Who's using sub/subs with their maggies ?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Who's using sub/subs with their maggies ?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2017, 07:40 pm »
I'm using a pair of Rythmik 12SE with my 3.7i. Very fast servo subs

You should try them with the OB servo subs that Rythmik makes.  I've heard just about every sub (and type of sub) as well as built a few myself.  Trust me, NOTHING can touch the Rythmik OB servo subs, especially when pairing to Planars. 

Davey

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2017, 03:43 am »
You should try them with the OB servo subs that Rythmik makes.  I've heard just about every sub (and type of sub) as well as built a few myself.  Trust me, NOTHING can touch the Rythmik OB servo subs, especially when pairing to Planars.

Nonsense.  You haven't listened to nearly enough OB subwoofers.  :)

These type of OB/dipole woofer designs actually date back many decades.  Even well back before Linkwitz has made them more popular recently.
The more current generation (last twenty years or so) long-throw, low-distortion drivers have improved the performance relative to older types.
But to think that a particular current manufacturer is well out-performing everything else is just delusional.

Dave.

Tyson

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2017, 05:57 am »
Nonsense.  You haven't listened to nearly enough OB subwoofers.  :)

These type of OB/dipole woofer designs actually date back many decades.  Even well back before Linkwitz has made them more popular recently.
The more current generation (last twenty years or so) long-throw, low-distortion drivers have improved the performance relative to older types.
But to think that a particular current manufacturer is well out-performing everything else is just delusional.

Dave.

I didn't believe it either, until I heard it.  The servo OB gives you the speed/musicality that any good OB setup gives you.  Where it excels any other OB system I've heard is in punch and slam.  It rivals the best box bass in punch/slam and that's pretty darn rare.  I've heard the Linkwitz OB speakers several times (3 of them being set up by Linkwitz himself), and the OB servo subs leave it in the dust.

Davey

« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:28 am »
I didn't believe it either, until I heard it.  The servo OB gives you the speed/musicality that any good OB setup gives you.  Where it excels any other OB system I've heard is in punch and slam.  It rivals the best box bass in punch/slam and that's pretty darn rare.  I've heard the Linkwitz OB speakers several times (3 of them being set up by Linkwitz himself), and the OB servo subs leave it in the dust.

Tyson,

That's just silly rhetoric.

Closed-loop woofer systems have been around for ages also.  There's nothing innovative about the Rythmik approach (at least that Brian would divulge a few years when I queried on this) and it just adds significant cost and extra complexity.

Regarding "punch and slam"....these type of OB systems are still velocity-based and not pressure-based regards room interaction.  No amount of fancy servo-control schemes will change that inherent characteristic relative to box systems.

I have listened to one of the Rythmik OB systems.  I thought it sounded excellent, but it didn't leave anything I've built anywhere close to dust.

Much less of the fanboy cheerleading and much more objective commentary would be preferable.

Dave.

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:37 pm »
Servo simulates a low Q system, which has good transient response, sounds like more bass detail, less smear, less "warm."  It uses high Q driver (weak suspension and usually weak motor too) to allow easier cone excursion, requiring less amplifier power to damp it electrically. Low power amp and high Q driver keep the system cost down. Servo feedback allows the amp to damp the cone motion electrically, taking out the slop of the high Q driver, making a low Q system (with better transient response, sounds more detailed.)

Similar result can be achieved using a low Q (self damping) driver with strong motor and strong suspension that can control itself without servo feedback. Then apply powerful amplifier because low Q subwoofer drivers are usually low sensitivity, and apply bass boost EQ (because the dipole cancellation and baffle step diffraction always present in OB are not compensated by the exaggerated cone movement of high Q driver.) You get the good transient response without servo control because the cone is naturally well damped by the suspension and doesn't need feedback correction.

Same result, much different price. I would think the low Q driver path has the potential to deliver even better results than servo systems, if lower impedance amp and better damped drivers were used. This means more power amps and more power handling voice coils which means much more money! Any commercial servo system is limited in performance by the power of the amplifier and the driver motor, which are by design, less expensive in order to maximize the main benefit of servo system: good transient response at lower cost than non servo methods of achieving god transient response. All servo does is increase electrical damping, so, technically, a servo controlled system can do anything a non servo system can do, but nobody makes a servo system with the world's best amplifiers and low Q drivers because it would be too expensive. Which is why so few people make OB systems with low Q drivers.

Both of these low Q methods will sound much better than typical passive OB using high Q drivers with weak suspension and weak motors that are necessary to allow loud and low extension at the cost of transient response, ala Eminence Alpha 15, AE Dipole series, or any other high Q speakers. No cone control, no bass detail. Neither the suspension, nor the amplifier can control the cone, so it is allowed to exaggerate the incoming signal from the amp, which lets it over extend to play louder and lower than low Q driver with no electronic boost. Passive OB experimenters get low bass on the cheap, but they will not be satisfied for long with the lack of tonal texture because without damping, it's just a weight on a spring and all it can play is sine waves.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:44 pm »
That's just silly rhetoric.

Much less of the fanboy cheerleading and much more objective commentary would be preferable.

Davey, please keep the personal jabs to yourself.

Offer your opinions and let others offer theirs.

Thank you!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #26 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:47 pm »
Servo simulates a low Q system, which has good transient response, sounds like more bass detail, less smear, less "warm."  It uses high Q driver (weak suspension and usually weak motor too) to allow easier cone excursion, requiring less amplifier power to damp it electrically. Low power amp and high Q driver keep the system cost down. Servo feedback allows the amp to damp the cone motion electrically, taking out the slop of the high Q driver, making a low Q system (with better transient response, sounds more detailed.)

Similar result can be achieved using a low Q (self damping) driver with strong motor and strong suspension that can control itself without servo feedback. Then apply powerful amplifier because low Q subwoofer drivers are usually low sensitivity, and apply bass boost EQ (because the dipole cancellation and baffle step diffraction always present in OB are not compensated by the exaggerated cone movement of high Q driver.) You get the good transient response without servo control because the cone is naturally well damped by the suspension and doesn't need feedback correction.

Same result, much different price. I would think the low Q driver path has the potential to deliver even better results than servo systems, if lower impedance amp and better damped drivers were used. This means more power amps and more power handling voice coils which means much more money! Any commercial servo system is limited in performance by the power of the amplifier and the driver motor, which are by design, less expensive in order to maximize the main benefit of servo system: good transient response at lower cost than non servo methods of achieving god transient response. All servo does is increase electrical damping, so, technically, a servo controlled system can do anything a non servo system can do, but nobody makes a servo system with the world's best amplifiers and low Q drivers because it would be too expensive. Which is why so few people make OB systems with low Q drivers.

Both of these low Q methods will sound much better than typical passive OB using high Q drivers with weak suspension and weak motors that are necessary to allow loud and low extension at the cost of transient response, ala Eminence Alpha 15, AE Dipole series, or any other high Q speakers. No cone control, no bass detail. Neither the suspension, nor the amplifier can control the cone, so it is allowed to exaggerate the incoming signal from the amp, which lets it over extend to play louder and lower than low Q driver with no electronic boost. Passive OB experimenters get low bass on the cheap, but they will not be satisfied for long with the lack of tonal texture because without damping, it's just a weight on a spring and all it can play is sine waves.

Very nicely put Rich. All excellent points.

Best,
Anand.

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 6 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm »
Davey, I actually have 2 points.  The main point I'm making is that good quality OB bass matches better with OB speakers like planars.  I don't think you have an issue with this point. 

My other point is that the servo OB bass I've heard is better than other OB bass systems I've heard.  That is a factual statement.  I'm not sure how you can dispute it. 

You say you've made as good or better OB bass systems.   Great - I'd love to hear it.  But until/unless I do, I'm sticking by my original statement that the servo OB subs are the best I've heard (and not by a little). 

earforce

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jun 2020, 09:01 am »
I use REL T2 for MG12. Great combination for about 40 squaremeters.

mcmusicman

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:44 pm »
I use a pair of reasonably Elac 12" subs mainly because I like the Auto EQ / Room correction feature and the app to control them.  Setting phase, delay and pass super simple and can optimize to your listening position. They work very well with my 1.7s