Gain

bummrush

Gain
« on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:26 pm »
Hooked up my regular cd player ,Atoll  gain 2.5 v. Ok so hooked up to integrated amp. Way way way to loud. Not sure what cd inputs figure inputs are. Is it senitivity numbers.  But would i hurt anuthing if i tried tape or tunrr inputs,.Had been using a portable car cd player with a loudness dial that worked fine,on a lower numbrr on the cd players volume control. If anything i thought i might not have had enough volume with the Atoll

srb

Re: Gain
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm »
On most integrated amps the CD, Tuner, Aux, etc. are usually all line inputs with the same input sensitivity.  Sometimes the CD input is treated special with a Pure, Direct, Pure Direct or whatever switch and circuit to bypass tone, balance circuits, etc. but still should be the same input sensitivity for all inputs (except phono, of course).

What is the integrated amplifier?

Steve
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2017, 07:58 pm by srb »

sts9fan

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2017, 01:30 am »
Older Qed ,English,very very nice sounding. I know Atoll voltage is a bit higher then norm. When Atoll was hooked up to my Coda pre,i used it at essentially unity gain,so maybe there is just to much gain out of Qed.i know with portable car player setting at 5 or 6 was good sattings

bummrush

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2017, 06:06 pm »
As i said lots of gain. Give or take heres some numbers. Just looking for clues if the numbers kind of wind up to a worst case snario. Cd player is 2.5 volt. Integrated amp 1 volt at 15 k cd sensitivity.  Speakers  are 90 db sensitive. And last number id 6 ohm for speakers.
 Thanks so much. Curious about amp number for cd sensitivity.  Thanks again.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2017, 07:23 pm »
As I recall, older Quad preamplifiers had much higher gain than normal industry standards, while their matching power amplifiers had much lower gain than normal, balancing things to pretty much normal overall, as long as you used both a Quad preamp and power amp.

So using a relative high output CD player with a quad preamp and a normal gain power amplifier might mean you have too little volume control use.  Turning it up to even 9 o'clock may be too loud.

It probably will not make much difference which set of line level inputs on the preamp that you use.  Typically the preamp active gain stage is after the volume control.

Frank

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2017, 02:13 pm »
Thanks for reply. But Frank ite integrated amp is a Q E D from England.  Made like 1988 give kr take.