2017 DAC recommendations??

JackD

Re: 2017 DAC recommendations??
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2017, 06:39 pm »
I wouldn't let dealer crap discourage me from trying the DAC-10.  I suspect the "great deal" was not that simple. They may not really have access. Shouldn't be that hard to get a discount from list from any dealer.  There is one on Agon now for $950.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2017, 10:55 am »
Regardless of the DAC one ends up buying, be prepared for its value to drop precipitously if new. With the current turnaround in the DAC market down to 6mos - 1yr for new chips/designs/components, whatever you get now is going to be considered old news by next year. DACs imo have the highest depreciation in hi-fi. I would not buy new unless to demo or very inexpensive - and there are a glut of options in the used market (e.g. A 2015 Chord Hugo just sold for half its retail cost).

An excellent point. My own Vega didn’t sell for more than 1/3 rd the original retail value.

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2017, 12:30 pm »
An excellent point. My own Vega didn’t sell for more than 1/3 rd the original retail value.

Best,
Anand.

And that's my #1 reason for not combining DAC and preamp.  But it hasn't stopped me from doing it 2 of the last 3 times.   :roll:

santacore

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2017, 02:26 pm »

Best,
Anand.

Unfortunately Auralic dropped the retail price on the unit a good $700 a year or so ago, which didn't help resale prices.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:33 pm »
Regardless of the DAC one ends up buying, be prepared for its value to drop precipitously if new. With the current turnaround in the DAC market down to 6mos - 1yr for new chips/designs/components, whatever you get now is going to be considered old news by next year. DACs imo have the highest depreciation in hi-fi. I would not buy new unless to demo or very inexpensive - and there are a glut of options in the used market (e.g. A 2015 Chord Hugo just sold for half its retail cost).

Well not all DAC's. I bought the AQUA Formula as it is modular uses no chip and updates are either new plug in boards or computer uploads.

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2017, 06:02 pm »
Regardless of the DAC one ends up buying, be prepared for its value to drop precipitously if new...

This is a non issue. DACs like are essentially computers. And everyone knows computers depreciate fast.

All computers regardless of form, be it a DAC or digital camera or a smart phone, tablet etc... they all have two things in common; they are computers, and thus by nature they depreciate fast.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2017, 06:30 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just got confirmation that my DAC-10 has been shipped.  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2017, 06:50 pm »
This is a non issue. DACs like are essentially computers. And everyone knows computers depreciate fast.

All computers regardless of form, be it a DAC or digital camera or a smart phone, tablet etc... they all have two things in common; they are computers, and thus by nature they depreciate fast.

M'kay.

dburna

« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2017, 07:00 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just got confirmation that my DAC-10 has been shipped.  :thumb:

Great news.  Penny for your thoughts......once you've had a chance to let it break in.

-dB

spenrock

« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2017, 08:08 pm »
For what its worth, here is a chart I did out of curiosity.  It is the Stereophile rankings of DACs from 2015-2017 Recommended Components lists.  The numbers on Y-axis correspond to ratings: A+=6, A= 5, ...E=1. The dollar amounts on the bottom are for Stereophile given new List price. I cut-off the DACs at $15,000 because they skew the range of the chart.  I used Stereophile because they are one of the few ratings sources. I guess I could also use the Darko list if I have time.

The A+ at $2000 is the Benchmark DAC2 HGC.
A rated < $2000: Aurender Flow, Benchmark DAC1 HDR, Cambridge Azur 851D, Hallide USB-S, M2Tech Young DSD, Musical Fidelity V90-DAC, Mytek Brooklyn & Stereo 192-DSD-DAC.

Perhaps, a place to start for those also considering DACs.

JDoyle

« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2017, 09:00 pm »
For what its worth, here is a chart I did out of curiosity.  It is the Stereophile rankings of DACs from 2015-2017 Recommended Components lists.  The numbers on Y-axis correspond to ratings: A+=6, A= 5, ...E=1. The dollar amounts on the bottom are for Stereophile given new List price. I cut-off the DACs at $15,000 because they skew the range of the chart.  I used Stereophile because they are one of the few ratings sources. I guess I could also use the Darko list if I have time.

A rated < $2000: Aurender Flow, Benchmark DAC1 HDR, Cambridge Azur 851D, Hallide USB-S, M2Tech Young DSD, Musical Fidelity V90-DAC, Mytek Brooklyn & Stereo 192-DSD-DAC.

How cool of you to do this...  Thank you!
Could there be a numeric key to see which Dac is which?

JD

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2017, 10:04 pm »
Great news.  Penny for your thoughts......once you've had a chance to let it break in.

I'm making several changes all at once; new DAC, amps, cables etc so it will be hard to isolate the virtues of any one component. Hopefully there is good synergy between all the various pieces.

spenrock

« Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2017, 03:36 am »
How cool of you to do this...  Thank you!
Could there be a numeric key to see which Dac is which?

JD

Here is my constructed raw data.

Note, lots of A+ & A ratings. Not so many below that. 

spenrock

« Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2017, 03:57 am »
Sorry, forgot to upload the file.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:15 am »
Here ya' go.  :thumb:

A_shah

« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2017, 05:28 am »

I need you to teach my 19 year  son old College Math.  I am having a tough time with that !This is GR8 except how many extra  melody notes can I hear from the very expensive DAC's  which are basically Computer crunching machines. Do they also throw of some pixie dust
Cheers !

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2017, 11:05 am »
A couple of sort of off the wall suggestions:

Ayre Codex ($1800, small footprint, includes limited preamp features and headphone output)

Chord 2Qute ($1300, especially good with Redbook, uses custom FGPA chip)

Metrum Musette ($1400, NOS/no digital filter/2R2 design)

Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit ($1250, 2R2 design, upgradable, tried it but it "ruined" 30% of my CDs)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 27 Oct 2017, 04:45 pm »
A couple of sort of off the wall suggestions:

Ayre Codex ($1800, small footprint, includes limited preamp features and headphone output)

That's the one I was leaning towards

Chord 2Qute ($1300, especially good with Redbook, uses custom FGPA chip)

This was the first one on my list before I realized I wanted an integrated DAC/preamp.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #38 on: 27 Oct 2017, 07:11 pm »
Just pulled the trigger on a Benchmark DAC3 L. Should arrive next Wednesday. I currently use an Eastern Electric mini max with Dexa op amps and no Tube. Can't wait. Will give impressions next week :D

zoom25

« Reply #39 on: 27 Oct 2017, 07:18 pm »
Just pulled the trigger on a Benchmark DAC3 L. Should arrive next Wednesday. I currently use an Eastern Electric mini max with Dexa op amps and no Tube. Can't wait. Will give impressions next week :D

Congrats, David!  :thumb: