NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly

Captainhemo

NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly
« on: 15 Aug 2017, 08:04 pm »
We've built one of the NX-Treme networks, now to mirror it with the  2nd.  Somehow when  we  siliconed down the  big foil inductor  , it  moved  towards the edge a bit.... it should have been out further from  the edge  and more towards the   iron core inductor.  May have to slightly turn that iron  core  so it's better  inline  with the  large  foil. There is a lot of distance between them, the boards are  17"  x 12.5".

All main caps are either Clarity CMR (red) or Clarity CSA (blue0.  Bypass caps are a mix of  Dueland silver and Jupiter coppers.  Coils are all Jantzen wax/copper foils with the exception of the large iron core for the low pass. There's even a  Dueland resistor in the  LCR filter, they were on sale  :lol:  wiring is  solid core Neotech OCC Copper 16 awg with the teflon  jacket

Still a little sloppy but getting better  with these.  there'll be tube connectors for both inuts and outputs on these

jay
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2017, 04:12 am by Captainhemo »

danvprod

Re: NX-Treme Networks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:17 am »
Very cool, Jay. Those are serious. I really want to hear these.

jimbones

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:29 am »
Dayum, thats a crossover  :lol:

yarf

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:50 am »
please don't ever take those to an airport ...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2017, 02:20 am »
Have the issues with the NX drivers been worked out? 

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2017, 04:29 am »
Very cool, Jay. Those are serious. I really want to hear these.
We are too !!  Cabinets are hung up in paint ...
Have the parts here to build out a  set of  "stock" networks  as well (pretty  nice parts  count for a  stock  network) so at some point, we'll  try and do an honest comparison

jay

Captainhemo

Re: NX-Treme Networks & final Assembly
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:26 am »
Cabinets are returning from the painters. Was a bit of an adventure but we've finally found  "the guy".  These cabients  were  sealed up in  House of Kolor  Pavo Purple  sealers to prepare for  the HOK Pavo Purple base coats.   Once      the base was laid down,  the  HOK silver / white marblizer was applied to create the  Marble/vein effect.    didn't want these   to bold so    next  a couple coats of  Violet Ice Pearl  was applied  to tone the  marblizer  just  a touch.   After  that, an interstage clear    was appplied  before the  final House of Koler   clear  coats.  these things  have a ton of depth and  are pretty stunning to look at in person.

Keep in mind, these NX-tremes hav the same baffle width as the   NX-Otticas inthe  picture.  The  NX-Tremes is  about  16"  in front of the Ottica  and the camera is obviously   playing with the perspective  somewhat.  that being said, they are still BIg 

Hopefully,   this one will  be all fitted  out with drivers and wiring  tomorrow afternoon,  we'll go grab the 2nd   cabinet and get these bad boys up and running  soon.

jay

gaelen5

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:45 am »
Ho. Lee. Faaack! :o Those things are gorgeous. It does look more subdued from a distance, but up close it looks like there is a lot of detail.  Glad things worked out well with "the guy". Haha!

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:58 am »
Ho. Lee. Faaack! :o Those things are gorgeous. It does look more subdued from a distance, but up close it looks like there is a lot of detail.  Glad things worked out well with "the guy". Haha!

It's  exactly what we were after. The fact we  were able to so easily convey to him what we wanted  was   cool, especially  after what  we'd already gone through with someone else

jay

DeeJayBump

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2017, 06:05 am »
Jay-

Even without drivers, that tower looks awesome. Really demonstrates how much larger they are over the Oticas.

Thanks.

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2017, 09:44 am »
Wow those look crazy huge! What is the combination of drivers? Only one tweeter huh? Cant wait to see them loaded.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2017, 02:12 pm »
Wow those look crazy huge! What is the combination of drivers? Only one tweeter huh? Cant wait to see them loaded.

Here is a thread made during testing: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145270.0

And this one shows the development of the NX-Otica and NX-Treme models:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138009.msg1528685#msg1528685

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2017, 02:53 pm »
Wow Jay, those are magnificent. Makes me wish I had a spray booth so I could try finishes like this.

Always curious about the process, do you know what purpose the inter-stage clear coat serves?

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:19 pm »
Jay-

Even without drivers, that tower looks awesome. Really demonstrates how much larger they are over the Oticas.

Thanks.

That pic  is not a a very good comparison at all, it's pretty misleading with regards to the actual size... will try and get  a pic     withthe  2 different speakers side by side today

Wow Jay, those are magnificent. Makes me wish I had a spray booth so I could try finishes like this.

Always curious about the process, do you know what purpose the inter-stage clear coat serves?

Yeah Peter,  it is cool  what these  guys come up with, you've done some pretty cool stuff  with those Encores  yourselve  :thumb:
John Kosmoski and the House of Kolor team are always striving to make their paints better, he's been a real innovator in the cutom paint world for a  long time, some really good vids on  You-tube of him doing interviews and demos  etc.... I  really enjoy watching them , interesting stuff.

The interstage clear  is to promote adhesion to the  Ice Pearl (afaik). It may have even been the House of Kolor AP01 adhesioin promoter, I'm not sure... next time I'm up there I'll ask.

Can spend lots of time loking at  some of the  HOK products here:
http://houseofkolor.com/products/?ref=topnav

and  huge color / effects  info here
http://houseofkolor.com/kolors/?ref=topnav

jay

gaelen5

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2017, 04:46 pm »

The interstage clear  is to promote adhesion to the  Ice Pearl (afaik). It may have even been the House of Kolor AP01 adhesioin promoter, I'm not sure... next time I'm up there I'll ask.

Exactly - adhesion promotion. Without that step the clear coat will bubble and peel off in corners. Percy said it looks like when you stretch a vinyl sticker too far into a corner; they initially stick, but eventually they bubble.

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2017, 03:52 am »
Here's a couple more shots of the first cavinet still sans no-rez but    pnow playing.
These are wired with Neotech UPOCC solid core 16 awg copper. (Teflon jacket)  As  some will know,   almost imppossible to get it in different colors unless you  order   large quantities so it's all wired in red which    was a bit of  pitA but not   too bad.  We wired up  one leg at a time and worked our  way through the cabinet

This one shows the size difference  between the NX_ottica and NX-Treme   in a better perspective .

It's pretty difficult to make any  real comments  at this pint other than it sounds   really good. can't wait to get the  2nd cabinet done and  hear them as a pair

jay

Odal3

« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:53 am »
Looking impressive  :thumb:

Next time you need to ask for a design even taller - looks like you would have room for at least one more driver :D

Looking forward to hear your impressions and how they compare to the other designs.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2017, 05:21 am »
Looking impressive  :thumb:

Next time you need to ask for a design even taller - looks like you would have room for at least one more driver :D

Looking forward to hear your impressions and how they compare to the other designs.

Don't forget, you have to be able to stand it up once you get it into the room  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2017, 04:28 am »
Ok, I tried to get some decent pics but  obviously I failed, these just don't cut it.... hopefully  someone else who popped by Don's to have a listen had better luck.   It's hard to capture the  marblized effect  shown in the pics  above... the cool part about these is they are    somewhat sutble at a distance but when  you get up closer,  you really     find out there is  a lot going on
I've had a couple guys contact me asking about the differences between these and the  NX-Otticas,    they  are obviously  very similar in design with  common drivers. One may not expect big differences.....  and in  the sound signature this is true, but in   the presentation that assumption is just  wrong. 
These are  big and they  cast a  HUGE  soundstage.... always felt the  Oticas  did a great job  but these are just on a  different  level. Yup,  this pair does have   signifcantly  upgraded networks that don't come on the   cheap side .... all clarity CMR/CSA with Dueland / jupiter bypass caps,  Jeantzen wax / foil inductors,  and Neotech  UPOCC wiring throughout.  They've also got the new  GR Neo 3 tweeters  which sound  fantastic right out  out of the gate ! they are easily   the equivatlent    of the serenity tweeters, maybe even better.  the    precision and focus is amazing. 
We're only at about the  12-15 hour mark and they  are just "off the  flipping  hook good{"  :thumb:
They are being   driven by a pair of  K&K Audio  63CC3 mono blocks,  an Allnic  L1500  pre (everything  Tx coupled)  and a  Mivera Audio  digiatl front end....  everythign is upsampled to DSD 256 via an i7 7700 based server..     
As these   breakk in  I'll udate  a bit...  we still have to install  no rez  and build some boxes for ehe  c/o's..... all   in due time. 
Again,   sorry for the  poor pics,  they  are apparently hard to   photograph

jay
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2017, 02:30 pm by Captainhemo »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2017, 09:21 am »
Jay,

Nice work. With all those colors you should house the crossover in a see through Lexan box or something...enjoy!

Anand.