If it's free it's for me. Need help choosing speakers for free receiver

DSkip

• Industry Participant
My thought is to pair it with something that is an easy 8 ohm load and has a warm tone to it.  I had mine pushing a pair of Polk Monitor 10 and it sounded great for what it was.

amb3cog

That was my thinking too. I don't want to go under 8ohm with it. And I am leaning towards a warmer sound too. Just not sure without hearing how I'll get that. I think I saw some monitor 10's somewhere yesterday. I'll try to find them again.

Thank you

amb3cog

Scratch that. It was a Monitor 70 I think. Newer then the 10.

I'm gonna go to a local vintage store when I can find the time, and see what they have in. Might be my best bet. They have a 90 day warranty. Do trade ins. Work on the stuff. And basically are just really good guys. It's called Stereo Discount Center. In East Providence RI which is where they made Avid speakers actually. In case anyone is in the area, and didn't know.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Scratch that. It was a Monitor 70 I think. Newer then the 10.

I'm gonna go to a local vintage store when I can find the time, and see what they have in. Might be my best bet. They have a 90 day warranty. Do trade ins. Work on the stuff. And basically are just really good guys. It's called Stereo Discount Center. In East Providence RI which is where they made Avid speakers actually. In case anyone is in the area, and didn't know.

I would avoid the Monitor 70 on that receiver.  Those are entry level speakers but require some good power behind them to wake up.

amb3cog

Thanks. I was concerned about this type of thing. I know from car audio. That it's better to have 80 watt speakers on a 100 watt amp usually. And also don't get too sensitive speakers if the rest of your gear, and/or source qualify won't match up. Garbage in garbage out theory.

It's another reason. I'm leading towards some vintage speakers that aren't too fancy. I love that sound anyway. The place I mentioned isn't the cheapest. But they go through the gear, and make sure it's all in good working order, before they sell. And if I don't like it. They'll let me trade it for something I do like. And if I drop $275, and come back for something else. But the only thing they have close to it is $300. They won't charge extra.

So I'm thinking that in the end. I'll get a better deal. Spend a few more dollars initially, but might save me money and possibly a huge hassle in the end. Versus buying used from someone. Where if I don't like them, or have a problem. It's on me.

Now I just have to find the time to get there. They're closed on Sunday, and that's my one day off.         :(

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Honestly, check out the Pioneer BS22 bookshelf speakers or the Polk Audio T50 towers.  The T50 are designed by their new staff and they hit the nail on the head.  It is a two-way speaker with two passive radiators below the midrange driver.  It is an excellent speaker for the price and it often goes on sale.  Because of the passive radiator design, they are able to be positioned easily into a room without any real issues. 

The T50 are impressive and definitely compete with Andrew Jones' recent offerings in the budget realm, but they don't get talked about because of a lack of marketing.

soundbitten1

Honestly, check out the Pioneer BS22 bookshelf speakers or the Polk Audio T50 towers.  The T50 are designed by their new staff and they hit the nail on the head.  It is a two-way speaker with two passive radiators below the midrange driver.  It is an excellent speaker for the price and it often goes on sale.  Because of the passive radiator design, they are able to be positioned easily into a room without any real issues. 

The T50 are impressive and definitely compete with Andrew Jones' recent offerings in the budget realm, but they don't get talked about because of a lack of marketing.

Best Buy has 'em on sale for $74.99 each at the moment.

amb3cog

Funny you'd say that. The T50 was one of the first newer ones I looked at. Was gonna ask opinions, but I started doing something else and forgot. My brain ain't right. LOL

They seem to be too cheap really though. I doubt they sound that good for that price. But what do I know? What about Bic speakers? They get decent reviews. I worry the same with them though.

I guess I'm thinking like spend the smallest amount now, and upgrade later. But that means at least $100 new. That's money I could spend on better speakers. So I think even though I didn't want to do it now. I should just go ahead, and get some nice vintage jobs for like $250-$500 or so. Then later if the vintage guy gets in something I like for more money. I can trade up.

I was there when he did this with a guy, and he wasn't shy giving him a lot for his old stuff in trade. So it just seems like a better investment to go this way in the end. I'll just put the car system on the back burner for a little bit. I have a working stereo in my car. Just doing an upgrade anyway. Screw it.

Just need to find the right pair for the small space I have. Whatever way I go. That's another issue. Either way,  even though I want tunes now. I need to be somewhat patient, and do it right. I hate regrets, and I always get a better deal when I wait.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
I've got speakers ranging from $300 a pair to $20,000 a pair and about a dozen in between.  The T50 is a GREAT speaker for the money and scales well with upgrades.  It will never be an end-game speaker, but it can keep you happy for years until you have more money to invest.  Vintage is a safer bet usually for resale, but those old crossovers need work sometimes and having a driver go out on you can cost you a lot of time and money in some cases.

The T50 is one I could live with if life took a downturn.  It impressed many audiophiles at my house a few years ago and that pair now resides at my father's place.

One important note is that if you plan on using these in a carpeted space, I would make a wood plinth for them to sit on. They don't have spikes and the plinth will help with their footing and their sound.  Don't waste time spiking them due to their lightweight stature.

amb3cog

I dunno I saw a couple of people trash them, but like hundreds of others say they're great. Just hard to believe at that price. They'd be the cheapest floor standing speaker I've ever bought new. And I haven't bought a pair since the early to mid 90's. And those were half off (JBL's). But I guess with the slave wages in China.  :o

Yea I guess it would be a good way to go. I could just have them sent right to my house too. $150 and be done with it. I already have a big spool of 16 gauge I think it is. And a 1/8 to RCA for my phone or laptop to hook up. Can always get better stuff later.

My only thing is. Knowing I'm gonna upgrade at some point anyway. Why not get something better now since I'm spending the money at some point anyway, and vintage will keep value. I always try to be smart with money. To me that seems smarter.

But they do seem really nice. How does drums, and vocals do on them? I always love vocals, but when I crank it. I LOVE a nice drum sound. That's why I'm upgrading my car. It's just not right. Pretty close, but not nearly there yet. I can never get what I want in my house without bothering people, but in my car I can jam out.

dB Cooper

I agree with others, find some decent bookshelf speakers off craigslist or something for cheap. No need to try and reinvent the wheel only to be disappointed.
Excellent suggestion IMHO. Some of the smaller Polk bookshelves punch well above their size/price and are plentiful (which helps the price) on the used market. Look for one of the RtiA series, there's 5" & 6.5" woofer models. Not window rattlers but good representation of the bass spectrum at reasonable SPL's in a reasonably sized room. Add sub(s) later if you want more 'slam'. The RTiA3 (6.5" model) is currently listed at $279 a pair on the Polk website, marked down from $399/pr (new model coming?) and probably half that used, but at that price you get a five year warranty which you won't have on a used one.

srb

Some of the smaller Polk bookshelves punch well above their size/price and are plentiful (which helps the price) on the used market. Look for one of the RtiA series, there's 5" & 6.5" woofer models.

I like floorstanders, but when comparing the bookshelf version and the floorstanding version of a budget model line, I often prefer the sound of the bookshelf model as the sound of the floorstanding version is often colored from the box resonance of inexpensive poorly braced construction.

Steve

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Excellent suggestion IMHO. Some of the smaller Polk bookshelves punch well above their size/price and are plentiful (which helps the price) on the used market. Look for one of the RtiA series, there's 5" & 6.5" woofer models. Not window rattlers but good representation of the bass spectrum at reasonable SPL's in a reasonably sized room. Add sub(s) later if you want more 'slam'. The RTiA3 (6.5" model) is currently listed at $279 a pair on the Polk website, marked down from $399/pr (new model coming?) and probably half that used, but at that price you get a five year warranty which you won't have on a used one.

With an entry level receiver, I'd advise against the RTiA lineup.  They are a better series than the T series, but not budget speakers even at $279 a pair.  For that price, if he were to stay in the budget realm, the Signature Series, S20 bookshelf speaker would be a better fit.  The T50 is not one to push hard with deep bass and if you are looking for that, perhaps its not a good fit.

I think you should go with your gut and find some vintage gear if you are OK with the risk.  I tend to not buy anything vintage anymore unless I budget for overhauls or repairs. 

Slam

Just keep looking at thrift stores and yard sales. It will take longer but sooner or later you will find some decent speakers for cheap. Also craigslist is a great source.

amb3cog

I heard other people say that at the low price level. Get the bookshelf, not the tower. Now I know why. Part of the reason I want to go vintage. Is the new cabinets. Someone was parting out one on Ebay, and I was very unimpressed with it to say the least.

I'm actually surprised to hear people saying Polk. I've seen others say they've gone downhill. I've always liked their stuff though. I have a 12" vented sub from them (DB 1212), and it sounds way better then the price I paid ($140 amazon warehouse) on 450 watts. And it shakes my car. It's getting upgraded soon, but really even for a SQ system. It's pretty damn good.

That being said though. I heard some of their stuff at Best Buy. One was like American HiFi or something. Like a reference series. Along with a lower model, and some Sony ones too and the cheaper Polk were the best. But they all sounded horrible after listening to vintage stuff at the place I mentioned on the same day.

But to be fair. This was new stuff on one of those displays where you press the buttons and they play a little clip. And vintage was an all vintage setup playing vinyl. But it was a night and day difference. Even my female friend who's pretty clueless asked me why the old stuff sounded so much better. She was pretty shocked. She had a blast at the vintage place, and couldn't get me out of Best Buy fast enough.

To me that says it all. I know there's nice new gear. But I haven't heard any. And there's nowhere near me to listen to any really. Not anymore. At the vintage place. I can listen to what I'm buying. So I'm gonna take a ride up there. Hopefully today. We'll see though. I have to work at 4pm.

amb3cog

That's the ones the Signature series. Horrible! LOL

DSkip

• Industry Participant
That's the ones the Signature series. Horrible! LOL

Why do you say that?  I've got the full line in house and they are very good for the money.  If you heard them at Best Buy, that isn't a fair demo.  I use the S60 on my system downstairs for movies and it is very impressive for a $900 pair of towers.

Avoid the T15.  The T15 is an older design and probably one of the worst speakers Polk has made honestly.  They sell a lot of them because of the price, not because of the sound.  The T50 was designed years later with their target being the AJ Pioneer line.  They successfully bested those Pioneers IMO.

amb3cog

I did preface my comment about the best buy display. If you read my comment further back. I want implying they were horrible. I just said they sounded horrible at Best Buy.

That being said. How can I go from hearing them, and not liking them to spending a bunch of money on them. Not gonna happen. If I can't hear a sound I like. I'm gonna have trouble parting with my money.

Now I realize this works both ways. But that's how I've always bought home audio speakers in the past. So I'm sticking with that.

I'm sure they are nice. I mean they look great, and Polk is a good company. Just wish I could actually hear them in the right environment. They might really impress me. Either way I certainly didn't mean to offend. And I'm very glad you're happy with them. I want to be that guy soon. :)

DSkip

• Industry Participant
I'm definitely not saying buy them off my opinion and I must have missed the BB demo comment earlier.  My apologies.

If you lived in the Dallas area, I could provide you a proper demo of them, but that's not really a choice.  At any rate, I've provided my opinions and will let others inject theirs. 

I will throw out some things that stand out to me on your local-ish craigslist though:

https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/6144739333.html - great speaker, check tweeters.  If they blow, you'll never replace them.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/6152767976.html - I know nothing of them, but I have seen them before and they intrigue me.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/6085945104.html - respectable but not a BIG sound given their size.

There are also quite a bit of Advent listed but I'm not up to snuff on what their good stuff is.