Sgt. Pepper's Anniversary Edition - GO OUT AND GET THIS!!!!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
If you're a Beatles fan I have one piece of unequivocal advice - run, do not walk, and go buy the Anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that was just released (late May 2017). There are remastered albums and then there's this one. What an absolutely glorious remastering job. Everything just comes alive with amazing clarity, dynamics and artful mixing. Yes, I have the whole remastered collection from 2009. But this? THIS? So!  Damn! Good!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sgt. Pepper's Anniversary Edition - GO OUT AND GET THIS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2017, 08:39 pm »
Thanks for the heads up I will checkout.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2017, 09:28 pm »
Thanks Morten - I just ordered the single CD off Amazon - 13.99 for Tuesday delivery with Amazon Prime

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 10:08 pm »
... also on Tidal today too for those who either aren't convinced or can't wait.

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 10:14 pm »
Substantially more compressed than the 2009 release, although I haven't seen the DR database numbers.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 10:27 pm »
Substantially more compressed than the 2009 release, although I haven't seen the DR database numbers.

I noticed that when I compared both editions. Still enjoy the 50th anniversary mix way more than the 2009 on this specific album. And on the plus side at least now everyone has something to quibble over.  :green:

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 10:52 pm »
Tortuga, did you get the vinyl or cd?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 10:56 pm »
Tortuga, did you get the vinyl or cd?

CD.  I think both vinyl and blu ray are also available.

rbbert

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2017, 12:42 am »
More irritating than anything for me;  it didn't need to be so compressed, that really detracts from the positive aspects of the remix.

It is in the DR database now, far more compressed than previous releases.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2017, 01:55 am »
When I listened to the '09 remaster, I was amazed at how bad the sound was- it sounded like the instruments were set up inside one end of 3 separate large sewer pipes and they put mics at the other ends. I hadn't played it in years but didn't remember it sounding that bad. George Martin seemed to have used every tool available in 1967 to overproduce an album, and all were revealed with ruthless clarity by the remastering job. Based on that experience, I'd have to hear this version before considering it. I guess I could buy one from somebody on amazon doing a rip-n'-ship, but I'd still have to hear it first.

P.S., I note JPM's mentioning that Tidal has it, so I'll give it a shot. Now what did I do with that lava lamp and blacklight?

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2017, 02:05 am »

I noticed that when I compared both editions. Still enjoy the 50th anniversary mix way more than the 2009 on this specific album.

As us Baby Boomers start dying off Apple Corps will have to start releasing remixes sooner than every 8 years. Sheesh, at the current rate the uncompressed Sgt. Pepper release will come with a free digital hearing aid.

davek

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2017, 02:35 am »
Anyone know if this will be available as a hi res download?
Was hoping they would offer at least the resolution of the USB stick (24/44.1)
release, I found the sound quality superior to the CD box set of the same vintage.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2017, 12:31 pm »
More irritating than anything for me;  it didn't need to be so compressed, that really detracts from the positive aspects of the remix.

It is in the DR database now, far more compressed than previous releases.
The most uncompressed vinyl released in CD I have see is the original release from VDGG in the 90s, its sound quite different from any usual prog rock I own, the soundstage is larger than usual and the low level details are much more easy to listen.

In the second release from this band they compressed it all and the sound become similat to FM radio as all others usual CD releases on the market.

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2017, 02:06 pm »
I have the 2 LP vinyl arriving Wednesday, very excited.   

Mike B.

« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2017, 06:25 pm »
I ordered the CD. I used Amazon. I have Prime and was able to listen to a good part of the album abate on my small Audioengine 3+ speakers. Nice change in the mix. I noticed right away the centering of Paul's voice on the first track. I actually bought the album when it  first came out, so I have that reference.

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2017, 12:00 am »
I listened to the new remix on Tidal today, excellent. I can't see laying out $100 for the box set. I like it sas a Blu-Ray 5.1 mix in Dolby Atmos though.

bluemeanies

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2017, 03:38 am »
Anniversary edition On TIDAL?
Under what identification?

Thanks...
Still thinking of purchasing the disc or vinyl....mono or stereo is the question.

firedog

« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2017, 05:57 am »
sgt pepper's 5Oth anniversary

The CD and DVD sound very good, but have volume compression added. Not brickwall volume compression, but noticeable. The stereo 2017 mix LP doesn't. Might be a good reason to get the LP.

craig sawyers

« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2017, 07:00 am »
Tidal lists it under

THE BEATLES / SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (DELUXE EDITION)

Craig