Out due to an injury (update)

cleestedwood

Re: Out due to an injury
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jul 2017, 04:18 am »
Wishing you a good and speedy recovery !

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jul 2017, 03:25 pm »
  Well I hope you scored or stopped a goal. I'm still playing ball at 66 and loving it. Heal quickly and never stop playing.

charles

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jul 2017, 03:53 pm »
Danny, I hope this works out in a favorable way for you.

It can't be much fun, particularly when you've got plenty on your plate that is somewhat dependent on that arm.

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jul 2017, 04:05 pm »
  I'm still playing ball at 66 and loving it. Heal quickly and never stop playing.

charles

Spoken like someone who's never had a serious life-altering injury......

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:02 pm »
sunnydaze, you misunderstood Charles.
 He is telling Danny to "heal quickly and never stop playing".
I too wish Danny a speedy recovery and a return to play, as I know he loves playing soccer.
Scotty

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:55 pm »
  Well I hope you scored or stopped a goal. I'm still playing ball at 66 and loving it. Heal quickly and never stop playing.

charles

After my 6th knee surgery I stopped playing ball.

I have had 3 more knee surgeries since that point.

No matter what you try, sometimes you do have to stop playing ball.  :-(

That said, I redirected myself to bike, swim, and do other activities to keep fit.

George

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:11 pm »
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Danny.

Best,
Ed

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:51 pm »
After my 6th knee surgery I stopped playing ball.

I have had 3 more knee surgeries since that point.

No matter what you try, sometimes you do have to stop playing ball.  :-(

That said, I redirected myself to bike, swim, and do other activities to keep fit.

George

Ouch.  I stopped doing stuff like that about 13-14 years back.  When I was 52/53 (65 now).  I helped a (non-audiophile) friend get a stereo at Best Buy.  He was 29 (and played soccer all the time) and I was 52 and we had to park 100 yards away and it was pouring ran.  He asked me if I could run and I asked him if he could catch me.  I spent the last 30 yards running backwards and laughing at him (it was no contest.  Within a year or so after that, I started swiftly coming to the conclusion that those days were behind me and getting further behind me fast.  I try to ride the bike or do other things now.

GregC

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2017, 09:48 pm »
Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Greg

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jul 2017, 08:17 pm »
Oh, once I fully recover I'll be right back out there. I love playing and can still play at a fairly high level.

I live by the saying that you don't quit playing when you get old. You get old when you quit playing.

jcotner

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jul 2017, 06:54 am »
I live by the saying that you don't quit playing when you get old. You get old when you quit playing.

Amen to that and I live by the same rule, except for an added line:
Just choose a game that is suitable for your age.  :D
I spend an hour and a half in the gym 6 days a week.
Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

roscoe65

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jul 2017, 01:52 pm »
Amen to that and I live by the same rule, except for an added line:
Just choose a game that is suitable for your age.  :D
I spend an hour and a half in the gym 6 days a week.
Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

I will second this for a couple of reasons.  Many of us labor under the delusion that our chosen sport will provide the physical activity we need.  However as we age this tends to lead to Weekend Warrior Syndrome.  Sometimes the only physical stresses we encounter are in competition (or snow shoveling).  We aren't training the supporting muscles, maintaining range of motion, or maintaining our recovery ability.  Staying in shape as we get older requires maintenance activity as well, activity which can be very tedious (hence most of us skip it).  I try to put in about six hours per week in the gym, and I have found that my workouts increasingly look less manly and more like a Jane Fonda workout video.  However, by changing mfy focus I am (in my 50's) adding muscle mass, increasing mobility and dramatically increasing my recovery ability.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2017, 03:18 pm »
Just never stop doing squats and deadlifts!

I agree as you get older strength and flexibility must be maintained, it's a PITA but the results of skipping it are much worse.

Danny Richie

Re: Out due to an injury (update)
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2017, 09:13 pm »
New update 7-10-17.

I just got back from a visit to my chiropractor and a local hospital. My clavicle is broken also. And it has a slight deviation. So surgery is also possible. I'll know more later this week. And I am still in considerable discomfort to put it mildly.

Normally anything ordered with us early in the day ships that same day. And anything ordered from us later in the day ships the very next day. There now may be a slight delay of a day or two. I have someone here to help me with orders, but it is not going to go as fast as it normally does.

Please be patient. Orders will be filled and sent out as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm by Danny Richie »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:13 pm »
That actually sounds like good news. Bones heal in a couple of months; ligaments and cartilage are not so easily repaired.

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:19 pm »
That actually sounds like good news. Bones heal in a couple of months; ligaments and cartilage are not so easily repaired.

That's true. But getting through these first few weeks is going to be tough. Everything is painful right now.

At least I am getting better at typing with one hand.

Doublej

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm »
You had a broken, as snapped into two pieces, collarbone for a week before you knew it? You are one tough mofo.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2017, 10:59 pm »
You had a broken, as snapped into two pieces, collarbone for a week before you knew it? You are one tough mofo.

That reminds me of my mom, a few years ago, she fell and broke her hip. She waited a full week before going to the hospital. The doctors couldn't believe it. She was 80 years old at the time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm »

That's what the chiropractor said.

I just thought I separated the shoulder. I did that once on the other shoulder. But when the swelling went down I could tell that part of the collar bone was out of place.

JakeJ

« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2017, 01:54 am »
If it is broken and not separated then I agree it's probably better.  My separated shoulder has never been the same.