192kHz connection vs. better quality 96kHz connection

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
I have a NAD D 3020 connected to a Bryston Pi BDP via coaxial digital cable. This will process a 192kHz signal. But I just came across the NAD Stereophile review, where John Atkinson says, based on his measurements, that the USB connection is to be preferred, (something to do with jitter).  However, the USB connection only goes up to 92kHz.

I only have a handful of stuff that is 192kHz, but nevertheless like the idea of the 192kHz connection; however, most of my listening is not 192kHz, so what would you do? Leave things the way they are or change to a USB connection between NAD and Bryston?

srb

Re: 192kHz connection vs. better quality 96kHz connection
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2017, 12:33 am »
I would likely go with or at least try the USB connection, and with only a small number of 192kHz files, I wouldn't worry about the 96kHz limitation.

NAD says the "Asynchronous USB 24 bit/96 kHz input assures lowest jitter for best musical performance" and Bryston says "USB offers very high sound quality (perhaps even superior to S/PDIF) when coupled with asynchronous USB DACs" (which the D3020 is).

I don't know if the BDP-π will output both USB and S/PDIF simultaneously which would make quick comparison with the NAD input selector (or even if it does, if the player would stop and need to be put into play mode again?).

But even if you have to rely on aural memory for comparison, you can probably still make a determination comparing your favorite familiar well-recorded tracks.  If you are able to detect a difference, I'm betting on USB.

Steve

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
Re: 192kHz connection vs. better quality 96kHz connection
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2017, 10:49 pm »
Thanks, I went ahead and switched to USB. I didn't bother to A/B since both the manual and Stereophile say it is the way to go. After initially getting no sound I did have to change a setting in the Bryston to reflect NAD USB Audio. It all sounds great now.