Hello from Central Oregon!

kenwood61

Hello from Central Oregon!
« on: 17 Jun 2017, 10:49 pm »
Like many on this forum (I assume), my audio adventure began back in the 70's, or as I like to think, one of the best decades of my life. You may think me crazy, but I say this for several reasons ... one being that special time of discovery in audio, the ability to walk into cool stereo shops and drool over gear I couldn't afford, music was more creative than it is now (for the most part), and it was a simpler time. It's amazing to think I was very happy and I didn't have a cell phone, computer, or any other device designed to give me what I want, when I want it. Funny that I enjoyed saving up money to go to Peaches to buy albums, and worked my butt off summers to save money for albums, tapes, and beer for lake parties.

What has been fun about my journey is that I can afford to own gear that was just a dream back then. I'm still enjoying the 70's and 80's as far as my gear is concerned, and am not afraid to do some DIY restoration on a few items. I am not intellectual as far as that goes, and one thing I really appreciate about the audio communities across forums, is a genuine willingness to help.

I'm looking forward to getting to know like-minded vintage hifi nuts, and see what new things are on the horizon. While I think I don't need to change my system right now, you all know it's just a matter of time ...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Central Oregon!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:00 pm »
Welcome Ken :thumb:
Yes the 70s were the days, best music, best girls, no shooters in the streets.

bluemeanies

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:26 pm »
Welcome Ken.
2nd that...best music. Loved going to TOWER records on South St in Philadelphia.
That was mention "no shooters" I can't remember songs being played that revolved around shooting people , raping woman and calling woman bitches like it was cool.
I was and still am a BIG Beatles fan.
Some of their music are like hymns.
I was also interested in jazz but mostly rock in those days.
Now my cranium has expanded to classical, R&B, my kind of rock and more jazz.

It's a great hobby we are fortunate to enjoy.
Again welcome

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:26 pm »
So you are  61 and using a Kenwood????  But welcome to the circle.  Pictures always welcome.

We  have on occasion gotten tighter to listen to tunes and brews.

Alan in the Willamette valley ,between the ducks and beavers.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:12 am »
Hello,  kenwood61.

How central is central Oregon? My home base is Corvallis, but fate has placed me in Vancouver, WA till the end of July. Alan and I get together for music, BS, and long drives to get togethers or speaker manufacturers.

Welcome to AC!

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:32 am »
Welcome!

kenwood61

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2017, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Tower Records. Forgot about them. I didn't go into one of those until I moved to the West coast in the late 80's. For me, Peaches was awesome, especially with the wood crates for records, and just thinking about how vinyl was marketed with special endcap displays ... oh yeah.

So first of all, my name is Matt. My first real system was built around a Kenwood KR-4070 that I bought at Pacific Stereo. Remember those days they would advertise bundled systems at different price points? Well, I don't remember how many times I went in to demo gear, but after mowing enough yards to save up (in high school), I went in and pulled the trigger on my whole system. I still have fond memories of it.

Kenwood KR-4070
JBL L40 (w/smoke acrylic stands)
Dual 504 w/AT95e
Pioneer CT-F8282

I really got into mixing tapes for dates and general cruising around. I was anal about it. My dad thought I'd become a recording engineer. Probably should have done that, but I went into advertising and design.

I'm 55, and a half. Born in 61. Not very creative for a username, but it's the same one I use across forums. I'm spending most of my time on Lenco Heaven as I'm building my first Lenco table. You can also find some of my builds on Audiokarma. My longest, craziest was my Sansui BA-3000 that I got from a retired vet who bought it and the matching CA-3000 in Germany. It took over a year to restore the BA, but the CA is still in a box waiting for me to have time and money to get to it.

I joked about not knowing when the next upgrade is, but to be honest, I'm content with the system I have now, which is ...

Main system:
Sansui TU-9900
Sansui CA-2000
Parasound HCA-1500 (two in mono)
Vandersteen 3A (originally 3's sent back to Vandersteen for "A" updates)
Nakamichi Dragon, rebuilt by Willy Hermann (used for recording and playing known high grade tape)
Nakamichi LX3, rebuilt by Perry Esposito (used for manuf'd tapes from Goodwill, Half Price Books, etc)
AR XA, rebuilt by Steve Frosten (modified with Rega RB250 + Dynavector 10x5, Linn Nirvana springs, and more)
NAD c521i (heavily modified with clock, regulators, and much more)

My master plan when I have more space, in the next house will use the Sansui BA-3000 matched with a mint set of Miller & Kreisel SB-1 satellites + V125 sub. The BA runs really warm, almost hot where it's sitting now. It needs more space, and after putting about $1800 (including purchase price) to upgrade that amp, I'm not willing to abuse it by not positioning it in a good spot. My office/music room is only 10x10, which is not big enough to really enjoy the Vandersteen's but I love those. I moved up from the 2C's and have no regrets.

I also have a Sony TC-777S-4J reel to reel from my Dad, that I need to go through. It's probably going to be one of the last projects on my current list ... simply because I don't feel like spending $$$ to buy new tape (yet), and of the recorded tapes from my Dad, I'm not sure how many I'll really want to listen to.

Being an equal opportunity audio guy, I enjoy 8 track as well. There is something about reminding me where I come from (musically) that 8 track brings to the party. Remember the Columbia House Record and Tape Club? I can remember the first group of tapes I got, with the Eagels Hotel California, Boston and more playing in an under dash Automatic deck in my Dad's '66 Impala.  I have a Pioneer HR-99 that sounds pretty good. I have all the electrolytic caps, belts, etc to restore that. The power supply caps went bad so I get a hum build up after a few seconds. So I pulled out of the system and it's on the shelf waiting. I must also comment on the quality of 8 tracks. Just like vinyl, some are better than others. For me, I find that some music, like Motown, sound perfect in context, on 8 track. Let's face it. Music was recorded in the day for the devices people had to listen with.

Most of my listening is Classic Rock. Here in Bend, Classic Rock 98.3 The Twins is my favorite station. Partly because the DJ's are around my age and they talk my lingo. I have a renewed interest in bands I never got into back in the day, and some that I wonder why I didn't know about, or why I didn't like them then.

I also like pop, jazz (60's - 80's smooth jazz), classical, blues, celtic ... and being from Texas, I like a very small few country bands like Clint Black, Randy Travis, and Willy. But I rarely listen to country these days.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, and I should be able to post pics at some point today. Gotta run now. Later!
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2017, 09:55 pm by kenwood61 »

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:00 pm »
Matt - Welcome to Audiocircle.  I think you will find that the folks here are very nice and helpful and non-political.  The moderators are excellent too.  Keeps the riff-raff at bay.

My favorites are also from the 70's because those were my formative years.  I try to keep an open mind to new music as well as many different genres.  My favorite genre depends on the time of day and my mood.  Curiously, first thing in the morning seems to be the best time for Stones and Led Zeppelin.....  :wink:

You must find the time to come out to hear my new Vapor Audio Nimbus speakers.  I now have SET Tube monoblocks and I am selling my ribbons.  Sold my modded JC-1's.  I have a small group that meets here every summer, mostly from Portland, but a couple of guys in Bend area.  They have been waiting for me to get these speakers.  I'll let you know when the meet is if you are interested.

Steve N.

kenwood61

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind offer. If I'm in town, I would definitely want to come out.

Syrah

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:49 pm »
Welcome!

That vintage stuff always gives me a visceral reaction.  I guess it's whatever we dreamed about when we were kids, that was beyond reach.  Some chase the dragon by going after the vintage Corvette.  I'd rather chase the Luxman.  Not for any logical reason.

You'll love it here.  It's full of brilliant and helpful people.

PS - I love Oregon Pinot Noir.  I'm not much of a US wine fan - I find there's too much overripe cooked jam and caramel notes in most of it.  But Oregon Pinot, love it!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2017, 12:58 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Matt   :thumb:  Sounds like you'll fit right in.  8)

kenwood61

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2017, 03:08 pm »
Thanks guys!