NAD HELP OR China out of patient ""Reproductions"

GRACE RUBY

NAD HELP OR China out of patient ""Reproductions"
« on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:26 am »
ladies,,,,,,,,,Gentlemen  :thumb:

I have a nad 1240 twice modded preamp that has such a lovely graceful soft fuzzy but colorful detailed attack and decay, with a huge bass floor I love.

WITH ZERO LISTENERS FATIGUE

But I think either the new smart meter they just put in is wrecking it, or the caps are going,  :banghead:
cause the bass is getting rubbery at odd times,
and by the way....this "At odd times thing" is a whole new phenomena to me. i have never heard bad caps come and go

When i use the marantz 6005 cd player, it takes a good 90 mins to warm, I use the rotel 1072 it warms faster.
power amp is a high end 1 bit analog driven D amp, That from AS to stereophile has raved about tight bass, detects the difference from a mp3 from wav in a heart beat.

I love the house sound of JeffRowland and marantz, soft "Carmel HEAVEN" to my ears.

Rowland prices beyond my Gypsy life style, I am frigging hard put to part with the NAD.

So then as I put other laying around the house pre amps in to make sure and test the rubber bass thing is just the nad
I look out on the net and find this thing ---

THE THING
[/b][/size]                                                     

So I look in side the thing and see-

INSIDE THE THING

I also note a class AAA stitch job to the rca's

THE RCA STITCH JOB ALL OFC

after a ebay review that says 5000 people adore them, they say this is the same as a 1240 nad after you break it in, except as you can see in photo they have already done a lot i paid to have done to mine like have the head phone circuit removed, trioid trans,,etc.

they have a 2040 model too you can see here below that looks exactly like the 1240 pre they sell (Almost)

https://www.ebay.com/p/NAD-3020-2-Channel-Integrated-Amplifier/110958973?iid=263047252415

(do i see user bias heat adjustments on the out puts there to warm the sound ????)

they also say they will just sell you the 1240 nad board.

then I note they are making all kinds of other companys out of patent stuff.

BACK ON SUBJECT Question-

in keeping with cheep and cheerful rules does anyone know of used warm and fuzzy colorful 500.00 pre amps :icon_lol:

KEEPING IN MIND a nice bass less. everything sounding one octave higher then it was recorded squeaky clean  sound is about the same to me and many of us
as making love to a store window manikin
just pulled from a deep freezer .

Also if this thing above sounds as good as it looks for only $180.00 free shipping, Harry Pearson is gonna be out of a job. I have seen fools spend ten times as much on less.

take care
stay safe

grace ruby

PS you researchers out there, this company shows up in very strange places on the net. good luck

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: NAD HELP OR China out of patient ""Reproductions"
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2017, 07:44 am »
Hi,
Caps start to go about 10 years, how older is this NAD?
I would like stay away from a new solid state pre-amp.
I suggest a 6SN7/6SL7 based tube pre if you want buy a new machine or I could fix the NAD, in this case you would PM member Jeff at SonicCraft for suggestions to replace these parts.
Also you can start a topic at the SonicCraft Circle:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=201
There is a thread on caps there that may help:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142236.0
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2017, 08:57 am by FullRangeMan »

rotarius

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2017, 02:02 pm »
The NAD c160/162 are very nice for the money and have that bump in the bass you seek. :thumb:
The high end might be a bit crisp compared to the older NAD preamps though.  I have owned both, they sound similar.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2017, 07:52 am »
Hi,
Caps start to go about 10 years, how older is this NAD?
I would like stay away from a new solid state pre-amp.

HI FULL RANGE MAN

this thing has been  recapped twice and lucky me, still sounds like the original, last recap 7 years or there about.

tho I grew up with them, I tend to find tubes more maintenance then i can stand, I am not a audiophile, I like to forget what I own and listen, sleep, float away.

BUT thank you all so much for yours here  8)

take care out there

Ruby

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2017, 08:23 am »
The NAD c160/162 are very nice for the money and have that bump in the bass you seek. :thumb:
The high end might be a bit crisp compared to the older NAD preamps though.  I have owned both, they sound similar.

Hello Rotarius,thanks for yours here
I have too much money in this thing to buy another old pre and start over, my post should have been two different posts, I do like soft detailed vintage sound, hi definition sound is not even listenable to me.

I had a house next to me get a second meter on its new expanded garage, for reasons beyond me, when first new meter was installed I had some sound issues, then none for months, then started again, the owner is back working in there again. the guy has a power shop in there with real old  DC current tools, he does some sort of special antique wood cutting, he has three old current convertors that turn DC to AC, this old machine thing is a real hobby with him and I think I share a ground with this stuff, any case I think my nad is fine, he works late and when i listen most, i think his 1900's DC lathes are polluting my lines, I am installing a private ground," in the ground", this is not cheap, sometimes (Not cheap) copper rod needs to go down a hundred feet to get a perfect ground, I will start with a five foot pole, take a ground reading,
if another 5 or 10  feet of rod will give me 100 percent, I think I am cured.

This ground thing is real new to me, most folks do not know it, but they do not have a 100 percent ground, they have a low resistance ground line, but not zero, that can be costly.

RUBY