Bringing out the details??

charmerci

Re: Bringing out the details??
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jun 2017, 10:12 pm »
I'm sure my Cable+ works just fine. I simply did not hear an improvement when paired with my good sources, and felt that a plain passive interconnect was better. Better performance could be achieved if using a battery power supply for the Cable+.

When connected directly to a phone or my motherboard headphone jack, then the Cable+ did seem to make a difference.

Hmm, I've just got 'em so I will try to plug it into my usb port in the computer - as I don't have a battery source. Maybe it won't make a difference, we'll see.

marksas

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jun 2017, 09:08 pm »
All...thought I'd report back with an update.  So I picked up a restored/upgraded Krell KAV-300i integrated locally for a great price.  I love it.  Only about an hour into listening and so far I believe that this amp is perhaps bringing out more detail, or at the very least just sounds all around better.  The soundstage seems larger and there seems to be more overall clarity.  I'm surprised at the low end output as well, this thing plays with authority, in fact not sure I'm even going to use a sub with these SF's now.   Really what it comes down to I think is synergy, that's the best way I can describe it.  The Krell is definitely a good fit with the Sonus Fabers.
One caveat to this, I'm also using a different DAC.  With the Emotiva I was using the preamp's built in DAC, but since the Krell does not have one I'm using an Arcam irDAC, 1st gen. 

charmerci

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:38 pm »
Cool.

(PM sent.)

witchdoctor

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:55 pm »
Ok question about the capability of amps and what they can do to bring out more detail from the either the source material or speakers.  I recently had to make a change in speakers (WAF) and although i like them, they are definitely less ' forward' and are more say smoother and laid back than my previous ones.  They are also far less sensitive at 85 db versus 96 db previously, and are 6 ohm vs 8 previously.   I noticed last night in a listening session that I was missing some details in the music that i could hear before that i know are there.  Certain parts were more in the background than before, almost not discernible.

At the moment i'm using Emotiva's new BasX line of amp and preamp, the PT-100 pre and A-300 amp.  The A-300 is rated at 150w x ch @ 8ohms.  The speakers are Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 (on factory stands). 

So, the new speakers are here to stay (as per wife) so i'm wondering if the synergy i had before is not quite as good now or at least could be better with an amp than might be considered to be on the bright side and or more detailed? than the Emotiva?  The system as a whole sounds really nice, but I feel it could be a bit more detailed.  I should note that if were to consider a new or used amp (or integrated) than it would need to be $1k or less. 

Thanks

Before y6ou swit5ch amps t5ry6 t5he Herbie Circle and see what5 isolat5ion gear he recommends.

JakeJ

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:23 am »
Before y6ou swit5ch amps t5ry6 t5he Herbie Circle and see what5 isolat5ion gear he recommends.

I concur.  I have had excellent results with Herbie's products.

kbkaran

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2017, 06:11 am »
Looks like you are already on your way. Yes, a powerful amp as another poster mentions can bring out the details on a less sensitive speaker or a more powerful amplifier is always a welcome addition. You are also probably seeing the benefits of the DAC. You can improve there as well in future, keeping the Krell as a constant. Another suggestion is to use silver interconnects and speaker cables.