largest speaker for desktop

guf

largest speaker for desktop
« on: 13 May 2017, 06:46 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop system. My desk is 5 feet wide but 2 27 inch monitors. I'm considering going to one monitor to allow for a larger speaker. Would the extreme near field of sitting at a desk not benefit from a larger higher quality speaker. Thoughts?

witchdoctor

Re: largest speaker for desktop
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2017, 06:54 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop system. My desk is 5 feet wide but 2 27 inch monitors. I'm considering going to one monitor to allow for a larger speaker. Would the extreme near field of sitting at a desk not benefit from a larger higher quality speaker. Thoughts?

I think higher quality speakers can be either larger or smaller than what you are using, explore then decide. What about auditioning these?

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3desktop.html

guf

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2017, 07:15 pm »
I think higher quality speakers can be either larger or smaller than what you are using, explore then decide. What about auditioning these?

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super3desktop.html

Yeah those are the obvious choice. I'm considering something higher up in the line if they would work.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2017, 07:34 pm »
Yeah is the obvious choice. I'm considering something higher up in the line if it would work.

These Isoacoustic stands made a big difference for my setup and experimenting with speaker cables that are availble for risk free auditions never hurt:

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2017, 07:57 pm »
Yeah those are the obvious choice. I'm considering something higher up in the line if they would work.

"Higher up in the " for Omega is largely application-dependent.  The Super 3 Desktop uses the same driver as all other speakers in the 3 series.  The 7 series is not really a step up, but rather a step sideways with a number of tradeoffs.  The Alnico series is the top range, but the only model that would work in your application may be the Compact Alnico Monitor (CAM) but at 12" wide a pair of them and your monitor will take up the entire desktop.  For my money I would go with the Super 3 Desktop and add an Omega Subwoofer and a nice amp.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2017, 08:24 pm »
Check out audiostream.com, lots of good recommendations but I believe all of them are active/powered, which works out really well to save desktop space when coupled with a DAC/preamp.  Note I own Dynaudio BM5 Mk III's which are one model up from the professional version of Dynaudio X14A, their favorite monitor but I've only used them in-room.

Recommend use of IsoAcoustics stands to provide proper height/tilt, help isolate vibrations, and reduce bass reinforcement/echo from the near proximity of the desktop.

Being so near-field you should avoid deep bass response, F3 of 40 Hz is pushing it, 50 Hz is plenty, 60 Hz is enough.

Physical size is a personal decision.  Years ago I freaked out the first time I saw a 21 inch monitor on a desktop, now it's common place.  So I suppose you could get used to large monitors.  But professionals consider 3-ways as mid-field monitors and many prefer the 5 inch woofer version compared to the 8 inch version of the same monitor. 

If you are interested in active monitors check out soundonsound.com.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2017, 08:42 pm »
I think the OP is asking about Omega speakers (this is their circle). 
« Last Edit: 13 May 2017, 09:49 pm by opnly bafld »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2017, 10:44 am »
I think the OP is asking about Omega speakers (this is their circle).

Yeah, just trying to add advice with perspective. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2017, 03:20 pm »
Yeah, just trying to add advice with perspective.

:duh: :duh: :duh: