Hi there

Fink24

Hi there
« on: 17 Jun 2017, 12:32 pm »
Hi,
I am into audio for 5 years now. Started out with In-ears (from Westone), then to regular headphones and now (thanks to the HE-6 and its amplifier needs :) ) I started to get into speakers too :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Fink24.  :beer:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:01 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Fink24      :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:42 pm »
Welcome!

In-room listening is a whole another adventure and much more complex.  My advice would be to not proceed into the in-room route if you don't have the right room (size, shape, sonic isolation, availability).  Read Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction".  Most audiophiles make the mistake of fixating on gear, then over spending on the gear, and never getting optimal results because of a poor room situation (which is a great reason to go with in-ear/headphones). 

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:12 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot, Fink24.

I couldn't agree more with JLM's comments. With a room (speaker) based setup, you're not just listening to the gear, you're listening to the room. I wouldn't advise against a speaker-based system per se, just have your priorities straight, i.e. don't spend big bucks on cabling and 'tweaks' while disregarding significant acoustics or placement issues, which a glance through the galleries shows happens a lot more often than you'd think. Things like don't put a 15" sub in a small room or one without stiff walls. (You'll get a 'boom room'). (In that situation, a pair of mini monitors with limited bass extension may actually give more satisfactory sound than big floorstanders with lots of deep bass.) Plenty of good know-how around here on all these topics.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:30 pm »
Welcome!

Fink24

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:27 pm »
Yeah, I know that room accoustics can make or break a good speaker system. Since I have a small room I am currently running a pair of Focal Solo 6's (calibrated with Sonarworks) and have basic acoustic absorbers. It's good for regular listening and doing work on my PC, but it still needs work on the low end. For critical listening I still switch to headphones anyway.

Also thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely check it out.