New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.

Danny Richie

New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:12 pm »

All looks great so far. Now off to measure and test a batch of them to confirm the factory measurements that were taken before they shipped.

More details coming...  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:52 pm »

All looks great so far. Now off to measure and test a batch of them to confirm the factory measurements that were taken before they shipped.

More details coming...  :thumb:
:o

:beer:

Fingers crossed for good news. It would be wonderful to see these work out.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm »
Very good news.  Can't wait for the measurements.   :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2017, 10:14 pm »
+1  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2017, 10:43 pm »
Very good news.  Can't wait for the measurements.   :thumb:
Me either :thumb: :thumb:

Best,
Ed

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2017, 12:28 am »
Danny, any plans for a Neo 8?

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2017, 01:15 am »
Wow!  Good on ya, Danny, I imagine it took some work to get this together.  Fingers crossed they pass the tests.

sandbagger

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2017, 01:28 am »
SWEET

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2017, 08:35 pm »
Okay, I measured a group of them and the measurements looked real good. I think the consistency is a little better than the ones I used to get from BG. And the responses sure look good in the NX-Otica baffle with wave guide that I was measuring them in.

BG made these in two versions. There was a standard version that had five rows of magnets and then a pdr version that only had three rows of magnets and a row of felt filling the two outside rows on both sides. The pdr version had reduced sensitivity due to less motor strength. Also, the added felt on the sides falls under a patent that BG owned. And it is now owned by new owners, Christy Digital.

What I had BG do for me was build a base unit with all five rows of magnets but add the felt to the front side only. This gave the improved off axis response of the pdr version while keeping the higher sensitivity of the base model.

So for the new GR Neo 3 I also had them build these as base models with all five rows of magnets. So sensitivity is kept high.

I had the connectors made from Copper instead of Tin and the film is the yellow colored Kapton instead of Kaladex. Also, the thin felt mounted to the diaphragm is white instead of black. So they are easily identified as the new GR Neo 3.

Now if I sell them with felt on the outside rows like the pdr version from BG then I am opening myself up for a patent suit. So they will be sold as seen here and open in all rows, front and back.

However, my testing reveals that a thick black yard feed through the outer rows produces the same effect and response as the felt used in the BG models.

So I can supply the tweeters and the yarn, but you guys will need to install the yarn yourselves. It is quite easy though.

Just wrap a little tape around the end of the yarn so that you can feed it through the outer rows.

Sliding it through with a toothpick is very easy. And then just pull it up and out in the end.

Then just trim off the tape on the end and push the end down into the outer hole using the end of a zip tie.

Then trim the other end off and do the same.

It's pretty easy and just takes a few minutes. Just don't use anything magnetically conductive or the magnets will try and grab it.

And even though these are an improved version of the tweeter I can still come in on the price just under the sales price of the BG Neo 3. So I'll be listing them for $85 each.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2019, 11:06 pm by Danny Richie »

jeffh

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2017, 09:17 pm »
This looks great.  Will these increase the sensitivity of your existing designs?

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2017, 10:28 pm »
It sounds like we will have to add a resistor to the tweeter circuit if we are running PDRs currently, is that correct?

So for the new GR Neo 3 I also had them build these as base models with all five rows of magnets. So sensitivity is kept high.

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:05 am »
It sounds like we will have to add a resistor to the tweeter circuit if we are running PDRs currently, is that correct?

Thanks,
Ed

Sensitivity is the same as the custom Neo 3's that were made for Serenity Acoustics.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2017, 01:57 am »
Sensitivity is the same as the custom Neo 3's that were made for Serenity Acoustics.

If subbing these into the netowrk desingned for the  standard Neo 3 PDR,   one may also need to alter the high pass cap value a  bit  (Danny ? )
Been playing around a bit with some MTM's, the Serenity  Neo 3's  and a modded  network I'll report on  one of these days soon, sounding  very good 

jay

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2017, 03:55 pm »
Looking real good there Danny.

charles

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2017, 06:04 pm »
Danny, did you try out the diffraction mod that got posted a little while back on these?  If it really does the trick, might be another way to differentiate the GR model  tweeters from the standard BG if you could have them manufacture the needed shape into the front plate?

So... does this mean the neo-10/neo-3 unobtainium line array is back on the table?  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2017, 06:09 pm »
Danny, did you try out the diffraction mod that got posted a little while back on these?  If it really does the trick, might be another way to differentiate the GR model  tweeters from the standard BG if you could have them manufacture the needed shape into the front plate?

I'd like to try those out.

So... does this mean the neo-10/neo-3 unobtainium line array is back on the table?  :green:

I have tweeters for them and Neo 10's can be picked up through Parts Express. So if someone really wanted to build a pair then I could make it happen. 

Oscillate

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2017, 08:44 pm »
"...the neo-10/neo-3 unobtainium line array..."

Which line array are you refering to? ...OBLS, LS-X?

DeeJayBump

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2017, 08:56 pm »
Line Force arrays--which were completed, tested and ready for production when the Christy Digital acqusition made the drivers unavailable--and (possibly) the Singularity arrays, IIRC.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2017, 08:58 pm »
These:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2017, 09:20 pm »
Boy-oh-Boy those were something special. Good thing I'm not the envious type, otherwise I'd have to stop listening to music