Scopus 100

Mike-48

Scopus 100
« on: 1 Nov 2017, 12:49 am »
My room is 20.5' long x 12.5' wide by 7' high (a basement).  It's got three LF peaks, the most troublesome musically being right at 100 Hz. This is +3 dB in one channel and +5 dB in the other. Maybe a little more, as those are my parametric EQ settings, and usually I slightly under-correct.

I don't want more treble absorption, or even around 200 Hz, so the Scopus 100 with an Alpha plate looks like a good possibility. How many Scopus 100 would be needed to make an audible difference in the room, do you think?

Big Red Machine

Re: Scopus 100
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2017, 12:20 pm »
I'm looking forward to this discussion. I think we all have standard room resonances in typical homes to deal with, especially in the 7 to 8 foot ceiling heights. So if a Scopus device can help mitigate those I'm interested in trying them.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2017, 02:13 pm »
Mike,

Sent you a pm.

Thanks
Anand.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2017, 04:57 pm »
From my experienced, 3dB and 5dB are relatively small aberrations although I'm not saying they are not noticeable.

Are you not satisfied with the effects of your Parametric EQ to solve this?

I've never used the Scopus products so I don't know if they can control their absorption by dBs.

You would need to find where to place them to catch the 100Hz energy. If you have other low frequency absorbers you could experiment with various locations in your room to find if any effect the 100Hz problem?

My experience, using Soffit Bass Traps mostly but other panels too, was that different positions raised some frequencies and lowered others. I had a major issue with a deep null around 70Hz which I couldn't solve with positioning, even after getting good advice. In the end just adding suitable dBs with an equaliser did the trick. I still don't understand why but it worked.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2017, 05:04 pm »
Going for the Scopus is a good idea - IME it's always always always better to treat the room acoustically, first.  Then only use EQ for what's "left over" after the room treatments are done.

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2017, 04:12 am »
@Hipper:  The parametric EQ does a terrific job for playback. Now I am doing some sound recording in the room, as well, and I'd like to reduce the ringing around 100 Hz if possible. It's audible in recordings, and though some listeners find it pleasant, I'd like a little less of it.

@Tyson: the room is full of acoustic treatment, so I agree with you that that's the best place to start.

Mike

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2017, 08:22 pm »
The Scopus traps will help for sure. You can't really give a correlation in dB, absorption is measured in Sabins. More units (ie, more coverage area) will help more, but exactly how much that manifests as dB in a response graph depends on many factors.

Usually I use the Scopus traps in the way you describe, to hunt down specific problem areas that remain after a good broadband bass trapping strategy has done most of the "heavy lifting". What bass trapping do you have going on so far?

If you are having peaks around 100Hz, maybe try playing that frequency in your room and see where the biggest buildups are at that frequency. Those are good places to put the Scopus traps....

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2017, 03:20 am »
Thanks, JWL. I've decided to add more broadband bass absorption (A6 panels) to the room before moving to Scopus. Let's see how those do.

I appreciate the tip about placement. I'll keep it in mind when the time comes.