Umbrellas of Cherbourg - a movie haiku

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Umbrellas of Cherbourg - a movie haiku
« on: 1 May 2017, 12:05 am »
Preamble

Alright, I admit that I mainly watched this in preparation for watching La La Land with friends, many say Demy was an enigma of the French New Wave, because he made such charming movies like "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" which is the French equivalent of a Hollywood musical!  Warning, spoilers below.

Haiku

With it's saturated colors, lovely music and incredible charm, it's a beautiful film to watch:

It's a story of intense, young love and captures those feelings, visually, very well.

But what happens when one of you must leave and there's an absence?

Oh, things go very badly indeed.  And that shattering (yet also bittersweet) final scene.

Then I finally understood that Demy was using the form of a happy and light musical as a poison pill, and imparting yet again a real world sensibility and a sad but forgiving view of human foibles. 

And yet, not.  There's so much more to this seemingly simple and charming film.  Best to check it out for yourself!
« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 03:28 am by Tyson »

OzarkTom

Re: Umbrellas of Cherbourg
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2017, 11:09 am »
Have you seen La La Land? Does it follow the same story lines?

It was sad to see Guy not wanting to see his only child. It was none of the child's fault.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Umbrellas of Cherbourg
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2017, 06:08 pm »
Haven't seen La La Land yet, will do that in a week or so with some friends.

Re: the end scene, I felt like part of what made it so good was that Guy really was happy with his new family, recognized the missed opportunity (which was entirely not his fault), accepting it and embracing the choice he made.  That was beautiful.  But also sooooo sad.