Open Aire Aktiv build thread

jimbones

Re: Open Aire Aktiv build thread
« Reply #40 on: 17 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm »
The servos are wired in series but they have to be wired out of phase also.

Good on the wiring I had it right. The only difference is if you physically place mine upside down Lol!

Captainhemo

« Reply #41 on: 18 Aug 2017, 04:24 pm »
Sounds like you've got it  all  worked out   but figured I'd say   this anyway....
to keep it as simple as possible I'd come in with the  drive leads  and connect  them in phase to the lower woofer driver coil. then parallel off those  and connect to the upper (reversed) woofer driver coil out of phase.
Then take the  positive servo lead from the amp and conect to the  lower   woofers servo coil +  terminal.  Take the  negative servo lead from the amp and connect it to the  upper woofers  servo coil + terminal.  Connect  the lower and upper  - servo terminals together.
Obviouisly other ways to do it but this would be the easiest

jay

jimbones

« Reply #42 on: 18 Aug 2017, 10:25 pm »
Thats exactly what I have  :thumb:

jimbones

« Reply #43 on: 20 Aug 2017, 03:49 am »
I turned on the a370peq amps and they had a loud oscillation. I immediately unplugged them. I wanted to disconnect the servo wires as a test. Can I do this without harming anything? trying to isolate the problem. thanks.

jimbones

« Reply #44 on: 20 Aug 2017, 10:40 pm »
more progress this weekend. Grills are done, the wiring done bu getting a loud buzz from the speakers. very confusing because I checked the wiring and it seems right.

Grill complete, top ready to accept drivers

Base and XO board completed. Ready to start populating

jimbones

« Reply #45 on: 20 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm »
We have lift off. It was wiring. Strangely enough I wired it according to a diagram provided in this forum. Go figure. I rewired it my way and i works. Duh :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 21 Aug 2017, 01:34 pm »
We have lift off. It was wiring. Strangely enough I wired it according to a diagram provided in this forum. Go figure. I rewired it my way and i works. Duh :scratch:

Send me a link to what you were looking at and let me have a look at it. If there is a diagram out there that is not right then I'd really like to correct it. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #47 on: 21 Aug 2017, 02:59 pm »

If you wired them  using one of the diagrams I provided   in the wiring thread,   they will work (your  drivers were the opposite of "normal"  so  of course you'd have to  make the necessary  polarity adjustments). You noted you  had them wired exactly as I posted above (reply 41), that  description is correct.  As  we talked about yesterday, if you ended up with a   loud "buzz",   you likely  had the  circuits crossed  in the  connectors

glad to hear  they are now working   :thumb:

jay

jay

jimbones

« Reply #48 on: 21 Aug 2017, 07:44 pm »
Yea, the circuits weren't crossed. It was the polarity on the servo circuits. Now to break them in. Thank you very much for your help Jay. I can't wait to get the toppers operational.

jimbones

« Reply #49 on: 26 Aug 2017, 02:13 pm »
General question for those that have built H Frames. I was planning on placing my toppers on the H frames. However I noticed there is a lot of vibration from the cabinet. Should I look at alternative means on placement? (Like stands for the toppers?)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:10 pm »
I use Herbie's Fat Dots between mine

Captainhemo

« Reply #51 on: 26 Aug 2017, 03:44 pm »
Yeah,  those woofers really load  those cabients even though they are open Did you line your cabinets with no-rez ? Until  I really  crank up the SPL, I can  place a looney on it's edge on top of an h-frame and it will sit like that  until  it's pretty  loud.
I don't remember how thick you  made the top plates but I've found that using 1"  as opposed to 1.25" - 1.5" makes them a  bit more suseptible to vibration, the no rez  does help.
I'm using some  Sorbathane  under a pair of MTM's right now, may give the Herbie's fat dots a try at some point

jay
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2017, 09:03 pm by Captainhemo »

jimbones

« Reply #52 on: 29 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm »
Still have to cut/install NoRez. Also my top plates are 1 inch.

jimbones

« Reply #53 on: 1 Sep 2017, 09:18 pm »
Updates this Labor Day Weekend!!

This is Rev 0 XO installed. I generally dont install the good stuff until values are finalized

I was inspired by MLundy and the way he beveled the NoRez so I did it as well. I believe it adds a nice touch.

Captainhemo

« Reply #54 on: 1 Sep 2017, 10:47 pm »
Nice, they look great  :beer:
Thank Peter for the  beveling idea

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 2 Sep 2017, 12:40 am »
Nice, they look great  :beer:
Thank Peter for the  beveling idea

jay

+1 I copied Peter  :thumb:

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #56 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:18 am »
+1 I copied Peter  :thumb:

Mike

I'm really mad at Peter because he didn't come up with the idea until AFTER I installed my no res in my Super V's :evil:

Just kidding Peter, it really IS a nice touch :thumb:

jimbones

« Reply #57 on: 2 Sep 2017, 02:22 pm »
Ok so I fired the babies up and did a bit of listening and measuring. Tweeter is padded a bit too much, easy fix but the harder issue is I have a dip in the Fr at about 170 hz. So here is my set up

ModWright LS100 preamp main outputs have a cap installed to limit bass (approx 80 hz). This goes to my KWA 100SE No active crossover for the top.
Second pair of output (full output) from the preamp goes to the Rythmik A370 bass amp.

I measured the midrange only w/o xo and it goes nicely down to its designed cutoff at 200hz.
I measured the H Frame woofers and I cant get them to go any higher than 150. Hence the gap.

Danny previously mentioned that the woofers-amp combo go up to about 300 hz so I figured I was good. What am I doing wrong?

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 2 Sep 2017, 03:48 pm »
You may need to work with the phase control to get them to sum at the crossover point and create a flat response.

Make sure the amp controls for the low pass are in the EXT/12 position.

You can also work with the gain control to increase overall output (thus increasing the crossover point) and see where that gets you.

Be sure you are measuring only one side at a time. If you try to measure both channels at the same time then you will get a cancellation and peak somewhere.

Try different measuring distances to see if it room related.

If you can post the measurements of the woofers, the upper, and the sum of the two.

Captainhemo

« Reply #59 on: 2 Sep 2017, 03:51 pm »
A370 set to AVR/EXT (12db/oct) slope ?  Maybe a bit of room null ?