La La Land

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
La La Land
« on: 9 May 2017, 01:39 am »
I actually love musicals.  Married to a theater teacher, I overcame my early prejudice against them to see them as their own art form.  But La La Land just doesn't hit the mark.  It's clear that the leads are actors that have been coached up to sing a little and dance a little... but not like real dancers or real singers.  Just doesn't work for me, and I can't see what the critics are raving about. 
But I may be wrong.  It may have turned into a great musical after the first 35 minutes when I walked away from it.

mcgsxr

Re: La La Land
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2017, 02:51 am »
I don't recall much singing after the first 35 minutes.

If I could have walked away I would have.  But being captive on a plane I kept watching.

It was OK.  Nothing more for me.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2017, 03:32 am »
I made it about 30 minutes in and it was a slog. Left my wife watching it and she fell asleep before the end. Left us both scratching our heads about all the hype.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2017, 04:00 am »
I felt is was probably the best picture of the year.  Maybe not the best "musical" in history but as a film I thought it was incredibly compelling.

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2017, 08:42 am »
I felt is was probably the best picture of the year.  Maybe not the best "musical" in history but as a film I thought it was incredibly compelling.

I'm with you. Compelling it was. Most enjoyable experience I've had at a movie in quite awhile. We saw it at the theater before the awards.
We love musicals too, go to the theatre often and love the classics, musical or whatever, a wonderful movie. I did like the soundtrack too.

It seems in our world, I'm 66, daughter 30, folks in my age group pretty much all loved it, the same with my daughter's millennials. In between our ages it was pretty hit and miss.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 03:55 am »
I'm with you. Compelling it was. Most enjoyable experience I've had at a movie in quite awhile. We saw it at the theater before the awards.
We love musicals too, go to the theatre often and love the classics, musical or whatever, a wonderful movie. I did like the soundtrack too.

It seems in our world, I'm 66, daughter 30, folks in my age group pretty much all loved it, the same with my daughter's millennials. In between our ages it was pretty hit and miss.

I don't want to include any spoilers even though the movie is six months old but I think the bittersweet ending was brilliant.  Oh, maybe you don't like it while you're walking out of the theater! :lol:  But it's a lot like life where what you think you want isn't necessarily what you need...or get.  It did tug on my heartstrings.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 04:03 am »
 :D as a Canuck Dude.   I think of USA as La La Land ,,,,    Ha. .   :D

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2017, 04:09 am »
I have mixed feelings about seeing it. Not a fan of musicals and dance related films. Sounds like it might have more substance to it? Next up for me is Lion

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2017, 01:54 pm »
:D as a Canuck Dude.   I think of USA as La La Land ,,,,    Ha. .   :D
These days it looks that way to most Americans, too.   :o

nhatduongchi

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2017, 04:58 am »
I'm also not a fan of musical but I enjoyed this movie, my "boss" loves it :)