FS: Monarchy Audio M24 DAC/Linestage Upgraded SOLD

StevenZ

Selling a Monarchy M24 DAC/Linestage that has been upgraded by Stephen Sank of Talking Dog Transducer.  I bought the DAC with a 12 month warranty and the remaining 10 months (as of the time of this posting) of warranty from Stephen Sank and is fully transferable.  I'm asking $875 OBO which includes shipping. Shipping CONUS only, PayPal only (I'll cover fees).   Please note, the RCA-labeled Mullards in the below description have been replaced with JAN Phillips 12AT7 bought from TubeDepot (Matched, Balanced Triodes & Low Noise/Microphonics)  I'm rating the condition as a solid 7.  The faceplate is in excellent condition but the top of the case is a little scratched up though nothing that can be seen from a few ft away.  Also, the lettering doesn't show up well in photos for some reason but in person it's perfectly legible and everything intact.

Folks, don't let the price fool you, this is a true end-game source/pre.  If it weren't for the need to immediately to purchase a car this wouldn't be for sale.  Check out TAS's review of the Monarchy NM24 which won a 2016 Golden Ear award (the M24 is better). 

Here is the original item description from Stephen Sank.

"Offered for sale is a Monarchy Audio M24 dac/linestage-preamp, upgraded & with full one year warranty from me, Talking Dog Transducer Co.

It functions as a fully 24bit/96kHz-capable d/a converter, using the legendary PCM63P-K ladder dac chips, AND as a tube linestage preamp.  It has two digital inputs for dac section(one coax RCA, one Toslink optical), one pair of left/right analog inputs for using just as a linestage preamp(such as for a phono stage), and has two sets of outputs.  These outputs are direct dac output at fixed full output level, and volume-controlled final output from tube linestage(which is fed by the dac's tube output stage when dac is selected).

While not thoroughly upgraded, what has been done achieves about 90 percent of the potential there is for sonic improvement in the unit(in terms of keeping the original circuit design).  This upgrading consisted of basically three steps.  1)Replacing the horrid original Wima MKP output signal coupling capacitors in both the dac tube stage AND the linestage preamp with a combination of RelCap AudioCap PPT Theta film & foil polypropylene & RT polystyrene caps, with a Matsushita metallised polypropylene added to bring the total capacitance value to higher than original.  The PPT is one of the best sounding caps on the market, as is the RT, and the pair are doing all of the finesse work in this cap combo.  This single change HUGELY opens up the soundstage, spaciousness, clarity and pretty much just removes a big blanket from the sound.  The second upgrade was the installation of two vintage Holland-made, Hewlett-Packard-labeled, Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes in the dac output stages and UK-made, RCA-labeled Mullard 12AT7 tubes in linestage(made minor alteration to allow linestage to use 12AT7, 12AU7 or 12AX7 tubes), both of which are vastly better in overall sound quality and long term durability than the stock Russian Sovtek tubes.  Third upgrade was the removal of wildly unnecessary lowpass filter components within the dac section's tube stages, making a much more direct signal path."

« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2017, 09:56 am by StevenZ »

StevenZ

Re: FS: Monarchy Audio M24 DAC/Linestage Upgraded *REDUCED*
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2017, 01:50 pm »
(Edited) See latest price revision below.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2017, 11:20 am by StevenZ »

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2017, 03:40 am »
Can you comment on the difference in SQ between this unit and a stock one?  What can you say about the overall sound character (ie. lean, rich, neutral, warm, etc.)?

Very interested in what you are offering here!  :drool:

JakeJ

StevenZ

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2017, 11:05 am »
I can't comment on how it sounds vs stock as I bought it modded.  But I can comment on how it sounds in it's current state, and I'd say it's quite neutral.  Of all the NOS DACs I've had this one seems to be the most transparent and extended I've heard.  I've never heard layering like what this DAC can do.  The way it actually picks out each individual instrument in the soundstage and envelopes it is quite special.  I thought I knew what great imaging was when I had my Schiit Multibit, Gieseler DAC and Denon DVD-9000 but this really takes the cake.

I've listened to basically every type of music on this machine, from classical, jazz, rap, country, indie, tejano, etc. and it all just sounds incredible.  What's interesting though is Stephen Sank has a few other levels of upgrades that he can do to this DAC/Pre.  I can't even wrap my mind around how much better it could possibly be as the sound I'm hearing from it currently is the best I've had and the best I've heard.

If I find a way to ease the pain of purchasing a car without needing to sell this machine I'm going to pull the sale.  I'm not saying that to hasten anyone's decision, but just putting it out there that this may not be available for long if I can help it.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2017, 04:02 pm »
Hi Steven,

I understand.  Frankly, I am comitted to two other sales in the classifieds right now with one paid for that I am travelling to pick up and another item not fully paid for.  So I am not in a position to push this deal right now.  And if you can work out the car purchase without selling your sweet DAC/pre then I am all for that!

I've never seen many Monarchy components with a silver faceplate and I like it.  In your photo it appears like there is no silk-screening of the normal markers.  Are they there?

I also must thank you as I had no previous knowledge about Stephen Sank.  Spent some time surfing his website, very interesting.

So for now, GLWTS and I'll keep watching but ultimately hoping you get the car purchase sorted out without having to sell your NM24.

JakeJ

StevenZ

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2017, 11:20 am »
Reduced price to (see original post) shipped OBO and revised terms from Paypal Friends & Family to regular Paypal.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2017, 08:10 pm by StevenZ »

StevenZ

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2017, 08:08 pm »
Lowered Price again.  Open to trades for a SET or SEP integrated amplifier.

StevenZ

Re: FS: Monarchy Audio M24 DAC/Linestage Upgraded SOLD
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2017, 09:56 am »
SOLD