How to stop internet from porting to middle of country???

Folsom

I have no idea why but until early in the morning my CenturyLink DSL will port to the middle of the US and then maybe to europe and back...  :o

There is a video game I like to play, and it makes it impossible.

This all started when I went from 12Mbps to 40Mbps (same price). 

Nothing like reseting the router or blocking devices has any help. It is literally only because the porting to no-where.

The only notable thing I have done is disable Ipv6. Turning it on didn't seem to change anything.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can ping better to the East Coast than the West Coast... and I live in WA state. It is literally double the ping to Seattle compared to East coast.

mav52

Re: How to stop internet from porting to middle of country???
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm »
You don't have Comcast do you ?  not saying you do or don't but this is something https://www.fastcompany.com/3039682/comcast-was-sued-for-quietly-making-your-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

srb

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2017, 12:58 pm »
You don't have Comcast do you ?

Folsom said he has CenturyLink DSL.

Does this routing change happen within a predictable time window each and every day?   I'd be curious to see the different trace routes if you care to post them.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2017, 02:31 pm »
You don't have Comcast do you ?  not saying you do or don't but this is something https://www.fastcompany.com/3039682/comcast-was-sued-for-quietly-making-your-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

Not to sidetrack the topic but one quick question.  I just started with Comcast because they are the only service provider in my new development.  I purchased my own router. Does that mean Comcast can't share my system?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2017, 03:14 pm »
I purchased my own router. Does that mean Comcast can't share my system?

Yes, only Comcast provided gateways have the XFINITY Hotspot feature to share your Wi-Fi publicly.  (Not every model, but almost certainly any newer model).

Those who have one of these Comcast gateways will usually find the Hotspot is enabled by default, but you can go into your account on the XFINITY website and disable it under Settings > Security.

Comcast claims that any bandwidth shared publicly doesn't affect your download/upload speeds or monthly bandwidth allocation, but in the best case scenario it is utilizing the router processor and could still possibly adversely affect network performance.

Steve

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for the tip Steve. Maybe I can get in there and turn on my access to the wifi portion of my combo Netgear unit. When Comcast flashed their firmware on my unit about a year & a half ago they turned off my access to it, though I believe it may appear as a "public" unsecured network in my connection listings. Of course I just went out and bought another combo router/wifi unit to work around that issue.

It may not be an issue if you use a stand-a-lone modem, router/wifi. They deny they did anything, but appears if you won't allow their hotspot by using their combo unit, they don't want you using anyone else's.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2017, 04:51 pm »
Folsom said he has CenturyLink DSL.

Does this routing change happen within a predictable time window each and every day?   I'd be curious to see the different trace routes if you care to post them.

Steve

It seems like it. About midnight the ping goes down, but is still a bit more than you would expect. 9am it's lower as well. What's weird is it was better on the 12Mbps, never had any issues.

I'm not sure these images are useful from Traceroute...

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2017, 07:43 pm »
Try using different DNS providers. Google "uncensored dns" and take your pick. Not certain to fix the problem, but worth trying.

Hand in hand with uncensored DNS services, try using a VPN. That *should* free you from ISP routing oddities, but some ISPs are throttling VPN traffic ...

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2017, 08:15 pm »
I have no idea why but until early in the morning my CenturyLink DSL will port to the middle of the US and then maybe to europe and back...  :o

There is a video game I like to play, and it makes it impossible.

This all started when I went from 12Mbps to 40Mbps (same price). 

I would call CenturyLink tech support. I have CenturyLink DSL too and whenever there is a slowdown I call tech support, they are always very nice and usually flip a switch and everything is back to normal. Once I even let them know they had a bad router in their main frame, it happens to everyone eventually. Of course the best time to call is when you are experiencing a slowdown.

CenturyLink will also try to sell you a new router, with their 40Mbps service you may or may not need one but a new router is one of their standard solutions.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2017, 10:30 pm »
Yes, only Comcast provided gateways have the XFINITY Hotspot feature to share your Wi-Fi publicly.  (Not every model, but almost certainly any newer model).

Those who have one of these Comcast gateways will usually find the Hotspot is enabled by default, but you can go into your account on the XFINITY website and disable it under Settings > Security.

Comcast claims that any bandwidth shared publicly doesn't affect your download/upload speeds or monthly bandwidth allocation, but in the best case scenario it is utilizing the router processor and could still possibly adversely affect network performance.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Now I don't feel too bad about spending $240 + tax.  OK, I still feel bad, just not as bad. Gateways with voice are rare and expensive.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2017, 01:00 am »
I have a package deal with DishNetwork, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I'll try the DNS trick.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2017, 06:49 am »
No real luck. I'm calling them tomorrow.

Although I do enjoy knowing I'm on a non-invasive DNS.