SuperPhon 400S Stereo Power Amplifier

Harmon

SuperPhon 400S Stereo Power Amplifier
« on: 2 May 2017, 01:25 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the SuperPhon 400S Stereo Power Amplifier?  There is very little info on the net. 

goskers

Re: SuperPhon 400S Stereo Power Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2017, 02:40 pm »
I know that this was related to Stan Warren in some way.  Other details I am unaware of.

audio.bill

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2017, 04:45 pm »
I know that this was related to Stan Warren in some way.  Other details I am unaware of.

Yep, I owned one years ago. Nice amp designed by Stan Warren. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much about Stan lately.

goskers

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2017, 05:09 pm »
Yep, I owned one years ago. Nice amp designed by Stan Warren. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much about Stan lately.

I had my first amplifier modded by him.  Made most of my cables from a recipe of his.  All with my first pair of successful speakers which I built, Ellis Audio 1801s.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2017, 06:14 pm »
Check with Jam Somasundaram who works for Pass Labs. I worked with him many years ago and he sold me the same amp. He and Stan Warren (Superphon owner / designer, original co-founder of PS Audio) were friends.

Panelhead1

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2017, 06:42 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the SuperPhon 400S Stereo Power Amplifier?  There is very little info on the net.

These were very good amplifiers. Like most of the Superphon gear. Bipolar output stage. They changed to mosfet after this amp.
  These are over 30 years old. I would not pay a lot for one. The filter caps are getting OLD. A recapping would be in order.
  Someone that worked for Superphon had changed theirs to mosfet outputs and felt the sonics improved. Not sure if the driver stage and VBE were changed.

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2017, 08:54 pm »
I talked to Stan about 10 years ago. He also lived in Eugene Oregon. I later heard a local guy with some bucks had him designing a new line of products-different name. Not sure if Stan still lives in Eugene.