PI Audio BussStop w/20amp outlets on 15amp circuit?

gregcss

PI Audio BussStop w/20amp outlets on 15amp circuit?
« on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:24 pm »
Not sure where to put this so I'll just put it here. Please move if this is not the appropriate area.

I've been using a PI Audio BussStop (surge protector with some filters) that use P&S 5362A 20amp outlets. This device is plugged into a 15amp circuit. Is this a concern and should I look to replace with a 15amp protector or can I leave it in as is?

Thanks,
Greg

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: PI Audio BussStop w/20amp outlets on 15amp circuit?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:57 pm »
It's fine as-is. 15 and 20A receptacles are the same except for the shape of the plugs they accept. The only issue would be if you plugged a 20A device in, it would trip your 15A breaker which isn't really a big deal. In most 15A circuits it's possible to plug in multiple devices that will overload the circuit and trip the breaker... Portable AC units and heaters are usually close to 15A so one of these + pretty much anything else plugged into the same circuit has the potential to overload it.

gregcss

Re: PI Audio BussStop w/20amp outlets on 15amp circuit?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2017, 09:38 pm »
It's fine as-is. 15 and 20A receptacles are the same except for the shape of the plugs they accept. The only issue would be if you plugged a 20A device in, it would trip your 15A breaker which isn't really a big deal. In most 15A circuits it's possible to plug in multiple devices that will overload the circuit and trip the breaker... Portable AC units and heaters are usually close to 15A so one of these + pretty much anything else plugged into the same circuit has the potential to overload it.
Thanks, Dave