LarryMac

« on: 24 Jun 2017, 03:05 am »
Hello everyone at audio circle.  I am 61 years old. The last kid just left the house and I paid off his college :-).  Now ready to get back into my hobby of two channel stereo sound. Dusting off old equipment that I haven't used in years.  I have a B&K components Pro-10MC preamp with a B&K 202 plus amplifier. Have on order a Fisher 500 C receiver that will be fully restored from analog engineering Associates in California. Have a techniques SL-1210MK2 turntable with a Ortofon 2M Blue phono cartridge. Polk SDA-2 speakers.  My goal on audio circle is to get reeducated in my hobby, do tons of reading before asking questions.  My first goal is to find a good speaker match for the Fisher 500 C receiver.  I have a 19 by 12 foot room to work with.

Larry

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2017, 03:08 am »
Welcome Larry  :thumb:
This is a wonderful time enjoy;

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2017, 03:19 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Larry  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2017, 10:37 am »
Welcome!

I have a frugal friend who got into audio a few years ago after buying, restoring, and reselling a truck load of old speakers.  His room was similarly shaped to yours (but only accommodated a wide layout) and so settled for quite a while on a Fisher receiver and a string of SDAs as well.  A restored Fisher should serve you well.  What's the power rating?  The SDA's effect is more of an acquired taste, seemingly exaggerated by conventional standards.

You'll find in general that modern gear has a "tighter" more defined sound, along the lines of what we used to call a European flavor.  You missed the digital growing pains of the 80's/90's.  Tidal music service (CD quality real time downloading for $20/month, millions of albums available) is wonderful for those without a library.  Lots of inexpensive/quality digital sourcing available nowadays.  Have fun.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm »
Welcome to AC!