OPPO connection to Velodyne HGS 10 question

henrylr

OPPO connection to Velodyne HGS 10 question
« on: 15 Jun 2017, 02:54 am »
Hi all,

My source is an OPPO BDP-95 which is 7.1 capable. My system is 2.1 and the OPPO FR and FL outputs are connected to a preamp that is connected to a two channel amp powering the front speakers. The OPPO has only one RCA output for SW. My Velodyne HGS 10 sub has two RCA inputs labeled left and right. What is the correct way to connect that one cable to the Velodyne?

Thanks,
henrylr

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: OPPO connection to Velodyne HGS 10 question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2017, 11:15 am »
Usually the left is designated as the LFE input. You should read up on your OPPO 95 manual to see what the SW output really entails, because it might be limited to a certain range of frequencies (probably under 200Hz). You can try either input but more importantly...

You want to do measurements in room with Room EQ Wizard (or similar) to better assimilate the sub to your mains. You can of course do it by ear, but I am the last person to do anything by ear especially for frequencies below 300 Hz. I am not the golden eared bass phile  :wink:

Read up on the Hifizine articles for subwoofer integration by a smart Ozzy known as Paul Spencer.

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-integration-guide-part-1/

Best,
Anand.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: OPPO connection to Velodyne HGS 10 question
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2017, 11:55 am »
Most subs are designed/marketed for home theater use, so confusion can come up when used in stereo (2.1) systems.

Undoubtedly the 7.1 outputs on the Oppo are meant to connect with an A/V preamp/receiver and so have no way of controlling subwoofer volume.  So not recommended for use in a 2.1 system.

So that leaves you connecting the sub via the preamp.  If the preamp has two pairs of variable (volume controlled) outputs one pair can run to the power amp and the other to the sub, easy-pleasy.  If the preamp only has one pair of outputs you can connect "Y" cables to the preamp output, with one set for the left and right inputs to the power amp and the other set to the sub. 

Note that if you want to save money on the cabling to the sub, you should be able to verify if one low level (RCA) input has been designated for a single channel input (either labeled on the sub or stated in the owner's manual).  If you do want to run a single cable to the sub, just use a "Y" cable to combine left and right channels from the preamp.

An alternative (if the sub has speaker cable inputs/outputs) is to run speaker cables from the power amp to the sub and then more speaker cables to the left/right speakers.  In this way the low frequency signals would be filtered away from the left/right speakers.