Dodd Battery Pre Amp Problem

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Dodd Battery Pre Amp Problem
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2017, 01:46 am »
If there are no other good options, I have an extra 24V charger that goes with a dead dac that Gary built.  I was simply keeping it as a spare since I have several Dodd units.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2017, 02:27 am »
If there are no other good options, I have an extra 24V charger that goes with a dead dac that Gary built.  I was simply keeping it as a spare since I have several Dodd units.

A 24V charger is also of interest to me because I'm planning on building out one of Jeremy's chip amps for battery use.

Mike

dragoonxp20

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2017, 05:48 pm »
$64 plus $7.50 shipping seems reasonable. I just have to figure out how to attach the 2.5mm x 5.5mm connector from the original charger. Hopefully that is a 3 wire cable. Another thing that concerns me is the info the spec sheet says that it maintains battery voltage at 28.8 V. My concern is that it may overheat the batteries.

The site you linked to shows a maintenance voltage of 27.6 Volts and so it should be fine.

For the cable attachment, You can salvage the old charger connector. Cut the wire and solder the new charger wires to the old wires. There should only be 2 wires since it's a DC signal from the charger to the battery.

invicta51

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2017, 05:33 pm »
Update! I bought the Soneil 2403SR battery charger and it looks like it is working great. This is a good replacement for the early 24 V Dodd preamps.  Thanks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2017, 10:19 pm »
That's good to know.  Give us a follow up in 6 months to let us know if there are any effects on battery longevity.