Fork in the road

VonHess

Fork in the road
« on: 7 May 2017, 05:51 pm »
There isnt a lot locally so i buy much of my gear sight unseen/heard.  Ive beenpretty lucky so far.  I have read great feedback about odyssey performing well above its price point and i like the fact that there is a guy in Indiana handbuilding this stuff.  My current chain is a cambridge audio cd player and my PC fed into a parasound p5 going to 1) a B&K 4420 or 2) classdaudio.com sds 470. (I switch back and forth, 1 has a smooth laid back sound, 2 has a crisp accurate sound.  The speakers are spatial m2 turbo, and a diy 12" sealed sub.    I am thinking the next step up is better amplification.   My first option was suggested on another forum to keep the p5 and buy a parasound a21.  Used to new on this is about $1400 to $2200.  2nd option would be an odyssey amp and keep the p5  (the p5 does so much- balanced inputs, ht bypass,bass management) 3rd option is the odyssey amp and a Candela and either sell the p5 or put it in a bedroom system. 
I know this is an odyssey owners thread so i dont expect perfectly non-biased opinions, maybe just input from some who may have experience with both brands.  Thanks for your help

artur9

Re: Fork in the road
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2017, 06:44 pm »
I have a parasound a52, a five channel HT amp.  It works fine and is reliable and all that and I like Parasound as a company a lot due to their support etc.  I've used the a52 to power my centers, my mains, a sub etc.  It's been game for everything.

But... I find it light in the bass and it could not drive passive subs at all.  For mains it's clear sounding but lacks a little something.

I now have a old pair of Stratos monos.  They drive my mains beautifully and I have no complaints whatsoever.  They really do punch quite a bit above their price point.

My speakers are VA Haydns with a slightly difficult impedance curve.