GR new products

jparkhur

GR new products
« on: 25 Jul 2017, 03:41 pm »
Danny. I know you have been sidelined recently.  Any news on your new products coming soon??

Danny Richie

Re: GR new products
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2017, 04:40 pm »
Danny. I know you have been sidelined recently.  Any news on your new products coming soon??

As soon as I can get to it all of the different sub woofer options will be listed and sold as kits.

I need to release the X-Otica kit and get it up on the site.

The same goes for NX-Otica and NX-Treme kits. I have been holding off on these a little until the new tweeters arrive. They will be here in a few weeks.

I will also re-release the Wedgie kit when the new tweeters arrive.

And then the release of the Skinny 6's followed by the Flat 5. I still need to build a test box for the Flat 5 too.

I also still have a great looking 6.5" coaxial driver to test.

This broken collar bone has gotten me behind on some assembly work that I am doing for one company too, and I need to get them caught up as soon as possible.

Life has just thrown be too many curve balls lately. Plus on Monday I had jury duty, and that tied me up all day. Ugh. I need some healing and some time.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2017, 05:30 pm »
Danny,

If you shoot me a set of plans for the Flat 5 prototype I'll build one out for you.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2017, 05:33 pm »
Danny,

If you shoot me a set of plans for the Flat 5 prototype I'll build one out for you.

Mike

I'll do that, but will also compensate you for it.

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2017, 05:38 pm »
I have two homes for the 6.5 coax when you are done.  One with 10 inch baffle and one in a PAP Trio with non servo drivers.  10x21 baffle.  I did get NP to send me a B5 xo for a group of ob projects also. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:06 pm »
I'll do that, but will also compensate you for it.

We'll work something out. You've measured drivers and the NX-Otica MTM's for me before so I'm OK with it.

Is the X-Otica going to use the Peerless tweeter like the other X-Series speakers?  If so will the tweeter be closed or open. Ack?  I've been wondering what what the Oticas would sound like with the Peerless tweeter.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:09 pm »
Is the X-Otica going to use the Peerless tweeter like the other X-Series speakers?  If so will the tweeter be closed or open. Ack?  I've been wondering what what the Oticas would sound like with the Peerless tweeter.

Mike

It has been done for a while and Peter built a pair. Yes, it uses the Peerless tweeter. It has a closed back. It sounds great.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:20 pm »
I will definately build a pair of those in an MTM configuration. I'm curious if a comparison with the NX-Otica MTM will produce relativly similar results to what I heard between the X-LS Encore and N1X when I built the  X-LS Encore with the same port and level of crossover components as the N-1X. In other word, when the only real difference was the tweeters.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2017, 06:42 pm »
Coaxial... could be interesting. Current bookshelve coaxials are a mix bag.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:39 am »
Would love to hear more about new tweeter. Seems like you were working on both the tweeter and a round waveguide faceplate. Is the faceplate still in the game?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:53 am »
It has been done for a while and Peter built a pair. Yes, it uses the Peerless tweeter. It has a closed back. It sounds great.

I wasn't sure if the back of the Peerless tweeter could be removed like the N3 can. I suspect there will be a greater difference in sound with the Peerless being closed back and the Neo3 open back but the only way to tell for sure is to build one out and compare them head to head.

The X-Otica does use the M165NX woofers doesn't it?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2017, 02:54 pm »
I wasn't sure if the back of the Peerless tweeter could be removed like the N3 can. I suspect there will be a greater difference in sound with the Peerless being closed back and the Neo3 open back but the only way to tell for sure is to build one out and compare them head to head.

The X-Otica does use the M165NX woofers doesn't it?

With the Peerless tweeter the frequency response was smoother. The upper range of the woofer response using the Neo tweeter and wave guide showed a slight amount of diffraction of the woofers response reflected in and out of the wave guide. Not a lot, but some. And with the flat baffle and Peerless tweeter it is gone and super smooth.

The response of the Peerless tweeter is also super smooth. It doesn't have quite the detail of the Neo tweeter, but it has a smooth balance that is a joy to listen to. The real difference is that the Neo is full open baffle. So the presentation is different. The Peerless tweeter version is more room friendly to less treated rooms. And the baffles are easy for anyone to make. 

All else about the two models are the same.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:46 pm »

I will also re-release the Wedgie kit when the new tweeters arrive.

Hoping to thave a new  wedgi flat pack available when Danny's new  tweeters are ready to ship. These should ease  the angled glue up  for folks.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2017, 03:50 pm »
With the Peerless tweeter the frequency response was smoother. The upper range of the woofer response using the Neo tweeter and wave guide showed a slight amount of diffraction of the woofers response reflected in and out of the wave guide. Not a lot, but some. And with the flat baffle and Peerless tweeter it is gone and super smooth.

The response of the Peerless tweeter is also super smooth. It doesn't have quite the detail of the Neo tweeter, but it has a smooth balance that is a joy to listen to. The real difference is that the Neo is full open baffle. So the presentation is different. The Peerless tweeter version is more room friendly to less treated rooms. And the baffles are easy for anyone to make. 

All else about the two models are the same.

That's pretty much what i heard between the X-LS Encores and the N1Xs. The Encores were smoother, the N1Xs were more detailed. Which one I liked better depended on the type of music I was listening to. For Jazz, big band, a lot of pop and world music I preferred the Encores with the Peerless tweeter but for music with a lot of detail like classical I preferred the N1X with the Neo. With rock the detail of the Neo allowed me to understand more of the lyrics (Stevie Nicks actually says words most of the time).

I got a some idea how the peerless sounded on an open baffle when I heard Scott's X-Statiks at LSAF. I'm looking forward to listening to the two Oticas side by side.