Enclosure for DIY Hypex Ncore build

al2002

Enclosure for DIY Hypex Ncore build
« on: 25 May 2017, 10:06 pm »
Just wondering what DIYers on this forum are using for power amp enclosures?

I am embarking on a DIY NCore build and am in the market for an enclosure that will hold 4 modules with  switch mode supplies to power a 2.2 system.  Hammond's industrial enclosures are an obvious choice, but I am looking for something with greater WAF.  Recommendations are be welcomed. Prefer US based suppliers as shipping from overseas can be very expensive, but am open to all suggestions.

Not sure if this is the correct circle to post, but the Ncore circle appears to be closed now.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Enclosure for DIY Hypex Ncore build
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2017, 11:02 pm »
There are a few, but for reasonable price and quality, try Modushop which is distributed in the US by Diyaudio:

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis

Ghent audio also makes chassis specific for NCORE modules:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/index.html

Landfall systems: http://www.landfallsystems.com/?content=products/main

Numerous others like Lansing, Par-Metal, EBay, Takachi, etc...

Best,
Anand.

al2002

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2017, 12:23 am »
Thanks Anand.

I want a single enclosure to house all 4 channels so the Ghents are out, otherwise they would have been an obvious choice.  Good to know that Modushop have a US importer - will email them. The Landfalls  are just trays, good for valve amps but not quite suitable for the Ncore.

I like the Takachi HY series but have been unable to find a US supplier. Do you know of one?

lowtech

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 01:43 am »
I have four channels of ncore (and power supply) in these enclosures.  They weren't terribly expensive and are well made.  Search ebay for "B3209A".

al2002

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 02:23 am »
Thanks for the suggestion lowtech.

I had a look. Very tempting.  Just wondering if all four. amp modules could fit in one enclosure?

One of the problems I have had with inexpensive enclosures is lack of torsional rigidity. Is your enclosure adequately rigid?

BTW, how did you engrave the front panel?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 02:25 am »
You might enjoy browsing through the old Hypex Owners Circle. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=197.0

al2002

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 02:51 am »
Hi jtwrace.
Yes I've seen the Hypex Circle. Shame it is no longer active.  Anyone know why?

lowtech

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 03:04 am »
They are much more sturdy than the Par-Metal enclosures I've used in the past.  You can probably find them in different sizes to suit your needs.  Front Panel Express will engrave any SVG image you supply (in fact, I think they now do multi-color laser printing).

p.s. You might try seeing what you can find at DIYAudio if you haven't already.  The crowd over there tends to be more tech-savvy.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 08:21 am »
Thanks Anand.

I want a single enclosure to house all 4 channels so the Ghents are out, otherwise they would have been an obvious choice.  Good to know that Modushop have a US importer - will email them. The Landfalls  are just trays, good for valve amps but not quite suitable for the Ncore.

I like the Takachi HY series but have been unable to find a US supplier. Do you know of one?

Al2002,

Lowtech is right, diyaudio is more of a technically savvy forum, you should get more responses there. Takachi does not have a US distributor, their enclosures are very pretty and sturdy, used by numerous high end manufacturers. For me, since the NCORE units have their own integral heatsinking, I would use the Slimline series from Diyaudio/Modushop which have countersinked screws for a clean look appropriately sized for my (4) modules and be done. You can do all the engraving/laser you want with Front Panel Express. It's not rocket science, but it's fun for some of us  :wink: At least with enclosures, if you throw money at it, you'll get a nice looking solution!

Best,
Anand.

al2002

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2017, 01:41 pm »
Yes, have been over on diyaudio.com. Agree that there are more techies there. Thought I'd ask about enclosures here, which was not a tech question.

I take it then that the B3209A case is not really large enough to accommodate four channels.

They are much more sturdy than the Par-Metal enclosures I've used in the past.  You can probably find them in different sizes to suit your needs.  Front Panel Express will engrave any SVG image you supply (in fact, I think they now do multi-color laser printing).

p.s. You might try seeing what you can find at DIYAudio if you haven't already.  The crowd over there tends to be more tech-savvy.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2017, 01:55 pm »
I take it then that the B3209A case is not really large enough to accommodate four channels.

Perhaps you can tell us? Here is the link: http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=321726033241&category=61395&pm=1&ds=0&t=1495806760144

Best,
Anand.

al2002

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2017, 02:01 pm »
 Worst case 4 channels can dissipate well over 100W, so I would not be comfortable using the case itself as a heat sink.

Last thing I want to do is throw money at a case or faceplate.  Looking at the numbers the final build cost will be  more than the shipped price of a ready-made Nord amp of similar performance! That, however, is a discussion for another time. :D.

Al2002,

Lowtech is right, diyaudio is more of a technically savvy forum, you should get more responses there. Takachi does not have a US distributor, their enclosures are very pretty and sturdy, used by numerous high end manufacturers. For me, since the NCORE units have their own integral heatsinking, I would use the Slimline series from Diyaudio/Modushop which have countersinked screws for a clean look appropriately sized for my (4) modules and be done. You can do all the engraving/laser you want with Front Panel Express. It's not rocket science, but it's fun for some of us  :wink: At least with enclosures, if you throw money at it, you'll get a nice looking solution!

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 05:16 pm by al2002 »

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2017, 03:05 pm »
I think the round NC400 modules are too tall to mount directly to the heat-sinks of that chassis.

Dave.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2017, 03:11 pm »
Hi jtwrace.
Yes I've seen the Hypex Circle. Shame it is no longer active.  Anyone know why?
I ran out of bandwidth is what happened. 

al2002

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2017, 05:28 pm »
Yes, the  NC 400s are 88mm diameter while the internal height is specified as 82 mm. Perhaps feasible by using spacers for either the top or bottom cover.

A 3U height enclosure would be just about right.

I think the round NC400 modules are too tall to mount directly to the heat-sinks of that chassis.

Dave.

lowtech

« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2017, 06:15 pm »
Think out of the box or just find a larger enclosure.

al2002

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2017, 06:22 pm »
Lowtech I was just responding to Davey's post. Yes, of course a larger enclosure is required.

lowtech

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2017, 06:27 pm »
If you are not willing to think out of the box, I agree.  (I think that's what I said.)

al2002

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2017, 06:30 pm »
We are in violent agreement.  :).

al2002

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2017, 06:50 pm »
Seriously,  in a class AB amp build I have used angle bracket mounted power MOSFETS attached to heat sinks  and was not happy with the heat transfer.