Omega Floorstanders Isolation Devices

nature boy

Omega Floorstanders Isolation Devices
« on: 13 May 2017, 10:47 am »
Just curious to see if anyone is using isolation devices, other than Louis's supplied spikes, under their Omega floor-standing speakers. 

I have floor-to-floor carpeting w/ padding over a concrete basenent floor in my listening room.  Speakers sound excellent, but the tweaker in me wants to know if even better sound is possible. 

Cheers,

NB

syzygy

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Omega Floorstanders Isolation Devices
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2017, 01:55 pm »
Check out IsoAcoustics

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2017, 02:21 pm »
Dave,

The new GAIA III isolation feet or their stands?  Seems like the stands would raise the drivers up well beyond my ear level.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2017, 02:30 pm »
I'm with Dave on this one.  I use Isoacoustics in a number of different scenarios (under my desktop speakers, part of stands for my Altec two-ways, and as a "booster seat" to mount Super 3U's on my 20" SAM Skylan stands).  Most of them are adjustable for height and angle.  Isoacoustics also makes new "Gaia" series isolators that thread into speaker stands or floorstanders.  However, these are $600 (!) for a full set of 8.

Another option is Herbie's threaded stud gliders.  However, the Giants Threaded Stud Gliders will be about $300 for a set of 8.

You are spiked to a concrete floor.  I can think of a number of other areas in which $300-600 can be better spent tweaking my system.  Cables, tubes, power cords, and maybe a nicer equipment stand could all make a more significant difference for the money.

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2017, 02:54 pm »
Thanks Dave and Roscoe,

I used the IsoAcoustics product finder and looks like the ISO L8R200 stands will work best with the Super Alnico HO XRS speakers I have.  Roscoe, thanks for the suggestions on other tweaking options.  While I have stocked up well on tubes, I think that a couple pair of Dave's IC's (D3 or D4) for my system will be first in line for my next system outlay.  His new Furutech PC and SMSG speaker cables have done remarkable things for my system sound.

NB

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2017, 02:56 pm »
All IsoAcoustics products work the same way, Gaia look nice but the stands are probably going to be cheaper.

The downside is they take up vertical space, they aren't low profile but the Gaia seem lower vs the stands and there are some new "pucks" last time I looked on their website.

NB, glad to hear the PC is working out!  :)

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2017, 03:34 pm »
Thanks Dave and Roscoe,

I used the IsoAcoustics product finder and looks like the ISO L8R200 stands will work best with the Super Alnico HO XRS speakers I have.  Roscoe, thanks for the suggestions on other tweaking options.  While I have stocked up well on tubes, I think that a couple pair of Dave's IC's (D3 or D4) for my system will be first in line for my next system outlay.  His new Furutech PC and SMSG speaker cables have done remarkable things for my system sound.

NB

I have a pair of the ISO L8R200 stands.  They come in two versions:  the regular model and the subwoofer model.  The subwoofer model is cheaper and heavier duty, but it does not offer the adjustability of the regular model.

Your Super 3 HO XRS speakers are 35" tall.  This compares with the Super 3 HO Monitor + 24" stand total height of 40".  Logically, you have 5" to play with.  At their lowest setting, the Isoacoustics are 4.75" tall (by my own measurements).  What I would do is buy a pair of the ISO L8R200 Sub stands and place them on a thin (1/4") floor tile laying on the carpet to offer a stable surface.  This will perfectly match the total recommended height of most Omega speakers.

A pair of ISO L8R200 SUB's will be $120 from Ebay shipped and a pair of 18" tiles from Home Depot should be less than $20.

Another alternative is the Auralex Subdude II isolation platforms.  It is 15" x 15" x 1.75" and you can use it directly on the carpet with your current speaker sipkes still attached to the speakers.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2017, 04:01 pm »
I'm with Dave on this one.  I use Isoacoustics in a number of different scenarios (under my desktop speakers, part of stands for my Altec two-ways, and as a "booster seat" to mount Super 3U's on my 20" SAM Skylan stands).  Most of them are adjustable for height and angle.  Isoacoustics also makes new "Gaia" series isolators that thread into speaker stands or floorstanders.  However, these are $600 (!) for a full set of 8.

Another option is Herbie's threaded stud gliders.  However, the Giants Threaded Stud Gliders will be about $300 for a set of 8.

You are spiked to a concrete floor.  I can think of a number of other areas in which $300-600 can be better spent tweaking my system.  Cables, tubes, power cords, and maybe a nicer equipment stand could all make a more significant difference for the money.

I have to agree with Roscoe's final statement in that $300-600 can be better spent in other areas. My Omegas sound just fine spiked thru carpet onto a concrete floor.  I would accept that as a baseline and tune from there with multiple options including room treatments, cabling, equipment footers, tube rolling, etc.

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2017, 04:30 pm »
Thanks Mick, sounds like a good plan.

NB

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2017, 04:41 pm »

I have to agree with Roscoe's final statement in that $300-600 can be better spent in other areas. My Omegas sound just fine spiked thru carpet onto a concrete floor.  I would accept that as a baseline and tune from there with multiple options including room treatments, cabling, equipment footers, tube rolling, etc.

I agree with Mick.  Take that $300 you may have spent on isolation from the floor and spend it on room treatments.  You will get far more benefit.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2017, 04:52 pm »
A customer of mine who has Super Alnico HO towers put an MDF plate (slightly larger than the speaker dimension) under his by attaching it to the bottom of the speaker using the spike inserts on the bottom of the speaker, then used Reference 3A spikes under the plates.  I forwarded the information with pictures on to Louis, so if anyone is interested, they can contact him.

My customer's words:

"Hi Rob,

Put the base plates on the Omega 1.5's today....... I cannot believe the improvement!  Pic attached.  I suspect some of it is dealing with my floor. 

The sound is totally released from the speakers, they don't exist physically.  Base is deeper and more controlled.  Clarity, placement and delineation greatly improved and in a darker background.  The presentation is so much more real and truthful; Instruments are more complete and natural, vocals so much more human.

I'm listening to a $6,000 speaker now...  Louis should offer plates with adjustable spikes as an upgrade.

Regards,

Bob"

mrvco

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2017, 05:17 pm »
My Super7s lean back by design.  I already feel like I need to sit fully upright (not uncomfortably so, just no slouching) in my listening chair for full effect.  I'm using the standard brass floor protectors underneath the spikes now.  Would raising the Super7s and/or reducing or elimating the tilt work (e.g. Longer spike or taller floor protector in the rear of each speaker)?  I'm assuming that the tilt is just to compensate for their height, but I don't know whether there is something else going on there acoustically that I should take into account.

I do like the look of the design of the ARCH product linked above.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2017, 12:46 am »
A customer of mine who has Super Alnico HO towers put an MDF plate (slightly larger than the speaker dimension) under his by attaching it to the bottom of the speaker using the spike inserts on the bottom of the speaker, then used Reference 3A spikes under the plates.  I forwarded the information with pictures on to Louis, so if anyone is interested, they can contact him.

My customer's words:

"Hi Rob,

Put the base plates on the Omega 1.5's today....... I cannot believe the improvement!  Pic attached.  I suspect some of it is dealing with my floor. 

The sound is totally released from the speakers, they don't exist physically.  Base is deeper and more controlled.  Clarity, placement and delineation greatly improved and in a darker background.  The presentation is so much more real and truthful; Instruments are more complete and natural, vocals so much more human.

I'm listening to a $6,000 speaker now...  Louis should offer plates with adjustable spikes as an upgrade.

Regards,

Bob"

I had Louis do something similar for me.  I had the bases on my original Super 7XRS Alnicos and had him do the same on the woofer model base to the SAMs.  I'm not sure what he used for the core material.  He covered them in a matte black vinyl veneer.  But I've not listened to them without the bases, so no comparison to offer.

You can't see in the photos, but I have Herbie's threaded feet - longer ones in front for the tilt.  I do have a bit of range for tilt adjustment with them.  Also, Herbie's fat dots between the monitors and woofers.

Super 7XRS Alnicos

SAMs/Rythmik based Woofer modules

...........Peter

tdogzthmn

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2017, 03:39 pm »
Dave,

The new GAIA III isolation feet or their stands?  Seems like the stands would raise the drivers up well beyond my ear level.

NB

I was also looking into the GAIA III feet to replace the spikes on my tower speaker.  Any other Omega owners tried these yet?

McNubbins

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2017, 02:03 pm »
I use a pair of IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 isolation stands under my Super 3XRS. The 3XRS are just at the top of the weight limit for these stands. I didn't want to get a taller or bigger stand so it wouldn't be bigger than the bottom side of the speaker. The stands do add a couple or three inches of height compared to being spiked to the floor. Where I bought them locally they were about $150.

I adjusted the tilt to approximate the tilt of the spikes but couldn't get it exactly the same. It's very close. I erred on the side of low because I listen from a legless floor couch.

My living room has wood flooring, not carpet, so my comments may not really be of use to the OP in his carpeted listening environment. I don't know how these would work on carpet with their rubberized flat feet. (I mean, I know you could put them there, it's just that they're not really anchored to anything floating around on the carpet rather than firmly on a wood or tile floor.)

On my wood floor, it does make a difference compared to spikes alone. The midrange is cleaner and clearer, the background is quieter, and the bass is tighter. It adds a noticeable amount of what you might call refinement. It's just better.

To echo what others have said, the thick 2 by 2.5m area rug I put in front of the speakers does make a bigger difference for less money.

Another reason I bought isolating stands was to keep some of the speaker vibration from going directly into my downstairs neighbours' ceiling. That's a benefit not to be overlooked for those of us in apartment situations.

My single very, very small reservation...is that they don't look quite as sleek and minimalistic on the ISO-L8R stands as they do on the spikes. But the stands are black, so the looks are not bad at all.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2017, 02:10 pm »
Arguments you should do X instead of Y and save big $ are always false dichotomies and should be banned from audio forums imo.

You can ALWAYS make that argument with ANYTHING and it's nonsense.

The truth is Iso stands are going to make an improvement on any floor, at least IME, and are worth trying. Many places have return policies in case it doesn't work for you.

McNubbins

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2017, 02:21 pm »
Arguments you should do X instead of Y and save big $ are always false dichotomies and should be banned from audio forums imo.

You can ALWAYS make that argument with ANYTHING and it's nonsense.

The truth is Iso stands are going to make an improvement on any floor, at least IME, and are worth trying. Many places have return policies in case it doesn't work for you.
I'm feeling a little singled out, seeing this minutes after my own post.

The ISO-L8R stands that I use are designed to work on solid surfaces, not the carpet the OP is asking about, but I offered my experience in case others are looking at this topic.

I believe in and have experienced the benefits of isolating stands and "room treatments" (a little soft stuff thrown around the room). That's why I use both.

If money were a concern and someone had a similar untreated, uncarpeted room like mine, I'd look into a cheap area rug first. The low hanging fruit, you know? What's wrong with that?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2017, 02:35 pm »
I'm feeling a little singled out, seeing this minutes after my own post.

That was not a response to your post, but in response to several other posts which suggest other, better ways to spend money besides speaker isolation.

The entire premise of the argument makes no sense at all, someone can always suggest some other way to spend money they think is better, but that's not the topic of the thread and has nothing valuable to add at all, besides insinuating that you're wasting your money, which is ridiculous imo.... As if it's a decision between one or the other and both can never be done. It's just one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard and it gets used all. the. time. It's just absurd...

McNubbins

« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2017, 02:53 pm »
That was not a response to your post, but in response to several other posts which suggest other, better ways to spend money besides speaker isolation.

The entire premise of the argument makes no sense at all, someone can always suggest some other way to spend money they think is better, but that's not the topic of the thread and has nothing valuable to add at all, besides insinuating that you're wasting your money, which is ridiculous imo.... As if it's a decision between one or the other and both can never be done. It's just one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard and it gets used all. the. time. It's just absurd...
Understood.

I'm going to take a step back. I really like the IsoAcoustics stands I've got, and they made a noticeable and positive difference. I hope I didn't accidentally imply that a proper isolating speaker stand should be in competition with a cheap piece of carpet. Isolating stands are an excellent upgrade to be looking at if you haven't tried them.

To be honest, I bought mine mainly to help deal with downstairs neighbour issues, not expecting any real change in sound quality. I was really surprised at the improvement.