Oppo player at thrift shop - worth it?

charmerci

Oppo player at thrift shop - worth it?
« on: 13 Aug 2017, 12:27 am »
There's an Oppo DV-970-HD player at my local thrift shop for $30. Should I snap it up?

Bemopti123

Re: Oppo player at thrift shop - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2017, 12:43 am »
$30 is almost chump change but no one really knows what sort of use it had which means....it might need the transport replaced soon enough.  My 983 HD?  Had the transport fail and luckily I had the original box and sent it to Oppo for service.  It took about $75 and 1 week.  The service was stellar.

The other question goes....do you need it as a DVD player or an audio player? 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2017, 01:00 am »
If he paid $30 for it, what's a reasonable amount of time for it to last as is?

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2017, 01:07 am »
If he paid $30 for it, what's a reasonable amount of time for it to last as is?

This is the mystery in all used devices....some can be quite old but with very little use but then there are pretty faces that are ancient and well used inside.  This is quandary of purchasing used devices.   :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2017, 01:14 am »
This is the mystery in all used devices....some can be quite old but with very little use but then there are pretty faces that are ancient and well used inside.  This is quandary of purchasing used devices.   :thumb:

I'm taking money invested vs particular item lasting.

$30 for an Oppo - 1 year of general use??? 2 years???

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2017, 02:06 am »
I guess mainly for audio. Obviously, it could last a few days, I understand the risks. I just meant the audio but also the video quality of it new.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2017, 02:33 am »
The unit is from back 2005-2007?  Stereophile review about it.  I do not know if you can write home about it in terms of audio because it was used as a transport where it shines.  For non critical listening it would do a fine job.  The digital world has go through lightyears in terms of resolution since then.  But then, I still have a 47 labs Shigaraki transport I bought back in 2002.  Still spins flawlessly.  I would haggle the price down if I were you.  The Oppo was just a $160 back then.  Today?  $30? I do not know. 

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2017, 02:35 am »
The unit is from back 2005-2007?  Stereophile review about it.  I do not know if you can write home about it in terms of audio because it was used as a transport where it shines.  For non critical listening it would do a fine job.  The digital world has go through lightyears in terms of resolution since then.  But then, I still have a 47 labs Shigaraki transport I bought back in 2002.  Still spins flawlessly.  I would haggle the price down if I were you.  The Oppo was just a $160 back then.  Today?  $30? I do not know.

OK - thanks. I have also have a Sony for a digital out player. Sounds like a pass.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2017, 02:51 am »
Clearly you are not a veteran of 'Thrift store'.
f you did not buy it, within an hour someone else did.
The thrift store rule is: buy it now... or never see it again.

I have purchased a Marantz 2260 for $29. from a Purple Heart.
A pair of nice Technics amp and preamp minatures for $20, sold them
A pair of pre and tuner separates. sold the tuner for $100, (even though the used value was $300) kept the pre.
Pair of old JBL speakers for $25..
Rotel CD for $6
The Rotel, Marantz and JBL all to a friend, who still uses them. years and years...

I never go to the thrifts anymore. They used to be great stuff. Now.. way too picked over, and way to little worth bother about.
IMO the only way to go and find ANYTHING at thrifts is to go often, be fussy.

My best find is a R Freeman Worthley picture. I would guess it is worth $5,000.
Oddest thing? time warp like new Chrome plated 1950's Geiger counter $6 (sold it to a friend untested for $75)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2017, 03:25 am »
I never find anything good at thrift stores, the best thing I ever got was a cup holder that I use as a headphone stand.  There's two Goodwills near me and they never have anything, good or otherwise, nothing in electronics anyway.

As noted above, the Oppo is only good as a transport.  On the good side I've had one in operation for over ten years with no problems, knock on wood.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2017, 12:42 pm »
Hi,
     As a house painter I can't work without tunes. Radios take a beating as bad as your shirt when painting. Goodwill always has an old clock radio for about 2 or 3 dollars that will do the trick...Mark K.

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2017, 03:51 pm »
That Oppo is a region free, ntsc/pal player that upsamples to  720p/1080i high definition. It will play any DVD in the world. Well worth $30.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2017, 09:35 pm »
Clearly you are not a veteran of 'Thrift store'.
If you did not buy it, within an hour someone else did.
The thrift store rule is: buy it now... or never see it again.

I live in a small town, things don't always go that fast. Anyway, usually thrift shops that I go to now generally price expensive stuff somewhat high. If there were a set of B&W speakers for $40 bucks, I'd scoop them up immediately. I know great deals when I see them. I question the questionably ones!  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2017, 11:42 pm »
That Oppo is a region free, ntsc/pal player that upsamples to  720p/1080i high definition. It will play any DVD in the world. Well worth $30.

I'd agree if it works it is well worth $30.  I kept my DV-980H for that reason.  I've only got one out of region DVD and have not used it in a bit but it is there if I need it.

smata67

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm »
I have owned the DV-970HD and the DV-981HD.  For audio, the one to get is the DV-981HD, it is the special one.  You can also install third party firmware to play burned SACD and DVD-A discs.  If it gives you any problems, you can send it in to Oppo and they will fix it and send it back for $75.  Of the 50 or so CD ayers I have, it is the one hooked up to my Odyssey/Thiel system.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:29 pm »
Hi,
     As a house painter I can't work without tunes. Radios take a beating as bad as your shirt when painting. Goodwill always has an old clock radio for about 2 or 3 dollars that will do the trick...Mark K.

You don't have one of those worksite radio/charger/power outlet thingies from Dewalt/Milwaukee/Bosch?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:32 pm »
I'd agree if it works it is well worth $30.  I kept my DV-980H for that reason.  I've only got one out of region DVD and have not used it in a bit but it is there if I need it.

If something is bought used for $30, what is a reasonable usage one would expect from it (years/months/hours) before it dies?

srb

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2017, 04:35 pm »
If something is bought used for $30, what is a reasonable usage one would expect from it (years/months/hours) before it dies?

2 years, 7 months and 5 hours

fredgarvin

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:27 pm »
2 years, 7 months and 5 hours

I've heard that if you buy it used for $35 it will last at least 4 months and 10 hours longer.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2017, 05:35 pm »
I've heard that if you buy it used for $35 it will last at least 4 months and 10 hours longer.

That's an Internet myth.  Lifetime can only be extended in purchase price increments of $10.