Hello from IL

needtubes

Hello from IL
« on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:52 pm »
I've browsed the Spatial Audio and Open Baffle forums a few times as a non-member, but finally decided to officially join up when I saw a very affordable pair of Spatials for sale in the Classifieds forum.  Pity new members cannot post there or send private messages, so I guess I will miss out of a great deal.  :(

I have been into "hifi" since I was a sophomore in high school, and have been building my own amplifiers and speakers for as long.  Unsurprisingly, I am a long-time member of the DIY Audio forums.  I am particularly fond of 'simple' circuit topologies which perform exceptionally (a la Nelson Pass, for instance).

My short-term audio plans are to build or buy a pair of open baffle speakers.  I have long since fell in love with their sound, but only recently have acquired the space for them.  This looks like a good place to research open baffle designs, and I look forward to learning from what other members have done.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from IL
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:01 pm »
Welcome Needtubes :thumb:
With 3 post you can post at the Trading Circle.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:02 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle from MO

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:22 pm »
My short-term audio plans are to build or buy a pair of open baffle speakers.
I think you will like this woofers:
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/15inch-open-baffle-bass-woofers/

needtubes

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:32 pm »
Welcome Needtubes :thumb:
With 3 post you can post at the Trading Circle.

Well, that's good news!  I've had my eye on the Spatial M4 for a while now, and have missed out on some good deals in recent months since I bought a house back in August, which my complicated finances a bit...

needtubes

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:41 pm »
Have you tried the Pure Audio Project OB woofers?  I've looked at those, the original Alpha 15, the Beta 15 favored by Clayton Shaw, Delta 15 and similar favored by Nelson Pass, AE Dipole-15...  So many choices!  And, so difficult to choose one, given the wide variance in price.

Am still somewhat torn about whether I should buy OBs or build my own.  Having been an apartment dweller until now, I don't (yet) have all the tools necessary to build.  But, I am pulled toward DIY...

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:43 pm »
Welcome!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:00 pm »
Hello from Illinois (west central).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:28 pm »
Have you tried the Pure Audio Project OB woofers?  I've looked at those, the original Alpha 15, the Beta 15 favored by Clayton Shaw, Delta 15 and similar favored by Nelson Pass, AE Dipole-15...  So many choices!  And, so difficult to choose one, given the wide variance in price.

Am still somewhat torn about whether I should buy OBs or build my own.  Having been an apartment dweller until now, I don't (yet) have all the tools necessary to build.  But, I am pulled toward DIY...
The PAP15Neo is my favorite so far, much better than the A-E woofers which have all heavy cones and are expensives, the PAP mms is just 69grams same weight than the Alpha15A, as both use the same cone, a winner IMO. Also a QTS 0.72 wont do a soft bass.

Should be a carpenter in your area, You would order the PAP15 and a 6 or 8'' FR and voilá, you have a OB panel. Xover must be nothing or just a inductor to cut the woofer.

needtubes

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2017, 04:53 pm »
From what I can tell, the AE Dipole series need an active crossover with bass boost to be usable.  This isn't desirable to me since I like to keep my system as simple as possible (one special purpose audio PC, one DAC, one power amp), which is one reason I was drawn to the Spatial M4.  I'll see how the Pure Audio Project woofer models on my proposed baffle.  Already have a couple full range speakers from Mark Audio - Alpair 6p, 7p, and 10p.  Was thinking about using the 10p on top, or possibly buying the metal cone Alpair 7.  So many options there, as well!

Thanks to all for the welcome.  I am also in west central IL, opnly bafld - Quincy area.  Whereabouts are you?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2017, 05:08 pm »
From what I can tell, the AE Dipole series need an active crossover with bass boost to be usable.
They rec miniDSP, they refused to sell the D15 to me as I was not intend to use DSP bass correction, I wished to use nothing or max an inductor.
I'll see how the Pure Audio Project woofer models on my proposed baffle.  Already have a couple full range speakers from Mark Audio
PAP use a complex Xover, awful monster:
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/leonidas-variations/
Alpair 6p, 7p, and 10p.  Was thinking about using the 10p on top, or possibly buying the metal cone Alpair 7.  So many options there, as well!
I prefer the organic sound of a paper cone.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2017, 07:19 pm »
Another hello. I'm in Chicago!

And there is usually a meet up of AC folks each year at AXPONA, out in Rosemont.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:01 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC needtubes   :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2017, 09:00 pm »
I am also in west central IL, opnly bafld - Quincy area.  Whereabouts are you?

Macomb