when called for....I had an extra AR logo so I made it look AR-ish. It works great!.......it was real easy and I'd like to share....Mark Korda

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2018, 06:41 pm »
The Hinge

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2018, 04:29 am »
I would be interested in you making me one for that price, how would we go about this?

Me too.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2018, 12:09 pm »
Digital Deck Covers make custom fabric and faux leather covers for any equipment including turntables.  They have a data base of tables or you can custom order any size.  Very inexpensive and a joy to work with, I got the faux leather one for my VPI.
https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com

rikhav

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:03 pm »
Me too.

Hi mix4fix
Sorry to create confusion but I should have mentioned that I am from India
So yeah I can make the dustcover as I posted pictures for 90 to 100 USD or under it but shipping would be a killer from India to USA or any other country
Plus , there is always a fear of the cover getting damage in transit and to avoid that will need heavier packing which would also increase costs

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2018, 03:53 am »
I have this dust cover available for $75.  Would need to be local sale in the Seattle/ Tacoma area because to ship safely is too expensive.  I don't remember the exact cost to ship, it was about four months ago and to have the UPS store pack and ship was about $125.

rikhav

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:59 pm »
Recently made a dust cover  for a Nessie Vinyl Cleaner

ohenry

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2018, 05:31 pm »
YIKES!!!!!   :o :cry:

Dust covers starting at $300 for a plastic box!!  OK, acrylic.  I am thinking $1.99 plastic tub from Walmart. Cheap, cheerful, and brilliant white.  But hey, it is the "Sterling" brand.

Suggestions for a more affordable VPI Prime Scout cover please.

These guys made a custom heavy cloth cover for my Acoustic Solid turntable and I like it.  It's seams are rigid enough to be free-standing and doesn't contact the table or arm.  It may be of interest to you if you don't require a cover during record playing.  Here's a link to the Prime Scout model:

https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com/vpi-prime-scout

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2018, 03:46 am »
I agree completely, nice folks to work with.

Digital Deck Covers make custom fabric and faux leather covers for any equipment including turntables.  They have a data base of tables or you can custom order any size.  Very inexpensive and a joy to work with, I got the faux leather one for my VPI.
https://www.digitaldeckcovers.com