What amps have had the best sound with the GR Research Super V?

Jonathon Janusz

I didn't hear it with the super-v, but on very efficient Volti horns a few times - there is a Vinnie Rossi LIO in the trading post right now that is a lot of bang for the buck and sounded very good on the high efficiency setups I heard. 

Seeing as you have battery power working for you right now (and the Dodd pre to go with it), if it were me I would at least ping Danny for a price on that 15wpc Dodd amp he threw out there; putting those two pieces together just can't go wrong.

JakeJ

These amps will make many many speakers sound their "best"!         :thumb:

Agreed!  I now fully understand the term "liquid" when it comes to tube amplification. :drool:

Cheeseboy

This was one of my favorites. It's a 15 watt battery powered tube amp.

I could make someone a real deal on it as I am not using it anymore.

It has a different face plate on it now though. And I think Gary put Sonicap Platinum's in it. It sounds really good for sure.

What wood finish is on this amp today?  My Dodd pre is in coca bolo.  Do you have something a bit more refined than the Sonocap?  Does this amp have the crossover built in it?  What are you asking for it?

Steve.

Shakeydeal

I did a lot of reading today.  The TDA7297 sounds like a true bargain.  I may buy one and built it out of curiosity.    I also read a lot about the Dehavilland 845 and the Melody small 845. My concern about the Dehavilland is the rolled off high end as per several reviews. The midrange and soundstage make it worthwhile.  I have heard the Melody small 845 and it has detail and soundstage for days. The front to back the size of a bowling alley.  I have to find some cash.  Those reveiws led me to the Cary 805C.

Thank you all for getting me started.  I have lots more of your comments to research.  I do agree with you John. Emotiva is the wrong brand for this outing.  Again thank you all.  I'll keep reading and posting as I go

Steve

My LM amp uses 845 output tubes for 22 watts/channel and is much less expensive than the deHavilland amps. There is a used one on Agon right now.

Shakey

sunnydaze

My LM amp uses 845 output tubes for 22 watts/channel and is much less expensive than the deHavilland amps. There is a used one on Agon right now.

Shakey

Years ago I had a pair of ASL 845 monos.  Loved em, one of the best amps I've owned. 

Big window into the heart and soul of the performance.  I suspect any decent 845 amp will give this quality.  Plenty of options.

Danny Richie

What wood finish is on this amp today?  My Dodd pre is in coca bolo.  Do you have something a bit more refined than the Sonocap?  Does this amp have the crossover built in it?  What are you asking for it?

Steve.

It's in Quilted Maple.

And it doesn't have standard Sonicaps. It has the Platinum version (I think), and it doesn't get much better than that.

There is no crossover in it.

I'll take $900 for it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -

Steve.

Danny do you still have the Blue colored amps from Dodd. They sounded great at Rocky Mountain.

charles

Danny Richie

Danny do you still have the Blue colored amps from Dodd. They sounded great at Rocky Mountain.

charles

Oh yeah, I have them, a matching pre-amp, and a matching balanced power supply.

I might could be talked into selling that system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 Well then talk the talk and we may walk into them oh my ! Lucie says 5 cents :lol: :lol: :lol: They are sweet looking and sounding.

charles

Danny Richie

Well then talk the talk and we may walk into them oh my ! Lucie says 5 cents :lol: :lol: :lol: They are sweet looking and sounding.

charles

If you are anyone else is serious then shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

SoCalWJS

Oh yeah, I have them, a matching pre-amp, and a matching balanced power supply.

I might could be talked into selling that system.
Some of the most beautiful amps I have ever seen. They were making magic with the Mockingbird LS-X's for a short time.

Cheeseboy

Shakey

Last night I did tons of study on the Line Magnetic 518.  WOW.  I gotta hear that. Thank you Shakey One. On paper it looks like the real deal.  As I'm sure that it is. Now to find that inside deal.

Last night the purveyor of my musical dream and I came to terms on his Super Vs. As I sit here listening to Graceland on my line source mind sleds I know my audio future will just as fulfilling however different.  Off I go to open baffle dreamland.

Steve

JakeJ

Congrats, Steve!  While I haven't heard but a couple of OB speakers, the Super V's are one of the best speakers I've heard period, regardless of design.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
The best amp I have heard the Super V's driven by was a pair of 845 tube monoblocks.  DeHavilland was the brand.

JakeJ is talking about my Super V's and I have to agree. At our first get together we ran a few amps thru my system and to me the 845's just had a special sound that I had not heard on my speakers before, liquid is a good word.

With that said Steve, I have read great things about line magnetic amps and the price I understand is a real bargain.

Let us know what you think, I would really like to hear your impressions...

Greg

Racer X

Steve

If you remember at Micheal HiFi house we used to used to
Have people bring amps and dacs and preamps almost weekly
Off the top of my the top of head I'll list a few Ncore NC400

Wells imarota   BMC.  Decware tori mk lll. Melody. 211   Coincident
Frankenstein 300 B with EML tubes  Dodd monos
These are the Amps I remember that performed at a very high level

But when they were put up against  the Joule Electra VZN 100 monos

They All bowed there Heads because they new they had been Beat

Yes people do sale these every once in a while i don't remember anyone asking
To find better performance they sold because they couldn't deal with the heat

These do a great job as whole house heaters also

Shakeydeal

Last night I did tons of study on the Line Magnetic 518.  WOW.  I gotta hear that. Thank you Shakey One. On paper it looks like the real deal.  As I'm sure that it is. Now to find that inside deal.

Last night the purveyor of my musical dream and I came to terms on his Super Vs. As I sit here listening to Graceland on my line source mind sleds I know my audio future will just as fulfilling however different.  Off I go to open baffle dreamland.

Steve

There really is something special about this amp. I am very happy with it driving my Super Vs. It does what you expect from an SET, but has dynamics and balls off the chart.

Shakey

JakeJ

Took a look at that A'gon ad for the LM and I really like the orange anodized faceplate!  As to a rolled off top end with the DeHavillands, I certainly don't remember that on Greg's pair.  I'll have to chase down those reviews for myself.

JakeJ

The one with the silver hammertone finish is purty too!  Very tempting, eh sunnydaze?

MichaelHiFi

The Joule Electra VZN100's were amazing  :thumb: