Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA arm wand change

Backwell

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA arm wand change
« on: 12 Oct 2017, 09:23 am »
I am a new member and I have been searching the WTL Circles for some mention of someone changing their Amadeus GTA arm wand for the LTD arm wand. I can’t find anything on the subject so I guess I will share my experience . The visible difference is the Ltd arm wand has less golf ball showing and an alloy top where the arm wand is fixed. The change out is straightforward so I was ready to listen quite soon after unboxing.
The sonic improvements were easy to hear, for £430 I consider it to be the most cost effective upgrade I have ever made, and believe me, I have spent the last 40 years upgrading! If you’ve got an Amadeus GTA you really should try this.

doak

Re: Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA arm wand change
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:14 am »
I am a new member and I have been searching the WTL Circles for some mention of someone changing their Amadeus GTA arm wand for the LTD arm wand. I can’t find anything on the subject so I guess I will share my experience . The visible difference is the Ltd arm wand has less golf ball showing and an alloy top where the arm wand is fixed. The change out is straightforward so I was ready to listen quite soon after unboxing.
The sonic improvements were easy to hear, for £430 I consider it to be the most cost effective upgrade I have ever made, and believe me, I have spent the last 40 years upgrading! If you’ve got an Amadeus GTA you really should try this.

Would this exchange not work on the standard Amadeus?

Backwell

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm »
Hi doak, looking at photos of an Amadeus it looks as if the Ltd arm wand should fit, perhaps a word with your nearest Well Tempered Labs dealer would clarify things. I was alerted of the sonic benefits this arm wand change made by the UK Importer.

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm »
I was alerted of the sonic benefits this arm wand change made by the UK Importer.
Why the sonic benefits? I believe it's the same arm only it has the lift, no?

Backwell

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2017, 09:53 am »
Why the sonic benefits? I believe it's the same arm only it has the lift, no?
Well no, the arm wand is different. As you can see from the photo there is a big difference,  the right hand one is the Ltd version, which certainly comes across in the sound. (Hope this image has uploaded).

sebrof

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2017, 12:12 am »
Well no, the arm wand is different. As you can see from the photo there is a big difference,  the right hand one is the Ltd version, which certainly comes across in the sound. (Hope this image has uploaded).

The one on the right in your photo looks like the arm on the Amadeus MK II (like mine, except the ball is white), which may be the only difference between Amadeus and Amadeus MK II (not certain).
Not sure what sonic differences there would be.

I half joke to my friends that WTL changed from the full golf ball to the ball with the silver cap because guys were bringing Amadeus tables home and wives were like, "You paid how much for a TT with a golf ball in it?!?" The cap hides the ball, and I believe that's why they made the change, because the ball made the table look kinda "science experiment." (My wife has no idea there's a golf ball in my ~ $3,000 table :)

zylo

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2017, 09:43 am »
Hi
Can I ask where you bought the LTD arm? Looking for a new one myself, as the standard is broken.
Kind regards
Rasmus

Backwell

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2017, 03:37 pm »
Hi
Can I ask where you bought the LTD arm? Looking for a new one myself, as the standard is broken.
Kind regards
Rasmus
Rasmus, sorry for taking so long to reply. I bought my LTD armwand from Robert Ritchie HI Fi in Montrose, Scotland.

zylo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2017, 04:57 pm »
Rasmus, sorry for taking so long to reply. I bought my LTD armwand from Robert Ritchie HI Fi in Montrose, Scotland.
No problem at all :) I found a distributor in UK and the price seems to be OK, so just waiting for a friend to help getting the motor spinning again, then I will order the tone arm :)