Has anyone heard Schiit Freya?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Has anyone heard Schiit Freya?
« on: 24 Apr 2017, 11:51 am »
http://schiit.com/products/freya

$699.  Features: remote; balanced or single ended; relay attenuator; passive, JFET buffer, and 6SN7 gain stage, American made, 5 year warrantee.  Can you say value?

Has anyone had a good chance to hear it?

TIA

JohnR

Re: Has anyone heard Schiit Freya?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm »
I haven't, although FWIW my experience with Schiit gear is that you really do have to actually listen for yourself and ignore whatever forums say. The relay volume control is intriguing, although I'm not clear on the difference between a "sophisticated microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator" and an ordinary ol' "microprocessor-controlled relay-stepped attenuator".

DTB300

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2017, 05:25 pm »
It is a great little pre for $700 - and you can return in 15 days (pay return ship + ????) if you do not like.   If you think you will need a few more days, say three weeks, just ask Schiit for the extension.  If one does not want/need balanced connections there is the Saga Pre.

Remote - thin, coin battery remote - affordable design (did not want to say cheap), easily replaced by vendor.  Does what it needs to do.  For me volume buttons repeated to quickly - a minor quibble - could be my big hands.

Volume - Have had pre's with this type of volume so I am used to the clicking/relays.  .6dB over 128 steps is nice

Passive, JFET, Tube - Main reason I tried the Freya out - if one cannot afford a set of tubes then you can always run JFET.  Both modes are close IMO, but I like Tube Stage best.   You will read as many folks who like JFET as like Tube.   My IC's are too long to give Passive a true test to comment on.

Listening - Pre is nice out of the box & comes with Quad of 6H8C tubes - not bad (they work) but there are better tubes out there for it - and it was NOS for me.  I choose a Quad of 1950 RCA's that I have settled on.  Tried the stock tubes in the Cathode Followers, but went back to the RCA's.  Lots of 6SN7 choices out there for rolling - NOS and NP.   Some have loved New Production (Tung Sol is most mentioned) some have really trashed them.  Those who like swap/roll Power Cords in the Freya have stated positive results.

Complaints I have read:  Too Minimal design, has no volume level display, white LED's only, no way to turn off LED's, no HT pass-thru as the main items.

For $700 a great pre - can improve with tube rolling and still be under $1k - a nice Pre to audition and see if you like it in your rig.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2017, 10:51 pm »
i own one , love it! i am very much in agreement with DTB300 on most of his reply, except i am in the JFET camp, you can run the pre-amp without tubes if the JFET suit your system as it does mine. this is a fine sounding unit , and as your system changes over the years , you have three different pre-amps in one chassis to suit your needs. i use the Schiit Gungnir mulitbit..and soon to run a pair Vidars in mono block to a pair of Vandersteen 2ce MKII Signatures.

JLM

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm »
Thanks guys!

JohnR, isn't home audition always the best?

DTB300, seems like the complaints are minor snivelings in my mind/situation.  My current remote (DSPeaker) is barely more than a credit card remote with bubble buttons, so this should be a step up.  My runs will be 1 meter XLR, mono-block impedance will be 50-100K (new versus current mono-blocks), so perfect for passive.  I'm pretty much a tube newbie and so am out of my element when it comes to choosing tubes, but have read enough to know that the 6SN7 is perhaps the best preamp tube.  I'm after tube magic (palpability/body) without constant syrup or bass bloat.

Paddlefoot, also looking to partner with Gumby.  Do the tubes run while using passive or JFET buffered stages (I'm spoiled by all solid state and leave it all on 24/7 and when I did run a tubed integrated occasionally forgot to turn it off which drove me nuts)?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:35 pm »

Yes...

(?)

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2017, 12:51 pm »
have read enough to know that the 6SN7 is perhaps the best preamp tube. 

+1

bentconvert

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2017, 04:08 pm »
The tubes are on when in JFET mode but will run in JFET and passive with tubes removed as Paddlefoot stated. Another complaint from some over at Head-Fi forum.

Paddlefoot

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2017, 06:37 pm »
JLM, you can remove the tubes and run it either Passive or JFET mode, i prefer the JFET mode in my system. also in tube mode you can connect single ended RCA to the three RCA input and they will be convert to Balanced . this is a outstanding preamp for the money. As far as complainers on the Freya, they don't  like NOT having a switch to turn off the tubes and they STILL hate the OFF and ON switch on the back of the unit. but they are for the most part loving the sound.

DTB300

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2017, 06:58 pm »
Thanks guys!

DTB300, seems like the complaints are minor snivelings in my mind/situation.  My current remote (DSPeaker)
Then you will like the Freya if using the DSpeaker now for your pre.   Get some nice 6SN7 Tubes for it.

I agree you have to audition in your home with your Rig.  We can tell you stuff all day till the cows come home, but we all have our personal preferences.  Me I cannot run any of the NP 6SN7 tubes - just my tastes do not agree with them.

I'm after tube magic (palpability/body) without constant syrup or bass bloat.

Paddlefoot, also looking to partner with Gumby.  Do the tubes run while using passive or JFET buffered stages (I'm spoiled by all solid state and leave it all on 24/7 and when I did run a tubed integrated occasionally forgot to turn it off which drove me nuts)?
I have a Yggy with the Freya.   I do turn my Pre off when not using for many hours.   You can leave it on all the time, but then using up tube hours for nothing.   After awhile you get trained :)   

wout31

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2017, 08:13 pm »
I'm enjoying the Schiit Freya for some 3 months now. My 4th Schiit device now.
This is a massive upgrade from my Quad 44 pre-amp I used before.
Have replaced the default tubes with new paired balanced TungSols. However I keep preferring passive and JFET mode of the pre-amp.
Tubes are to noisy for my taste in combination with the Quad ESL63 electrostatic loudspeakers.
Digital feed is converted by the Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC (Gumby)
Now anxiously waiting for the Vidar power-amp to come out. Looks like it will be ready in May. Have to wait till June for my side of the ocean probably.

And what to think about new Schiit item EITR and "The Manhattan project" that Mike Moffat is working on.
I'm a Schiithead or whatever a Schiit fan is called.

Docere

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2017, 09:44 am »
Tubes are to noisy for my taste in combination with the Quad ESL63 electrostatic loudspeakers.

Are you saying saying tubes are noisy in general or in this unit? What does the noise sound like? Tube noise is either an issue with the tubes or implementation.

As for the 6SN7... it's a nice enough tube. If you need a med-gain, dual-IDHT that does not cost the Earth, it'll do the job.

Cheers.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:01 am »
wout31:

What are the Schiit EITR and "The Manhattan Project"?

Just ordered Freya, Gumby, and 1950's RCA 6SN7 tubes Andy at Vintage Tube Service recommended.  Unfortunately parts for Freya are on backorder, so delivery of Freya/Gumby isn't expected for a few weeks.   :(

Surprised that you'd experience tube noise from new tubes with ESL63s.  Give Andy a call.

Docere:

NickT at Schiit tells me the Freya gain is 10 dB single-ended and 20 dB balanced, so midrange I'd say.  Doubt if Freya is to blame.