What amps have had the best sound with the GR Research Super V?

sunnydaze

The one with the silver hammertone finish is purty too!  Very tempting, eh sunnydaze?

Indeed....wish my bank account was healthier!

Cheeseboy

The Joule Electra VZN100's were amazing  :thumb:

I remember when the Joule was fired up with the Super Vs for the first time. The change from the Decaware was profound.  They sang so well.  It was a match made in heaven.

Cheeseboy

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
I remember when the Joule was fired up with the Super Vs for the first time. The change from the Decaware was profound.  They sang so well.  It was a match made in heaven.

As far as liquidity is concerned, I have not heard anything that can better the Joule.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
As far as liquidity is concerned, I have not heard anything that can better the Joule.

I have a Joule Electra LA 150 MkII SE and have been tempted at times to try Judd's amps with it. The two concerns with me after reading about them is reliably and heat.

The other issue is service since Judd retired a couple of years ago. Rich at Signature Sound works on the pre amps but he doesn't work on the amps. He did say someone on the West coast does but I didn't get his name.

I don't know how different 845's can sound from each other but man do they sound good to my ears.

Greg

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
I have a Joule Electra LA 150 MkII SE and have been tempted at times to try Judd's amps with it. The two concerns with me after reading about them is reliably and heat.

The other issue is service since Judd retired a couple of years ago. Rich at Signature Sound works on the pre amps but he doesn't work on the amps. He did say someone on the West coast does but I didn't get his name.

I don't know how different 845's can sound from each other but man do they sound good to my ears.

Greg

I think it's not that hard to work on the amp at all, given one's experience with tube amps.

I had personally compared my Joule VZN-100 with the best 845 monos from Melody and I still like the Joule with one exception, the heat. :-)
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2017, 08:16 pm by Hugh »

Racer X

Hugh's

Melody Line is without a doubt some of most beautiful
And solidly built Tube Amps on the Market today and the fit and finish
Is as good as it gets

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  I'll second the Melody 845 amps. Heard them liked them allot. An audition is in order.

charles

Cheeseboy

Hugh's

Melody Line is without a doubt some of most beautiful
And solidly built Tube Amps on the Market today and the fit and finish
Is as good as it gets

Hey Rollo and Racer

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm thinking the Melody M845 would be enough.  I've heard them and on the Super V they would be perfect.  I'm going to have to put together a crowd funding effort as I'm only halfway there in dollars.

Will work for 845 Class A mono blocks.

Hugh can you work a miracle? 

Steve

Cheeseboy

Steve

If you remember at Micheal HiFi house we used to used to
Have people bring amps and dacs and preamps almost weekly
Off the top of my the top of head I'll list a few Ncore NC400

Wells imarota   BMC.  Decware tori mk lll. Melody. 211   Coincident
Frankenstein 300 B with EML tubes  Dodd monos
These are the Amps I remember that performed at a very high level

But when they were put up against  the Joule Electra VZN 100 monos

They All bowed there Heads because they new they had been Beat

Yes people do sale these every once in a while i don't remember anyone asking
To find better performance they sold because they couldn't deal with the heat

These do a great job as whole house heaters also

Michaels house was a hotbed of audio learning and listening for me.  Some really great stuff rolled through his home. And those were just the amps.

We don't have central heating.  I wonder if I can get financing from Sonoma County Energy Independence  for installing a Joules Heating System.

Steve

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Hey Rollo and Racer

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm thinking the Melody M845 would be enough.  I've heard them and on the Super V they would be perfect.  I'm going to have to put together a crowd funding effort as I'm only halfway there in dollars.

Will work for 845 Class A mono blocks.

Hugh can you work a miracle? 

Steve

I could do that for YOU.

Cheeseboy

I was able to get the Super V home and up the stairs.  These things weigh a ton.  I have a long way to go before I can get the system together.  So in the meantime does anyone have a guide to hook up using the Rythmic Sub Amps in the Speaker/High level mode?  I'm in need of some music right away.  I wanna hear these in my house even if there is great need for improvement. 

Cheeseboy

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I was able to get the Super V home and up the stairs.  These things weigh a ton.  I have a long way to go before I can get the system together.  So in the meantime does anyone have a guide to hook up using the Rythmic Sub Amps in the Speaker/High level mode?  I'm in need of some music right away.  I wanna hear these in my house even if there is great need for improvement. 

Cheeseboy

Connect the wires you are runnung to the Rythmki amps to the same binding posts you are running to the Super-V's crossover (like bi-wiring). If you amp has more than one pair if binding posts (A and B speakers), DO NOT connect one pair of speaker wires to the A speakers and the second pair of speaker wires to the B speakers. I blew an amp up doing this.

Mike

tasar

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140612.0
Purpose built, no heat, no battery, 1.5w of music

Cheeseboy

Connect the wires you are runnung to the Rythmki amps to the same binding posts you are running to the Super-V's crossover (like bi-wiring). If you amp has more than one pair if binding posts (A and B speakers), DO NOT connect one pair of speaker wires to the A speakers and the second pair of speaker wires to the B speakers. I blew an amp up doing this.

Mike

I only have one speaker terminal output per channel on my amplifier. So I am stacking two speaker cables on each speaker output terminal on my amplifier. One will go to the sub amp on the high level input and the other to the crossover speaker inputs. Is this correct?

Steve

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
I only have one speaker terminal output per channel on my amplifier. So I am stacking two speaker cables on each speaker output terminal on my amplifier. One will go to the sub amp on the high level input and the other to the crossover speaker inputs. Is this correct?

Steve

Steve,

Yep that's how you do it.

Mike

Cheeseboy

Thanks Mike.

SoCalWJS

Glad you got them home and up those stairs! What did you decide on for the Amp(s)?

Cheeseboy

Still kicking around a lot of options. Pass Xa30.8, Melody integrated or monos, Odyssey, other tubed integrateds.  There has to be more solid state class A amps in my budget. I'll have to rewire some cables to accommodate Danny's connectors or replace them.  I'll need ACCables for the sub amps. This is a major overhaul of my system. I think I'll dump my DSPeaker  room correction system. New DAC.  I'll be very busy selling off the gear. I'll want a new furniture system.

I'll need a new printer so I can print all the money I'll need to do all of this.

Cheese

Cheeseboy

Glad you got them home and up those stairs! What did you decide on for the Amp(s)?

I stacked on the stairs and the speaker landed on my hand.  It wasn't pretty. I cut my face and bent my new glasses as well. No one said these weighed so much.

Cheese