Looking for a <$200 sub

Doublej

Re: Looking for a <$200 sub
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2017, 01:56 pm »

maty

« Reply #21 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:21 pm »
I did not know them.

The most important thing, for me, allows to regulate the phase and not only to switch between 0º and 180º like others. This greatly facilitates the subwoofer integration with the speakers.

Maybe the BasX S10, $300

https://emotiva.com/product/basx-s10/

[IMG] https://emotiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Frequency-Response-BasX-S10-1.png

[Customer reviews] https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio-Subwoofer-BasX-Sub10/product-reviews/B071HJCBMZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2017, 02:43 pm »
Thanks for the Emotiva suggestions, both have continuous volume, crossover, and phase controls, but -

Neither reaches F3 = 25Hz

The sub with 10 inch driver exceeds my $200 USD limit.  (Before I'd spend $300 on an Emotiva I'd go for the SVS SB12-NSD that is currently discounted for $400.)

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2017, 04:25 pm »
The BIC America F-12 Subwoofer is $167.05 at Provantage but shipping brings the price to $207.50.
http://www.provantage.com/bic-america-f12~7BICA003.htm

Make a list of the subs you are interested in and who sells them, the BIC sub is available at Walmart, Parts Express, Provantage, and Amazon ($208.98) there are probably a lot more locations.
Then check all those places on Cyber Monday (tomorrow, Nov. 27th) and look for free shipping, lowest prices, etc.
Call Parts Express and see if they will price match or bring the price down to $200 including shipping, all they can say is no.
Be prepared to act fast, the super deals don't last long.

Hint: Sign up for Amazon Prime to get free 2 day shipping and cancel after 29 days like everyone else does.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm »
The BIC F12 certainly is a better looking sub than the BIC Venturi.  Similar specs though. F12 is front firing and Venturi is down firing.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #25 on: 27 Nov 2017, 11:23 pm »
RSL10S: https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/

Shipping included, returns included, 30 day trial.

But...it’s $399 and the SVS SB12 is a competitor if it stays at $399. Audioholics review with measurements: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/rsl-speedwoofer-10s

And above $399, DIY starts becoming stiff competition along with all the other usuals like SVS, PSA, Rythmik, etc...

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2017, 01:09 pm »
Thanks guys for the advice.

Anand, the RSL 'compression guide' reminds me of technology from the 70's.  Infinity used it with a woofer on both sides of the internal baffle.  Fried used something similar calling it a line tunnel (have a pair of circa 1990 Fried Model A 2-way floor-standers with it).  I like what I read about it's musical qualities.

Still trying not to spend $400 to mate with my 10 year old $800 MSRP system, but my old sub was a $500 Hsu VTF-2, which frankly I was never overly impressed with.  Just added a wonderful small but beefy sealed DIY sub (bought from a friend) to my audio system and loving the foundational musical support it adds.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2017, 01:14 pm »
....Just added a wonderful small but beefy sealed DIY sub (bought from a friend) to my audio system and loving the foundational musical support it adds.

Pics or it never happened  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #28 on: 28 Nov 2017, 01:50 pm »
I wouldn't rule out a used one from Craigslist.  It may take awhile to find one, and most are meant for cars, but filter through all that and be patient.

JLM

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2017, 10:58 am »
Pics or it never happened  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

Sorry, but haven't had much success posting photos here.   :oops:  How do I do it?

JLM

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2017, 11:08 am »
I wouldn't rule out a used one from Craigslist.  It may take awhile to find one, and most are meant for cars, but filter through all that and be patient.

I live in a rural audio wasteland.  The nearest city is Flint Michigan (which rivals Detroit as the #1 crime city in America and now of course after bankruptcy has bad water).  The nearest audio shop (if it still exists) is 50 miles away and does mostly HT, but is small and way, way out of current trends.  With my low budget/priorities it's not worth messing much or driving farther.  So prospects for finding a decent well cared for used sub locally are very poor. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2017, 11:23 am »
Sorry, but haven't had much success posting photos here.   :oops:  How do I do it?

When you reply to a post, look for the tab that says “Upload and insert an image” or “Select and insert an image from your gallery”.

Then follow the instructions.

Use the preview button a few times to make sure your pics look good to others on the forum.

That’s just 1 way of uploading a photo. There are a few others.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

« Reply #32 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:08 pm »
Anand,

Took pics with my iPhone, plugged into my MacBook via USB, downloaded to Dropbox, came back to AC and hit reply, clicked on 'upload and insert an image', did that, got a note in lower right corner of the box to upload..., tried that but nothing happens.

2oldcranks

« Reply #33 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:23 pm »
sent you a PM I am local with a very good sub to sell

Peace

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #34 on: 29 Nov 2017, 02:32 pm »
Anand,

Took pics with my iPhone, plugged into my MacBook via USB, downloaded to Dropbox, came back to AC and hit reply, clicked on 'upload and insert an image', did that, got a note in lower right corner of the box to upload..., tried that but nothing happens.

How did you get your pics up in your gallery?

Do it that way first. Then select and insert the image from your gallery.

Best,
Anand.

apstoltz

« Reply #35 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:07 pm »
I have been very satisfied with the older Martin Logan Dynamo sub that houses a 10" in a sealed configuration. Very impressive for the size and can usually be had on ebay for the $200 mark.

https://www.martinlogan.com/products/dynamo

JLM

« Reply #36 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:20 pm »
I have been very satisfied with the older Martin Logan Dynamo sub that houses a 10" in a sealed configuration. Very impressive for the size and can usually be had on ebay for the $200 mark.

https://www.martinlogan.com/products/dynamo

Price when discontinued = $649 therefore two strikes against it (discontinued and too expensive).

JLM

« Reply #37 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:41 pm »
OK, I've updated my gallery.  I listen near-field from my MacBook Air and 10ft USB cable.  The large off white rectangles are GIK 244 panels (six total).  The Temple Audio mono-blocks and DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core are on spare piece of shelving I stained (poorly) and added spikes to (note all run from wall warts).  The speakers are Brine Acoustics M18-F200 (not seen on the floor behind - fed by the white speaker cables - are 'Late Ceiling Splash' tweeters ala Duke LeJeune of Audio Kinesis).  The back of my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room is my desk, drafting table, and file cabinet.  Two matching bookcases are opposite of the sub.  The sub driver is servo (not the amp).  Here's my entire gallery to display it all:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #38 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:56 pm »
I have no idea how you guys can get a sub to integrate properly when placed in a corner or up against a wall. The only way I've been able to live with a subwoofer at all is with it out away from any boundary. Best results for me ar with the sub in between the speakers and on the same plane.

JLM

« Reply #39 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:28 pm »
I have no idea how you guys can get a sub to integrate properly when placed in a corner or up against a wall. The only way I've been able to live with a subwoofer at all is with it out away from any boundary. Best results for me ar with the sub in between the speakers and on the same plane.

Surprised me too, but as I understand that's part of the magic of using DSP.  The sound is totally in-sync with either pair of the mains I use (setup in slightly different locations).  Note that my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core can store up to 4 different settings, so I have one for each pair of mains with and without the sub.  As I understand subs equipped with a mike and DSP do the same sort of self-calibration.