What amps have had the best sound with the GR Research Super V?

Cheeseboy

If the stars align in the next few days I might be replacing my LS6 Line Source with a pair of Super V.  I'm going from the dynamic wall of sound to an intimate sounding speaker system.  Bring it on! 

I have a Dodd Audio preamp (not passive) Gen 2 with the 6H30DR tube.  I'm wondering what amp would be best to power the Super V following the Dodd.  What have people used that they liked?  What did they not like?  I'm thinking I should replace my 380 watt Digital Amplifier Company, Cherry Plus.  It commanded the LS6 with authority. I don't think I need the power.

I'm thinking tubes. The Dodd is not your dad's tubed preamp. It is fast and detailed. It's battery powered and noise free.  Any suggestions will be considered. What have you used and why.

Steve

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
In the summers, I use Folsom's tda 7297 chip amp with my Dodd pre, powering a pair of X-Statik's (and Danny uses the same chip to power many of his designs).  Since the Super V bass is covered by the servo amp, a dozen watts should be way more than you need.  I'd also consider a EL84 type amp.  It's a sweet tube and can get you a 12-15 watts cleanly. 

Wind Chaser

In the summers, I use Folsom's tda 7297 chip amp with my Dodd pre, powering a pair of X-Statik's (and Danny uses the same chip to power many of his designs).

Currently powering some Spatials with a TPA 3116, I bet that amp works very well with the X-Stats. I wonder if and how it would handle a 3Ω - 100Ω load? How much power at 4 ohms? Any idea as to how it differs from the TPA 3116, esp in terms of SQ?

Shakeydeal

You are thinking right when you say less is more. A high quality tube amp will make the Super V shine. I was using a cj LP66S paired with a Tortuga LDR preamp. Now I am running a Line Magnetic 518ia, which is an integrated SET amp. I am very happy with this combo and I think an SET would work well in your situation too.

Shakey

danvprod

I'm currently powering my Vs with a Decware Mini Torii. I have a relatively small room (14' x 16' x 9') and the three watts drive the Vs to satisfying levels. I like the the MT has two inputs, individual volume controls and also line level outs (to go to the sub amps). More importantly it runs very cool compared to what it was replacing (monoblock 300b space heaters!).

Highly recommended. If you are looking for something with more power the Torii Jr. is also quite nice.

JakeJ

The best amp I have heard the Super V's driven by was a pair of 845 tube monoblocks.  DeHavilland was the brand.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Currently powering some Spatials with a TPA 3116, I bet that amp works very well with the X-Stats. I wonder if and how it would handle a 3Ω - 100Ω load? How much power at 4 ohms? Any idea as to how it differs from the TPA 3116, esp in terms of SQ?
There are 42 pages of discussion about this amp.  My review is the first post. 
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.0

SoCalWJS

If the stars align in the next few days I might be replacing my LS6 Line Source with a pair of Super V.  I'm going from the dynamic wall of sound to an intimate sounding speaker system.  Bring it on! 

I have a Dodd Audio preamp (not passive) Gen 2 with the 6H30DR tube.  I'm wondering what amp would be best to power the Super V following the Dodd.  What have people used that they liked?  What did they not like?  I'm thinking I should replace my 380 watt Digital Amplifier Company, Cherry Plus.  It commanded the LS6 with authority. I don't think I need the power.

I'm thinking tubes. The Dodd is not your dad's tubed preamp. It is fast and detailed. It's battery powered and noise free.  Any suggestions will be considered. What have you used and why.

Steve
Steve, I can recommend a couple of amps that DO NOT work with the Super V's....... :green:

Really, really, really want to try some SET's at some point.

Hope the speaker swap works out for you!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
The best amp I have heard the Super V's driven by was a pair of 845 tube monoblocks.  DeHavilland was the brand.

It's hard to beat a pair of 845 monos.

Shakeydeal

Steve, I can recommend a couple of amps that DO NOT work with the Super V's....... :green:

Just out of curiosity, what would those be?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -

Steve

A Dodd if you can find one. If you were in NY I could bring over a 211 based SET [ my personal amp ] to check out as a learning experience. Hugh can help you out as well.

charles

charles

Philistine

I used to have an Eddie Vaughn Carina SET amp powering V2's, stupidly I sold it when I stopped using the V2's and deeply regret it.

I'm now using In Line Maraschino's (Tommy O'Brien DAC), I believe the 36V version, to power my Super V's.  The Maraschino's are very neutral, compact, inexpensive and a good combo with the Super V's.  I've grown out of the constant AB testing always looking for something better, Super V's taught me to relax and enjoy the music.  Maraschino's may or may not be the best amps with the Super V's, but they work pretty good 

ebag4

I have used the Bottlehead Stereomour (2A3) and Kaiju (300B) to drive my V1s, both sounded great.  My room is small, in a larger room I suspect the 2A3 could potentially be under powered, however the 300B should work in all but the largest rooms.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

This was one of my favorites. It's a 15 watt battery powered tube amp.

I could make someone a real deal on it as I am not using it anymore.

It has a different face plate on it now though. And I think Gary put Sonicap Platinum's in it. It sounds really good for sure. 

sunnydaze

These amps will make many many speakers sound their "best"!         :thumb:

SoCalWJS

Just out of curiosity, what would those be?
Emotiva XPA-1, Classe CAV150 (Multi channel HT amp). Both have tons of power, but lack what I would call musical intimacy at low volume. Super Vs are so efficient. You need something that excels in the first few watts IMO.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Emotiva XPA-1, Classe CAV150 (Multi channel HT amp). Both have tons of power, but lack what I would call musical intimacy at low volume. Super Vs are so efficient. You need something that excels in the first few watts IMO.

Emotiva is good for HT. :)

bdp24

Roger Modjeski (Music Reference) is making a few different low-power tube amps these day, with "exotic" tubes. He also still offers the RM-10, either in class A/B (35w/ch from a pair of EL84 tubes) or Class A (10w/ch, I think). Good sounding amp, and very stable/trouble free.

SoCalWJS

Emotiva is good for HT. :)
Yep. Still would like to try some of your amps for awhile.

Cheeseboy

I did a lot of reading today.  The TDA7297 sounds like a true bargain.  I may buy one and built it out of curiosity.    I also read a lot about the Dehavilland 845 and the Melody small 845. My concern about the Dehavilland is the rolled off high end as per several reviews. The midrange and soundstage make it worthwhile.  I have heard the Melody small 845 and it has detail and soundstage for days. The front to back the size of a bowling alley.  I have to find some cash.  Those reveiws led me to the Cary 805C.

Thank you all for getting me started.  I have lots more of your comments to research.  I do agree with you John. Emotiva is the wrong brand for this outing.  Again thank you all.  I'll keep reading and posting as I go

Steve