PASS Devialet Modwright Wells Jeff Rowland Classe Bryston SimAudio ???

macrojack

• Restricted
Michael - There is room for debate as to whether or not Crazy Town is in your future. You admit to poring over travel brochures, reading travel blogs and fantasizing about the perfect trip. These are not healthy signs but should not prove fatal if you have money to waste.
While I do not know your precise circumstances, I have gathered from tidbits found in your posts that you have at least two permanent residences and that you are a travel junkie. Is any of that correct?

So --- to start with --- it would help your cause to design for a specific room, specific preferences, and a specific budget range.
My own feeling is that more efficient speakers always provide more options and a better pathway to true high fidelity. The more efficient the speaker, the more latitude you will have in amp selection. Your amplifier dollar goes much further if you cause it to address refinement rather than horsepower. Likewise, new gear is usually less cost effective than carefully selected used stuff.
If you are not concerned with vinyl, then you needn't be concerned with analog at all. You could also reduce the cost of your system by focusing your efforts in the 40 Hz. to 14 Khz. range and living without the frequency extremes. You'll still have more than 90% of your musical performance without the distraction and dilution of funds implicit in pursuing the arbitrary 20 to 20 bandwidth.
Start with parameters as to room size, SPL goal, source requirements, etc. Consider how much space and electricity you want to dedicate. And imagine something like a used pair of Usher or Coincident speakers powered by a LIO and fed by a laptop. What else do you need? State of the art (almost - but it is a relentlessly moving target) for $10K - $15K, depending on what you might already have (laptop?) and what deals you can find. Then you are done with that fixation and you can turn your attention to becoming the svelte, health-conscious mensch your wife wants you to be.

PS. -- As an alternative, you might consider a very refined pair of powered monitors like Russell Dawkins' K&H 0300 that he has listed on this site.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hello, macrojack. [Is there a microjack wandering around?]

Let's get my priorities right. If I pored over travel brochures, read travel blogs, and fantasized about the perfect trip, how could I possibly spend all my free time lusting after all things audio?  :rotflmao: [I know you were joshing me.]

Until last year, I had thought of our home in Taiwan as a vacation home. However, several things happened to make our Taiwan home the 'base' and our time in N. America 'vacation'. Back when Taiwan was the vacation home, my audio needs for it were very simple. Now that the US is not home base, all my US based gear is boxed up awaiting an eventual new home. I used to think I 'had to' have 20-20k capable speakers, but now realize that ~30Hz to something approaching 20kHz is enough or even what you suggested. It's likely my living room would get quite boomy if I placed big floor standing speakers in it, but that's treatable. My wife and I got the travel bug about 2 years ago.

I've managed to lose 3 kg so far, so my dream speakers aren't so far off.  :weights:

The longer I wait to buy new speakers, the more able to afford them I will become. I will only buy speakers with cash. The only big ticket item I purchase with credit is a home. I'm saving for nice speakers - potentially as much as $13.5k if I opt for new speakers; considerably less if I buy used speakers. I've pretty much set myself up to buy passive speakers. I really like my DSachs Model 2. I'm happily pursuing digital source - laptop, streamer, CDP all are good.

I'd forgotten about Russell's listing. I'm not sure it calls to me given my situation at this time.

When I began this thread, I didn't actually declare I wanted to buy an expensive amp. I was just soliciting people's opinions on high-end amps and how important they felt they were. It's a brainstorming thing. It helps feed my ADD.

Enjoy!

Michael

macrojack

• Restricted
Michael - I'm actually 5'5" and 147 lbs. So, if there were a Microjack, it would be me.

My advice would be to start reading reviews of the best speakers of years well past. There will be a lot of info and opinion about  items of that vintage. Coincident speakers came to mind because they were quite efficient and held in very high regard for a lotta years. Using something with efficiency approaching 100 db will allow you to use very low powered amps. A Berning Micro-Zotl could be just the ticket. If, like me, you don't really want to mess with tubes there are numerous low power Class A solid state amps out there that could work well for you, including Nelson Pass First Watt offerings. Also consider Plinius, Lavardin and Sugden. Red Gum is another possibility. An Accuphase class A integrated is another exciting possibility. Have fun. You may find during the next couple of years that you do not want to live in the U.S. due to forces I am forbidden to name here. Whatever you do -- good luck with it.

Big Red Machine

Wow, at 6'6" and 280 I'm like two of you! :o :shake:

mresseguie

Big Red,

You must lose 10kg before you may purchase your next amplifier.

I'm 6' 1" and 225 lbs.

macrojack

• Restricted
I'm going to turn 70 in August, hence I've lost some height over the last X# of years. And I'm also trying to lose some weight. I think 10 KGs lost could just about finish me but getting down below 140 would make me healthier, I suspect.

macrojack

• Restricted
Here you go:  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-rethm-maarga-2017-04-10-speakers-53185-wind-lake-wi

If your wife accepts the looks, these should keep you happy for a long time. Buy a LIO to go with them and modify it without having to replace. Vinnie will see to it that you never run out of upgrade opportunities.

Spending other peoples' money is fun. In fact, it may be more fun than audio.

mresseguie

macrojack,

You have been sent a pm.

macrojack

• Restricted
Got it and replied. Yes I live in Fruita.

Freo-1

You can find a used Pass X250.5 on Audiogon for around $4000-$4500.  They sold for over $8000 new. It is the a newer version of my X250 and I plan on upgrading to it as it is supposed to be a nice step up in sound.  The 250.8 is the latest version.  Be aware, they do get hot as they are class A to about 25wpc and they weigh 100 pounds.

Kind of a similar situation with Devialet.  A used 200 Expert can be had for 3500 to 4000.  The nice thing about that is:
1) You can get a second 200 later and upgrade to a 400.
2) No need to worry about a DAC, streamer, or phono section.  The Devialet does it all already.

OzarkTom

I've got to say that while all the high end gear I've owned sounded very good (and better than a midfi AVR receiver), the Devialet gear seems to be a step up sonic wise from the any other SS sets of gear I've owned.  If one looks at the performance specs of the Devialet 400 as an example, it has unparalleled SNR, distortion, and speaker impedance readings.  The fact that it's up-gradable via software, has speaker active matching is just icing on the cake.  No worries about interconnects with Devialet.  In fact, you can feed it via wireless if you wish.  It's one of things where you need to audition it in your environment with your speakers to fully appreciate just how good it is.   

I love the looks and features of Devialet, but there are a lot of used ones on the market, see hifishark. I wonder why?

Freo-1

I love the looks and features of Devialet, but there are a lot of used ones on the market, see hifishark. I wonder why?

Probably because the folks who can afford the "new prices" for them just get the latest and greatest flavor of the month component.  When the "expert pro" series came out, they simply sell their "expert" and get the latest version.  One often sees the same behavior with high end car purchases as well.

As I've stated earlier, in order to appreciate the level of sonic performance of Devialet, one needs to audition them in their home with their specific speakers (with SAM loaded). 

OzarkTom

Probably because the folks who can afford the "new prices" for them just get the latest and greatest flavor of the month component.  When the "expert pro" series came out, they simply sell their "expert" and get the latest version.  One often sees the same behavior with high end car purchases as well.

As I've stated earlier, in order to appreciate the level of sonic performance of Devialet, one needs to audition them in their home with their specific speakers (with SAM loaded).

There are even quite a few Experts for sale.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=devialet

Freo-1

There are even quite a few Experts for sale.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=devialet

The "expert" has been updated to the "expert pro".  It has a new AHD board.  The people who pay retail don't mind paying retail for the new "expert pro". 

I also suspect that since they are digital, they do not hold resale value like a McIntosh would.

There is no other audio setup that can match Devialet's measurements.   

roscoe65

Here you go:  https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-rethm-maarga-2017-04-10-speakers-53185-wind-lake-wi

If your wife accepts the looks, these should keep you happy for a long time. Buy a LIO to go with them and modify it without having to replace. Vinnie will see to it that you never run out of upgrade opportunities.

Spending other peoples' money is fun. In fact, it may be more fun than audio.

I heard a pair of of these powered by a Red Wine Audio Signature 30 some years ago at T.H.E. show at CES.  Under show conditions I thought these were the best sound at the show.

In this context, separating the bass reproduction from the rest of the speaker makes sense.  It can be hard to tune in the bass in full range speakers in a smaller space.  My own solution is to use stereo Rhythmik F8 subwoofers with my Omega speakers run full range.

mresseguie

I heard a pair of of these powered by a Red Wine Audio Signature 30 some years ago at T.H.E. show at CES.  Under show conditions I thought these were the best sound at the show.

In this context, separating the bass reproduction from the rest of the speaker makes sense.  It can be hard to tune in the bass in full range speakers in a smaller space.  My own solution is to use stereo Rhythmik F8 subwoofers with my Omega speakers run full range.

Roscoe65,

For about 1 1/2 years now my primary plan has been to buy awesome and amazing monitors (2-way or 3-way) and buy a pair of F8 subs to play the ~20 to ~110Hz range. If the monitors are small enough, I can bring them into Taiwan in my luggage (very well padded). Shipping the F8 to Taiwan will be slightly cheaper than shipping to the US. I'll eat the F8 import duty. However, if certain 2nd hand floorstanding speakers become available, or I can wrangle a nice discount on a demo pair of choice speakers, I may opt to import such speakers instead. [Gotta have a back up plan just in case I get lucky.] Hopefully, I'll have the answers by October.  :)

Mike-48

Michael

As you know, I'm using the AVA 400R. I don't know if I already told you, last fall I auditioned a few more expensive amps in my system.

The Pass X250.8 was very liquid, with a creamy midrange-forward sound that to me was strong with vocals but not my favorite with orchestral music.  A deal breaker for me was also the 450 watts of heat it put out at idle. That is as much as a small space heater. 

I loved the Classe ca2300 until its fan went on.  My room is crazy quiet, and i could hear it in soft musical passages.  Ugh!

The Sanders Magtech sounded cold and irritating to me. I'm sure it measures perfect.

Before the AVA, I owned a Bryston 14BSST2. I think it was subtly more to my taste than the AVA, which is not dismissing the AVA. After all  I wound up feeling that none of the ones I tried were worth buying to replace the AVA.  A local audio professional heard the 400R and guessed it was an $8000 amp.  I won't say is perfect, but dammed good.

Now my room is back in order, the one on my audition list is the Bryston 4B3. But I've got to sell some gear before  seriously considering it.

When you are in Portland, please come listen!

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2017, 04:30 pm by Mike in NC »

Carl V

Congratulations on a nice system & a nice room. Labor of love.
may I ask what are the two large "brown" rectangular upright items
behind your chairs yet in front of your Corner Traps?

Mike-48

Congratulations on a nice system & a nice room. Labor of love.
may I ask what are the two large "brown" rectangular upright items
behind your chairs yet in front of your Corner Traps?

Hi, Carl--

Thanks! It was a labor of love, indeed. The items you asked about are GIK Soffit Traps, like the ones in the front corners. In front, there are standard-height units on the floor, with slightly shorter ones (to fit the ceiling) stacked on them. In back, only the standard ones.

The room is regular in shape and well sealed against noise, which means it needed a lot of bass trapping to get decent sound. At some point in setting it up, I added the extra traps in back. The lighter-colored units in the rear corners are ASC Cube Traps (now called Tower Traps), originally bought for a different space (in NC as it happens) -- but of course they work fine in Oregon as well!

Happy listening!

GregC

I have Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers and I have found the Inline Maraschino amps from Digital Amplifier Company have excellent synergy.  I am using a Spread Spectrum Technologies Ambrosia Generation 2 pre-amp for a reference.